LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H
View Poll Results: the hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off
Is this a manufacture defect problem
62.50%
has this problem happened to your vehicle
100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-17, 01:18 PM
Shangxuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off

My vehicle is out of warranty, but because it is LS460 L 2007 model and my parents paid a lot when they purchased it from dealership when brand new and up to now the vehicle only been driven approximately 77,000 km. It is very sad to see the hubcaps/rims are bubbled paint and peeling off. The most angry part is the manufacture does not take any responsible of it. Can someone tell me what should I do? I totally believe it is manufacture defect because I saw other people also had the same issue. Please see the picture. Thank you all
Attached Thumbnails Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5752.jpg   Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5754.jpg   Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5755.jpg   Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5756.jpg   Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5757.jpg  

Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5758.jpg   Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5759.jpg   Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off-img_5760.jpg  
Old 05-09-17, 01:51 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

These are, unfortunately, extremely poor quality wheels, I've had this on my Infiniti and now on my LS 460, never had this kind of problem on my german cars, by the time you want to refinish them it would make more sense to buy new wheels (not Lexus ones anyway !) just check the Tire Rack.
Old 05-09-17, 01:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Unfortunately what you should do is buy some rims on eBay, there's plenty of stock LS rims on there that appear to be in good condition. Or you could get them powder coated or painted, but that's goi to run the same or more than another pair of used rims. Or you could buy aftermarket.

And as as you already mentioned...Lexus won't do anything, and that would be the case for any other manufacturer that I can think of. The car is ten years old, most cars that are ten years old are driven around with aluminum rims that look just like that.

I don't want to be rude here but based on the pictures of those rims, those things don't appear to have been well cared for. I mean that's a serious buildup of brake dust on those rims...and if you live in an area that uses a lot of salt to treat the roads in the winter?? Forget about it, they're done. My LS is ten years old and I have a very small amount of bubbling on one rim, but that's about it (but also clean them once a week, and believe me they need it).

I'd just buy some rims on eBay.
Old 05-09-17, 02:19 PM
Shangxuan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for your replies. The sad thing is I cannot drive this vehicle in the winter especially not in the snow road condition. It has been seating in the garage through out the winter. I guess I should wash it before leave it in the garage. But still by looking at the bubbling, its from inside. I feel this is the poor craftsmanship. I have other vehicles but none of them has this problem. I guess if the manufacture is not going to do anything about it I will take the advise to buy spare hubcaps from ebay.
Old 05-09-17, 02:27 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Bubbling and buildup of brake dust are two different things, high end car wheels should not have this "bubbling" problem even after 10 years...obviously the wheels need to be cleaned quite often but, again, these are very low quality wheels....
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (05-12-17)
Old 05-09-17, 02:47 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Unfortunately what you should do is buy some rims on eBay, there's plenty of stock LS rims on there that appear to be in good condition.

I don't want to be rude here but based on the pictures of those rims, those things don't appear to have been well cared for. I mean that's a serious buildup of brake dust on those rims...and if you live in an area that uses a lot of salt to treat the roads in the winter?? Forget about it, they're done. My LS is ten years old and I have a very small amount of bubbling on one rim, but that's about it (but also clean them once a week, and believe me they need it).
Buying some rims is exactly what I have started to look for. My front wheels are even worse than Shang's. I don't have much brake dust since I use Akebono ceramic pads, and even in the coldest days of winter I bring out a flexible hose to wash down the wheels and the undercarriage. So unfortunately even well cared for wheels can suffer this misfortune. I appreciate that you said it very well in not intending to be rude, but please know that neglected or well cared for, this crap can happen to these wheels. Plus, for four winters I never even drove my LS as I still had my Infiniti Q45a.

