LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Transmission Leak/Bad Solenoid After Transmission Flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17, 08:32 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Transmission Leak/Bad Solenoid After Transmission Flush

Had my 2010 LS460 Sport serviced at a local Toyota Dealer which included a Transmission flush. A few days later I noticed some drips on the garage floor. Took it back and the Dealer is indicating that a bad solenoid is to blame and the fix is $1200!! Seems very suspicious that the leak developed right after the flush service. Below are some possible scenarios but I wanted some opinions from the experts:

-Flush loosened some crud that wound up in the solenoid?
-Dealer didn't follow procedure (techstream) and somehow goofed up solenoid?
-Would overfilling cause this issue?
-just frickin bad luck?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-17, 09:22 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

I'm gonna say your first guess is most likely. How much was the service if you don't mind me asking?
Old 05-02-17, 09:35 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

How would a bad solenoid cause a fluid leak - aren't they all internal to the sealed transmission? And even if any are external. I don't see how they could cause a bad fluid leak.
Old 05-02-17, 09:55 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

I had them do some a la carte service....tranny coolant brake flush, and Oil/filter. Cost around $900 if I recall. Spark plugs were $591 installed...did those myself LOL
As far as the solenoid, I need to get more details from them. They said the solenoid was acting as a pathway to leak fluid down to the pan (originally I thought it was pan leak).
Old 05-02-17, 10:10 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sktn77a
How would a bad solenoid cause a fluid leak - aren't they all internal to the sealed transmission? And even if any are external. I don't see how they could cause a bad fluid leak.
More details: So the Solenoid wiring is acting like a wick and sucking up fluid slowly over driving cycles (warming/cooling). Apparently, its the solenoid seal? that started leaking after the flush. The theory is that the flush loosened sediment against the seal and now it weeps. Toyotas fix is to replace the solenoid. Its a ***** to get to so I think even if I did some sort of patch on the outside to seal it, you are better off replacing the entire part.
Thoughts?
Old 05-02-17, 10:55 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Hey, their service caused the problem. Take t back and tell them to fix the leak they caused!
Old 05-02-17, 10:57 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

I would imagine most flushes come with liability clauses. Check your paperwork closely before going after the dealer to fix.
Old 05-02-17, 04:05 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I agree with Keith....get the dealer to man-up. At the very least they should offer some goodwill gesture...

This was a common issue on the BMW 7 series and X5. Basically it's a solenoid that mounts externally to the transmission and the gasket or solenoid itself can leak. on my 7 series, it cost me 700 dollars at an indy to replace. part was 30 bucks or so. LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Kbueno (05-04-17)
Old 05-04-17, 07:39 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I agree with Keith....get the dealer to man-up. At the very least they should offer some goodwill gesture...

This was a common issue on the BMW 7 series and X5. Basically it's a solenoid that mounts externally to the transmission and the gasket or solenoid itself can leak. on my 7 series, it cost me 700 dollars at an indy to replace. part was 30 bucks or so. LOL.
Well, the Dealer was pretty stiff...10% off and didn't charge me for Loaner. About $1k in the end, mostly labor to unbolt tranny to get to solenoid. I should've probably done the flush at 50k or not al all and just drain and fill. They did say that the fluid was very dirty and had some "sediment". Sludge against solenoid seal loosened, then a leak. So much for Lifetime fluid!
Old 05-04-17, 08:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

So much for Lifetime fluid!
A much debated topic here at CL. Personally I don't believe any fluid is lifetime. Even the term "lifetime" is up for debate...lifetime of what? The transmission until it implodes? Lifetime of the car? YOU'RE lifetime?

Call it "Long Life" if you want, but no fluid is lifetime IMHO. Also, understand that only the US market advertises the fluid as lifetime. Likely to compete with other manufacturers that advertise it as such. In Canada and other countries, the requirement is to change every 60k miles (or so) or risk losing your warranty. My manual specifically lists it in the service schedule. For 149 bucks at my local Toyota dealer, it's a no-brainer.
DrQuality (08-06-21)
Old 05-04-17, 04:15 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Lifetime fluid is a term invented by the auto manufacturer not the transmission manufacturer. AF who makes the 8 speed in my Audi has recommended service intervals but Audi calls it a lifetime fluid. Aisin who makes the transmission in the LS also has recommended service intervals but Lexus North America calls it a lifetime fluid. It's marketing BS.
Old 05-04-17, 08:23 PM
GenXY
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

After reading several posts on this forum, I inquired about having the transmission serviced on my LS with 85K but the shop foreman at the local Lexus dealer strongly advised against it. It works fine right now and I didn't opt for an extended warranty so I am inclined to just follow their advice, rather than risk something like this thread happening.
Old 05-05-17, 06:54 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

first time hearing this happening to a LS460 8-speed transmission.
they are thought to be robust and almost bullet proof.
I've done 3 times drain & fill on my 09 LS460 during the past 4 months, replacing ~2500ml of WS fluid each time, with help of a temp-gun (46~55 C)
so far so good.
Old 05-05-17, 09:51 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GenXY
After reading several posts on this forum, I inquired about having the transmission serviced on my LS with 85K but the shop foreman at the local Lexus dealer strongly advised against it. It works fine right now and I didn't opt for an extended warranty so I am inclined to just follow their advice, rather than risk something like this thread happening.
Probably okay to empty and fill, would definitely recommend against a flush of any kind.
Old 05-05-17, 10:26 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Done three drain and fills since owning the car (now at 151,000 miles). No issues whatsoever.
Ajls460 (09-27-17)

Quick Reply: Transmission Leak/Bad Solenoid After Transmission Flush