LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Would you buy an 08 with 180k mi if it was dealer maintained on schedule

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-17, 02:27 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'm one of only a handful of owners on here that actually have "high mileage", and although I can attest that the LS460 ages well, I wouldn't buy one with 180,000 miles on it (or any vehicle with 180k). You're stepping into the game very late at that point - it's one thing if you're already the one owning it all along - then you'd know exactly what you have and where you can go heading forward with it. But not knowing how those 180,000 miles were driven? Forget it. Don't care if it's for $8,000, I wouldn't even consider it.

And and I don't care what type of car you think you own...a car with 180,000 miles plus is aged. There's things that are worn...lots of them. This is when you're going to start to see gaskets and seals go. This is when the suspension is really starting to wear out and needs serious attention. This is where you could experience major component failure. And at the very least you are heading into the alternator and starter failure zone...and throw in a couple O2 sensors while you're at it. And that's for a well maintained vehicle - it's going to happen - if it's not? Let's say the coolant and tranny hasn't been serviced, or the guy didn't change his oil...now you just walked into a big mistake.

I'll be at 180,000 miles this time next year...love the car...it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, but I'll be heading into different territory at that mileage. I'm comfortable with that because I know how I've taken care and driven my car.

Last edited by Doublebase; 05-04-17 at 02:32 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
dlbuckls10 (05-04-17), steedls400 (04-20-18)
Old 05-04-17, 02:40 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Check out the 2007s and 2008s on craigslist for pricing info. They tend to be high mileage cars (150,000). Also, check out Kelly Blue Book, NADA and Edmunds.

There are lots of 200,000 mile cars being driven out there, none of which are as reliable as the LS. If all of the maintenance was done according to the manufacturers schedule, you should be OK.
Old 05-04-17, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'm one of only a handful of owners on here that actually have "high mileage", and although I can attest that the LS460 ages well, I wouldn't buy one with 180,000 miles on it (or any vehicle with 180k). You're stepping into the game very late at that point - it's one thing if you're already the one owning it all along - then you'd know exactly what you have and where you can go heading forward with it. But not knowing how those 180,000 miles were driven? Forget it. Don't care if it's for $8,000, I wouldn't even consider it.

And and I don't care what type of car you think you own...a car with 180,000 miles plus is aged. There's things that are worn...lots of them. This is when you're going to start to see gaskets and seals go. This is when the suspension is really starting to wear out and needs serious attention. This is where you could experience major component failure. And at the very least you are heading into the alternator and starter failure zone...and throw in a couple O2 sensors while you're at it. And that's for a well maintained vehicle - it's going to happen - if it's not? Let's say the coolant and tranny hasn't been serviced, or the guy didn't change his oil...now you just walked into a big mistake.

I'll be at 180,000 miles this time next year...love the car...it's the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, but I'll be heading into different territory at that mileage. I'm comfortable with that because I know how I've taken care and driven my car.
I agree 100%.
Old 05-04-17, 03:07 PM
anthony1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just be patient. Your car is out there somewhere with less miles. It took me over 6 months to find mine. When I haggled with the salesman, I was prepare to walk away if he didn't give it to me at what I thought was a fair price. In fact, I told him that I was sorry for wasting his time and got up.... He gave in. He was $450.00 off. I didn't budge even when he wanted to go half way. It helped that I knew that it was sitting on the lot for about a month. I also told him that he was competing with two other newer cars ( not really) with lower miles and from a private owners that I can fudge the price for tax purposes.
Good luck. with your search.
Old 05-04-17, 03:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Don't care if it's for $8,000,
geez,,.......PLEASE let me know if you come across a high mileage LS460 for 8k dollars. I will personally fly out and get it. Well....that is unless Greg beats me to it!
Old 05-04-17, 03:19 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony1
Just be patient. Your car is out there somewhere with less miles. It took me over 6 months to find mine. When I haggled with the salesman, I was prepare to walk away if he didn't give it to me at what I thought was a fair price. In fact, I told him that I was sorry for wasting his time and got up.... He gave in. He was $450.00 off. I didn't budge even when he wanted to go half way. It helped that I knew that it was sitting on the lot for about a month. I also told him that he was competing with two other newer cars ( not really) with lower miles and from a private owners that I can fudge the price for tax purposes.
Good luck. with your search.
Great advice. As I am pathalogically averse to making car payments, it really upped the ante for me in terms of balancing price, mileage, service history and so forth. To this day, I have yet to see one that is a better deal the the one I have.