Originally Posted by tx170754
Bubbling and buildup of brake dust are two different things, high end car wheels should not have this "bubbling" problem even after 10 years...obviously the wheels need to be cleaned quite often but, again, these are very low quality wheels....
My only two disappointments with this car are the deteriorating wheels and the deteriorating drip strips that run from the A to C pillars.
Old 05-09-17, 02:50 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

Same problem here... all rims are bubbling or chipping... sigh... Lexus wheels suck... My LS430 was doing the same thing...
Old 05-09-17, 03:37 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

MY LS430 and RX350 did the same thing. I then bought a new set and made sure I kept them dry and clean and had no issues. Not sure if it the dirt plus moisture that does it or what but for some reason Lexus has issues with wheels. It was even worse for my chrome ones of the LS430 and those were very expensive to fix if I wanted to. Most places refused to do it because they were already chromed. It was cheaper to buy new wheels. I am fairly certain that a rim repair place (some even have mobile trucks) could repair yours because they are alloy finish not chrome. I am sure cost varies by location.
Old 05-09-17, 04:12 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Buying some rims is exactly what I have started to look for. My front wheels are even worse than Shang's. I don't have much brake dust since I use Akebono ceramic pads, and even in the coldest days of winter I bring out a flexible hose to wash down the wheels and the undercarriage. So unfortunately even well cared for wheels can suffer this misfortune. I appreciate that you said it very well in not intending to be rude, but please know that neglected or well cared for, this crap can happen to these wheels. Plus, for four winters I never even drove my LS as I still had my Infiniti Q45a.

My only two disappointments with this car are the deteriorating wheels and the deteriorating drip strips that run from the A to C pillars.
Yeah I didn't realize these wheels don't hold up, I've never heard anyone around her mention it (but then again I haven't been in the forum that long). Mine are fine, but that doesn't mean much (plus one of the wheels is going bad). I'm just used to seeing wheels in rough shape - livin in New England I see it all the time.

Someone mentioned BMW's wheels being of high quality and holding up better, I have no doubt that is the case...if BMW has done one thing right it's paint. The quality of their paint is phenomenal, especially compared to Lexus (I haven't been too happy with the paint on this car, it's thin).
Old 05-09-17, 05:29 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Unfortunate situation the rims are bubbled and peeling off but maybe is related to age and all the salt used on highways up north. I don't know how common this is but most vehicles (regardless of make) that's about 10 years old should have some imperfections such as peeling, nicks, scars and scratches. Many members have mentioned Lexus paint being thin and not up to par but I believe it's just as good as any BMW, MB etc and eventually time will take its total.
Old 05-09-17, 05:31 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

BMW, Mercedes Porsche and especially Audi have incredible paint quality, the wheels however are part of their supply base ( like a lot of other components) which obviously are in a completely different league then Lexus supply...The paint on Lexus is thin but what's really disapointing is that the clear coat is even worse, but I guess in the end that's how they make a lot of money, cutting corners, I'm not so sure for how long. This his my first Lexus ( and the second japanese car) I've bought it with less than 20,000 miles, I'm still debating if it is a truly quality car ( paint issues, interior panels,rattles,wheels bubbling etc. etc.) I have called Lexus customer service about the interior panels problem,it was the worst customer experience I've ever had....It looks to be a nice car but I'm glad I also drive Mercedes and Audi....I've bought the car in January and my wife already is insisting on getting rid of it...One thing for sure the Q45 that I still have was a completely different car, at 85,000 miles it doesn't have ANY of the issues my Lexus have...
Old 05-11-17, 08:52 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Look at having them powder coated.
Old 05-12-17, 12:08 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm from Canada like you and I've owned LS vehicles over the years starting with a '94.

Every one of them had paint cracked like this eventually but I've always played it off to winter salt exposure here in Ontario.
Also, in searching for cars to buy and just seeing Lexus vehicles on the streets, the OE rims... kinda just do that. It's everywhere. I've seen it starting on vehicles as new as a 2009 GS450h with the 5 spoke 18s.

In 2014 I found a set of unused OE chrome rims for my '02 and they were in perfect condition.
The guy I bought them from had stored them when he put aftermarkets on years before.

I've never really considered it a defect on a 10 year old car in a cold region.

Also I wonder if the brake dust is always on your rims as it is in the photos, that could definitely speed corrosion of the rims as the dust coating will hold more moisture and salt against the paint.
I wonder if the dusty high friction pads may be part of the cause...? Meh

Last edited by dfkd; 05-12-17 at 12:17 AM.
Old 05-12-17, 06:55 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I wonder how much it would cost to have the rims pulled, scrapped/cleaned up and re-painted....
Old 05-12-17, 07:13 AM
tx170754
Intermediate

It around $110 each where I live, they're coming with their truck and are doing it in a parking lot, the job is not too bad but at that price you can buy new aftermarket ones...

Quick Reply: Hubcaps/rims bubbled paint and peeling off