LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the LS your Beater or your Pride and Joy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-17, 12:42 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here, daily driver but feel proud and grateful I can drive such a capable vehicle.

On another note, my 11yr old nephew proceeded to "educate" me on fast cars last night, for hours on end. Corvette this, tesla that, etc etc. He did seem impressed I knew (and have driven) many of the cars he mentioned.

The concept of daily driver and how if you can afford a super/hyper car, it's likely one of 5-10 vehicles available for use. He thinks my LS is cool but "boring".
Old 05-22-17, 05:06 AM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The term "Beater" in a matter of relativity...

If you drove Ferrari and Bugatti around on the weekends and used a BMW M5 for your weekday grocery getter then that person would call his BMW a beater most likely, while most mortal humans would call that a damn nice car.

The moment I realized the LS460 was my beater was when I saw a spot next to 2 cars at the mall and decided to pull in to save myself from walking 10 more spots to the front door. In all the cars i've owned and would say are my "Pride and Joy", I would never even think to do that.

Of course I like to keep my grocery getter in good shape.. assuming this darn engine knocking isn't anything serious.
Old 05-23-17, 09:21 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by wakebord99
The term "Beater" in a matter of relativity...

If you drove Ferrari and Bugatti around on the weekends and used a BMW M5 for your weekday grocery getter then that person would call his BMW a beater most likely, while most mortal humans would call that a damn nice car. .
Good point, agreed.

The moment I realized the LS460 was my beater was when I saw a spot next to 2 cars at the mall and decided to pull in to save myself from walking 10 more spots to the front door. In all the cars i've owned and would say are my "Pride and Joy", I would never even think to do that.

Of course I like to keep my grocery getter in good shape.. assuming this darn engine knocking isn't anything serious.
You can still park between 2 cars in the mall, just make sure the 2 cars are NEW or mintly looking cars. The lession learned. If you park next to a beat up car, you can almost expect to get a dent on your doors but, if you park between 2 really nice cars, odds are very high that they would not want to damage their cars.

Of course, my car is that lonely car all the way at the end of the parking lot...
Old 05-24-17, 05:49 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Good point, agreed.

You can still park between 2 cars in the mall, just make sure the 2 cars are NEW or mintly looking cars. The lession learned. If you park next to a beat up car, you can almost expect to get a dent on your doors but, if you park between 2 really nice cars, odds are very high that they would not want to damage their cars.

Of course, my car is that lonely car all the way at the end of the parking lot...
When i take my nice cars to the mall.. and park all the way at the end of the lot I always come out to some POS car with flaky paint and dents all over parked way too close. I swear people just mess with you!
Old 05-24-17, 06:18 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

When i take my nice cars to the mall.. and park all the way at the end of the lot I always come out to some POS car with flaky paint and dents all over parked way too close. I swear people just mess with you!
Opposites attract. .
Old 05-24-17, 07:08 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Although it isn't a POS, I don't see why this individual had to choose the spot next to our LS (back when it was a 430) when so many other spots were available on either side.

Old 05-25-17, 09:20 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Some people go out of their way to do that on purpose when they see nicer cars parked far away in back just to mess with owners.
Old 05-25-17, 09:25 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

On the positive side, the person may be a like-minded individual wishing to protect their car on their driver's side by using up the space you gave biasing your car over to the right. It is hard to tell. To prevent any doubt, in this type of situation I usually very carefully drive the right side tires up on top of the curb, so the right side of the car is atop the curb. Have to be very careful of front bumper lower corner scrapes when doing this. My Wife thinks I'm insane when I do this, BTW.
Old 05-25-17, 09:38 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by UDel
Some people go out of their way to do that on purpose when they see nicer cars parked far away in back just to mess with owners.
It's funny, my coworker did the same thing and when I light-heartedly asked her why she didn't take the many other available spaces, her response was that she didn't do it intentionally and wasn't even aware of what she was doing. That morning there were clearly four cars parked in every other spot. There were still free spaces available without parking next to a car. My coworker said she has too many things on her mind in the morning (work, kids, dinner plans, etc.) to realize that other drivers are deliberately spacing their cars apart.
Old 05-25-17, 10:37 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
It's funny, my coworker did the same thing and when I light-heartedly asked her why she didn't take the many other available spaces, her response was that she didn't do it intentionally and wasn't even aware of what she was doing. That morning there were clearly four cars parked in every other spot. There were still free spaces available without parking next to a car. My coworker said she has too many things on her mind in the morning (work, kids, dinner plans, etc.) to realize that other drivers are deliberately spacing their cars apart.
I have heard people joking about doing that to nice cars/owners and was a passenger with someone who did that at a mall who laughed about it, I just shook my head even though I did not own a expensive at the time. Because of that I generally don't do it, I am sure some people purposely ding nicer cars when they see them parked far away from other cars. Taking up 2 spaces is just asking for your car to get messed with/damaged and I have seen that too. I do try to avoid cart return areas and parking next to vehicles with young kids.
Old 05-25-17, 11:36 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by UDel
I do try to avoid cart return areas and parking next to vehicles with young kids.
I do the same as well. In the rare case that I must park between two vehicles, I actually am relieved if they are family minivans with the sliding doors. No chance they'll ding my car door...unless their child takes a flying leap out of the van.
Old 05-25-17, 05:25 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I do the same as well. In the rare case that I must park between two vehicles, I actually am relieved if they are family minivans with the sliding doors. No chance they'll ding my car door...unless their child takes a flying leap out of the van.
The family SUV is public enemy number one, whenever I see one of them pull into the spot next to me I think...there's going to be a lot of doors opening up...with a lot of young and distracted hands swinging them.
Old 05-25-17, 08:06 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'll admit to being a bit of an A-hole.....

There have been times where a car has purposely parked their vehicle across two parking spaces. This wasn't at an end of a lot but right in the prime spots with no other spots around. I MIGHT have parked my car right up against the driver door (ok...I DID). Obviously this was not with my LS, but a government vehicle or my old beater pick up. Those folks would have had a heck of a time getting in their vehicle, let alone getting out of their spot.
Old 05-25-17, 08:33 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'll admit to being a bit of an A-hole.....

There have been times where a car has purposely parked their vehicle across two parking spaces. This wasn't at an end of a lot but right in the prime spots with no other spots around. I MIGHT have parked my car right up against the driver door (ok...I DID). Obviously this was not with my LS, but a government vehicle or my old beater pick up. Those folks would have had a heck of a time getting in their vehicle, let alone getting out of their spot.
I do find this amusing, Chris, and have thought about doing the same but have never followed through due to a fear of retribution towards my own car and/or not sure how I would handle a confrontation with the other driver. Would they be a douchebag about it or would they be able to see the humor/irony in it with me? Have you come out of the store at the same time as the other driver, Chris? If so, what was their reaction and how did it play out?
Old 05-26-17, 08:05 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I do find this amusing, Chris, and have thought about doing the same but have never followed through due to a fear of retribution towards my own car and/or not sure how I would handle a confrontation with the other driver. Would they be a douchebag about it or would they be able to see the humor/irony in it with me? Have you come out of the store at the same time as the other driver, Chris? If so, what was their reaction and how did it play out?
LOL. I've only done this a couple of times when in a bad mood, but never had a confrontation or reprisal. Never would do this on your side of the border with everyone carrying a gun!

Quick Reply: Is the LS your Beater or your Pride and Joy?