ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017-178/)
-   -   Lexus is Replacing the Dashboard and Door Panels (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/854406-lexus-is-replacing-the-dashboard-and-door-panels.html)

Junglequac 04-25-17 04:59 PM

Lexus is Replacing the Dashboard and Door Panels

Hello,
Hope that everyone is doing well and I wish you all a Happy Spring and belated Easter.

Since purchasing the car, I have noticed when the sun hits the area around the armrest that it feels really gummy or sticky. While I had failed to mention it prior, this time I brought it up and to my utter and complete amazement, they are going to go ahead and replace all four door panels and the dashboard.

While not completely surprised about at least the driver's side door panel, I am utterly shocked that they are replacing the dashboard as it is neither showing signs of melting nor does there appear to be any cracks or anything else.

My Service Advisor said that it could take months for the parts to come in, but I could not be possibly happier about it. The car itself has been utterly amazing and I just hit 94,000 miles.

While having the oil change and tire rotation done, they were going to put me in an ES350, but I requested an IS200t. I gotta say, I was pretty darn impressed with the new (for the IS) turbocharged engine in the IS, I know this might be hearsay, but compared to the IS250, it really was a far more entertaining car to drive,

The first thing i did was disable the VSC and set the car in Sports Mode. While needless to say, not a rocket. However, it was noticeably more fun to drive than the 250. While the IS350 is no contest, but for Lexus's entry car, it is eminently drivable. That said, I could not wait to get my LS460 back. Gosh do I love that car and once the LS500 hits the street, I am seriously considering getting a 2017 LS460 as I have a sinking feeling that the deals on the 2017 LS460 are going to be astoundingly good.

texas008 04-26-17 04:31 AM

good news,
wonder what year is your LS460, 2007?
thanks

Junglequac 04-26-17 04:34 AM

Mine is a late build 2007. It was built in 3/2007. While not surprised about the door panels, the dashboard is a shocker as I have not noticed any damage or discoloration.

The driver's side armrest was pretty annoying as it feels like an Icee spilled all over it when the sun directly hits that part of the car. I shudder to think at what the cost would have been had I needed to pay for it.

Chuckinnj 04-26-17 06:18 AM

Great news! ........... Now they should start replacing the deteriorating sunroof surround rubber.

GHARP57 04-26-17 07:56 AM

Did this primarily hit vehicles with out the upgraded door panels? My car lived in Arizona most of its life and I have the upgraded interior but they put tint on the windows so I think they are in decent shape. The console on the other hand isn't holding up the greatest, it has gotten slick and wearing through and you can see a dark grey color under my cashmere trim.

Ill check my Dashboard just to be safe and see if its cracking at all.

I also have the old style B-Pillar trim that is definitely gummy and worn down on the driver side. Did Lexus ever replace those under an extended warranty?

Junglequac 04-26-17 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by GHARP57 (Post 9848399)
Did this primarily hit vehicles with out the upgraded door panels? My car lived in Arizona most of its life and I have the upgraded interior but they put tint on the windows so I think they are in decent shape. The console on the other hand isn't holding up the greatest, it has gotten slick and wearing through and you can see a dark grey color under my cashmere trim.

Ill check my Dashboard just to be safe and see if its cracking at all.

I also have the old style B-Pillar trim that is definitely gummy and worn down on the driver side. Did Lexus ever replace those under an extended warranty?

Interesting. Was not familiar with the B Pillar likewise being affected. My car has lived either in Charlotte, NC or Knoxville, TN its entire life so kinda the best of both worlds in the sense that snow is almost non existent and when it does happen, you would think there was 10 feet of snow!