Every time I walk up to the car, I still find it looks awesome whereas I was almost repulsed by the LS430 Ultra Luxury that I purchased from my brother. I do think the gold package, tinted windows, chrome Lexus front plate and pearl white paint was just not my thing. Missed my LX470 everyday I had that thing except when going to the gas station.
Old 05-04-17, 03:25 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
geez,,.......PLEASE let me know if you come across a high mileage LS460 for 8k dollars. I will personally fly out and get it. Well....that is unless Greg beats me to it!
Like I alluded to earlier, a car with similar mileage sold here in Tennessee in two days and the car was listed for $12,000. My sister in law's ES330 has almost 400,000 miles and just today my brother put it on Craigslist and that was only because they are literally out of space on the driveway.
Old 05-04-17, 03:30 PM
anthony1
Rookie

As a teaser... This is what I found...
I also found the 540I with 44K a few yrs back...
Old 05-04-17, 03:52 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Very nice and about the same price as I paid for mine after repairing the dent on the trunk. Especially impressive with it being from a dealer as I purchased mine from the original owner in North Carolina and he had it sold over a dozen times over. The complete dealer service history with full synthetic oil changes every 5K and brand new Michelins and brakes really sealed it for me. It did have almost 10,000 miles more than yours and is Obsidian Black which is one of my favorite colors on these cars. Not sure how much I would like it in Arizona or even this Summer in Tennessee as I purchased it last Fall.
Old 05-04-17, 03:58 PM
Torii
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

my bud bought a bmw 750il for 10k at auction with 225k miles, within a 1st few months had to fix 1 headlight which was over 3k installed used part from junkyard...so its a gamble.
Old 05-04-17, 04:22 PM
anthony1
Rookie

My wife will drive it most of the time. I'm driving it just to get all the kinks out.... like control arm bushings, "wook" sound from the brakes when press more after stopped ( still researching that one )
My dd is the 540i with 6spd manual and sports package. I paid 8700 for that one over 2 yrs ago.

Oh, sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread...
I'd say to keep looking. You'll be happier with the purchase down the road.
Old 05-06-17, 06:36 AM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Well I ended up taking her home. Drives great. Get this, I was able to buy a 5 yr/100k mileage extended warranty for 1300 that covers engine, tranny ac and electrical system. Hopefully I don't need to use it but definitely gives me peace of mind. I ended up paying about 11k before taxes and tags and my trade in (got 1900 for my 98 ES 300 151k see this thread).

Quite pleased so far. Great service records. Was last at local lexus dealership in February for rear brake job and regular maintenance.

Old 05-06-17, 09:47 AM
anthony1
Rookie

Congrats! Looks great. Control arms been replaced? Does your warranty covers that?
Old 05-06-17, 07:23 PM
Benjam1n
Pole Position

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks a lot. It is great, definitely the best car I've ever drove in so many ways.

Doesn't look like the control arms have been replaced looking at the mylexus.com service notes but a lot of them are incomplete so who knows. No that would not be covered.

Heres the warranty brochure:

Old 05-06-17, 11:24 PM
anthony1
Rookie

Hmm. Have a mechanic lcheck it out. Maybe there's no record of it, that's all.

Quick Reply: Would you buy an 08 with 180k mi if it was dealer maintained on schedule