LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Owning a 2008 LS460 in Florida, Pro's/Con's as a first time Lexus owner.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-17, 02:26 AM
Wilson1046
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Owning a 2008 LS460 in Florida, Pro's/Con's as a first time Lexus owner.

I'm a first time Lexus owner, bought my 2008 LS460 in Nov 2015 with 39K. It's a Florida car sold first in Orlando in 2008 and has stayed in state since.
I've owned 7 cars in my lifetime, in order a 1991 Chevy Caprice, 1996 Chevy Impala SS, 2004 Dodge Ram Single Cab, 1992 Toyota Camry Station Wagon, 2006 Toyota Camry LE, 1993 Chevrolet Corvette, and now a 2008 Lexus LS 460.

You want roominess, luxury, 4 doors, comfort, and performance without modding. This is the car.

Pros
- Greatest Engine/Transmission combo from Toyota I've ever driven personally. 380HP V8 with an 8 speed automatic, while I argue with the throttle and the transmission occasionally, fantastic feedback and response in overall daily driving. The car responds to the throttle 99% of the time the way I want it to.
- Interior quality, no squeaks, rattles, every single switch and button works after 8 years.
- Safety, I bought this car as an upgrade because I drive home normally on weekends 26 miles between 2am-4am on I-95 in South Florida. My 2006 Camry was doing fine, but only had front airbags, at that time of night it was only a matter of time before I got hit. My 8 year old "new" car has side curtains, and knee airbags, plus an additional 1000lbs. I still may get hit but I'm better equipped.

Cons
- Interior melting lawsuit, Toyota settled after a class action from South Florida for. Although I'm not officially, in the recall, I argued with Lexus Corporate that the car was manufactured 12/07. JM Lexus assured me they would take care of it 10 months ago
Old 05-13-17, 02:53 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Gotta love God's waiting room when it comes to finding cars like that with absurdly low miles. After living there for 10 years (Siesta Key), I was shocked at just how many ultra low mileage luxury cars that were available.
How many miles do you have on it now?

Makes sense both from snowbirds who keep cars like this to use between Thanksgiving and Easter before heading back North (carpetbaggers! ) and also really elderly folks who live year round who barely drive their cars.

Dealing with getting the door panels, dashboard, and glove box on my 460 as well. Aside from getting the glove box replaced which required approval from Lexus corporate, the rest of it the dealer got approved no problem last time I had it there for an oil change.

I would highly recommend getting Huper Optik nano ceramic tint which I had on my Infiniti M45 when I lived there. The heat rejection was nothing short of astonishing. While I know there are other similar options, Huper I found out about from the both the local Porsche clubs down there and also many of the Porsche forums swear by it. Ferrari folks are also quite taken with Huper as well. Spendy, but worth it.

Last edited by Junglequac; 05-13-17 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-13-17, 05:11 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

This is my first Lexus as well, previously owned many different cars...Honda Accord, CRV, Corvette, Ram pickup (I could go on for days). But I work in the industry and I've driven everything - I mean everything - from a Prius to a Porsche. In all honest the best cars I've "driven" is probably the BMW products, but they're are just so unreliable and difficult to work on. But they just drive so nice. I'm not a fan of Audi or Mercedes. Caddy's are a huge disappointment in my opinion. The Lexus brand is universally praised and thoroughly appreciated by experienced ASE technicians - if you want to hear praise from a tech about a car brand ask them about Lexus. And believe me most techs think cars are junk. I've had many techs run over to my car when it's been up on the lift and point out the quality and thought that went into the construction of this vehicle (and I agree 100%).

Things I don't like about this car...the screen lockout (drives me crazy), wind noise (I've done the fix), seats (driver's seat is looking rough), the fact that the rear seats don't fold down (I can't stand that). Other than that the car is a total beast, I have 154,000 miles on it and it still drives like a new car...and it's had less problems than my old Honda Accord.

And my LS was a Florida car...spent five years there. It was one of the reasons I bought it (rust free underneath). Haven't had issues with melting interior yet, maybe it was garaged and not parked outside much? No idea.

Last edited by Doublebase; 05-13-17 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-16-17, 03:14 PM
Wilson1046
Driver School Candidate

Smile

55,000 miles so far and no navigation on mine. Just the way I like it, someone described on this forum the no navigation option on this car, as the console looking like it belonged in the shuttle.
Old 05-16-17, 04:18 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilson1046
55,000 miles so far and no navigation on mine. Just the way I like it, someone described on this forum the no navigation option on this car, as the console looking like it belonged in the shuttle.
Wow. That is pretty rare not to have navigation. While I don't ever use mine. I cannot remember, in place when of the nav screen is there a double DIN opening for adding an aftermarket nav/DVD/Apple CarPlay setup?
Did that to my LX470 (which my older brother just purchased back from the guy I sold it to) and it has a almost $5000 aftermarket sound system which is phenomenal.

I am would definitely hate not having the Mark Levenson audio system which for an OEM is fantastic.
Old 05-16-17, 08:20 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in SFL as well. I would be curious to compare wind noise to my '07
Old 05-16-17, 09:53 PM
Wilson1046
Driver School Candidate

I haven't done the mirror fix yet, but my drivers side weather stripping is also getting pinched inward towards the top of the window. Highway can be obtrusive as hell right now, specifically my mirror. On better days when stripping isnt pinched, and mirror isnt get hit on the wrong angle its whisper quiet at 80.
Old 05-16-17, 10:06 PM
leonrojo18
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I haven't done the mirror fix yet, but my drivers side weather stripping is also getting pinched inward towards the top of the window. Highway can be obtrusive as hell right now, specifically my mirror. On better days when stripping isnt pinched, and mirror isnt get hit on the wrong angle its whisper quiet at 80.
The mirror fix didn't help mine and the window bump does not affect it, I'm leaning towards weather strip replacement.