On the flip side, while the humidity in the Southeast is patently absurd, the UV damage is not nearly as bad as the Southwest. I will only purchase cars that have lived their entire existence in either of those areas as rust is both evil and all but impossible to make right. Big reason why prices at actions in the Rust Belt sell for much less comparably,

GHARP57 04-26-17 11:07 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is all of my damage, Lexus changed the design of the B pillar trim so it doesn't point out like that and not get worn. You can see how shiny the door panel is and my dash pad appears fine. I called Lexus and they said my VIN didn't fit the campaign but I still need to take it to my Dealer so they can inspect it. And if I am unsatisfied with the results then I can call Lexus and get a case manager potentially.

Also since working in the business at my local Toyota dealer, I called my parts buddy at Lexus and asked him about it and he said that yes, they can take quite a bit of time to come in. So be in for the Long haul on the parts and waiting. Atleast it isn't like the Tacoma frames where Toyota was paying for 6-12month rentals.

aw001 04-26-17 11:12 AM

Hi gharp57,

I got a 2014 and i managed to get my SA to changed out my driver side b-pillar for a new one free. I told them while this might be "wear and tear" but it is pathetic for a car barely 3 years old and supposedly a flagship. I also sent them the paperwork about "lower b-pillar garnish wear" dated 2008. He got the regional manager involved and they approved the change out. The invoice i received states the hardware price to be ~ $350. See attached images for further info and hopefully you can recreate my experience.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...01ee9add32.jpg

aw001 04-26-17 11:15 AM

mm.. cant attached PDF file. If you need it, i can email it somehow.

alex

213374U 04-26-17 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by aw001 (Post 9848687)
Hi gharp57,

I got a 2014 and i managed to get my SA to changed out my driver side b-pillar for a new one free. I told them while this might be "wear and tear" but it is pathetic for a car barely 3 years old and supposedly a flagship. I also sent them the paperwork about "lower b-pillar garnish wear" dated 2008. He got the regional manager involved and they approved the change out. The invoice i received states the hardware price to be ~ $350. See attached images for further info and hopefully you can recreate my experience.
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clu...01ee9add32.jpg

Looks like that's the updated pillar. Did they replace that one for you as well? Mine has noticeable wear there but I figured since they upgraded them already I might be SOL on getting them to do anything about it.

GHARP57 04-26-17 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by aw001 (Post 9848692)
mm.. cant attached PDF file. If you need it, i can email it somehow.

alex

Should be okay on that, Im not too worried about it, I will go along the lines of the previous owners were too lazy to take it in and why should I suffer for their choices of not taking it to Lexus for service. If they honestly wont replace them then I will just live with it. I avoid that pillar trim anyway getting in and out of the vehicle. Just a a minor thing. My seatbelt drives me nuts though, Its so effing dirty! I havent tried cleaning it yet. I really dont understand how the entire belt gets that darn dirty.

sktn77a 04-26-17 12:20 PM

Junglequac:

You're lucky to have a decent dealer. Mine (Johnson Lexus, Durham) was worthless and did nothing after Lexus refused to honor the "warranty enhancement" (saying "Your VIN isn't covered by the program" - March 2007 manufacturing date). The dealer said the door panels felt like "Fly Paper" but just shrugged his shoulders when Lexus did nothing. I traded the 2007 in on a 2014 from a different dealer (Flow Lexus, Greensboro). So far do good!

DarKnight 04-26-17 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by GHARP57 (Post 9848399)

When I took mine in the service manager said that Lexus wouldn't replace that or the glove box. I honestly can't believe Lexus used such a low quality material.

R Z 04-26-17 02:00 PM

Too bad the 08 isn't covered.

aw001 04-26-17 02:29 PM

They replace the one in the picture with a new component. So no more "hole" and the superficial "gash"

Speaking about low quality material, you guys should see my car seat debacle. When i got it, the grey leather has small patches of brown. It is basically wear down to the base leather. Now the dealer can't do anything because it IS wear and tear and to replace that piece of leather, its ~1000, since they have to replace the whole bolster.

I didn't blame the dealer since its understandable and they replace my b pillar already.

I blame lexus for using inferior material, but maybe i'm not being realistic.