Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

Flying to Cali to buy 2008 LS600hL w/85K mi. Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-17, 01:12 PM
luckyal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying to Cali to buy 2008 LS600hL w/85K mi. Advice?

I think I found a perfect 2008 Lexus LS600hL. I paid for the 160 pt inspection at a third party mechanic that had great reviews (at least on Yelp). All that came up was (breaks at 20-30%, needs new tires and cabin air filter. It looks like they only did major repairs at a Lexus dealership. Rack and pinion got replaced and all the other recalls were complete as well. I will fly to Cali and drive the car back to WA State. Any recommendations? Should I insist on taking the car in for another inspection but at a Lexus dealership? For some reason, i'm not too concerned about the hybrid battery, as much as I am about the air ride and control arms. Any thoughts?
Old 04-13-17, 06:25 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!

Did you check the service history to see if the control arms were replaced? The control arms may not be a problem on a 2008, but even if they are, they're not expensive to place as long as you don't take it to a dealer. You can do a search regarding the air suspension, there are many threads on this topic.

It wouldn't hurt to take it to a dealer. Yelp isn't the most reliable place to get reviews.
Old 04-13-17, 07:33 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Could always take in to a dealer for a second opinion.

From a dealer or private seller? Definitely use the brakes and tires to work out a good deal!
Old 04-14-17, 09:17 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Congrats on the LS600hL! I've totally loved my 2008 LS600 since I bought it 3 years ago, and am now totally spoiled on all other "inferior" cars (pretty much every car available)...

You might deal with wind noise (fairly easily remedied), bad air shocks (very expensive, but possibly already done at least once), bad front control arms (already addressed). There are a couple of recalls to make sure have been done (Fuel Rails, possibly the Brake Actuator).

Do some tight U-turns in a parking lot and listen for groaning from the rear differential. Mine had that problem when I first got it, and it's fairly easily fixed by replacing the differential fluids with expensive stuff 3 times in a short period.

Have you driven an LS600hL before? If not, prepare to be amazed by the quiet cabin and smooth, seamless power delivery!

Let us know if you have any questions regarding this model, and many from this amazing forum will chime in to help. Good luck!
Old 04-15-17, 02:21 PM
KYLS
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Congrats! I made a similar purchase and drive (GA -> KY) a couple weeks back in a new to me 2008 LS600hl. Even with the slow spring break traffic, I had a smile on my face for the whole drive back. It is a great car, I hope you enjoy yours as much. Post some pictures, and share the experience once you get it home.
Old 04-15-17, 04:57 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy the drive home in your LS600hL.
Old 04-16-17, 03:56 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi and congrats.

I can't offer any other suggestions than those provided, however, when you can please post pics of your car both interior and exterior.

We love them all.

Many happy miles!

Cubby
Old 04-16-17, 07:48 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I think you've done some good due diligence so go ahead and enjoy - the hybrid is the most expensive "unforeseen" cost you may have in that vehicle, the inspection you paid for highlights a lot of key things you should know (and need to pay for eventually) so with its good service history, I'd say go for it
Old 04-17-17, 08:11 AM
luckyal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all for the replies. I'm definitely getting a great deal. $18K and the car has 83K miles on it. I haven't booked my flight yet, as we're working on a few last minute details. I'm also considering paying $1300 for a 36 month Gold Warranty through my credit union, which includes the Hybrid battery and all the other components including all electronics in the vehicle. Worth it or no?
Old 04-17-17, 09:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'm also considering paying $1300 for a 36 month Gold Warranty through my credit union, which includes the Hybrid battery and all the other components including all electronics in the vehicle. Worth it or no?
Only you can decide whether it's worth it or not. Are you a DIY'er? Normally an extended warranty is not economically sensible and consumer groups etc will tell you to avoid them. Statistics show that something like 85% of warranties fail to pay off - more so on a reliable car, which the LS is. Keep in mind that any parts can be had aftermarket for a reasonable cost and an independant shop can do the work for half of what a dealer does. If you're a DIY'er, then that cost goes down even further. A good example is the control arms, which a dealer will charge upwards of 5k dollars to do. I just had mine done by a local shop for about 1500 which included all new arms and labor. The unicorn in your case, is the hybrid system. But I'd still forego the warranty. Personally, I'd set aside the money you would have spent on the warranty and put into a high interest bond or whatever, and draw from it if required for any work or issues you might have. I'm willing to bet you'd still have that money on the account after 3 years.
Old 04-17-17, 11:27 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

$1300 is a small price to pay for a 36 months warranty and its worth it. Definitely get the gold warranty and a piece of mind even though you paid for a 160 points inspection its still a nine years LS. One air shock, folding mirrors, hybrid battery or self-closing trunk problems will cost a lot more than $1300 plus the 600hL is loaded with electronics. Again please do yourself and your wallet a big favor by getting the warranty.
Old 04-17-17, 12:05 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Normally I'd say no, but on a 600 $1300 seems like a good deal, as long as it covers the battery. I was recently looking at a 2013 Mercedes C63 AMG and the warranty company wouldn't even offer extended coverage, at any cost!
Old 04-17-17, 12:34 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by luckyal
Thanks all for the replies. I'm definitely getting a great deal. $18K and the car has 83K miles on it. I haven't booked my flight yet, as we're working on a few last minute details. I'm also considering paying $1300 for a 36 month Gold Warranty through my credit union, which includes the Hybrid battery and all the other components including all electronics in the vehicle. Worth it or no?
The battery is what I would be most worried about, it is I believe at least $8000 or more for the replacement if it goes and they have been known to go. As long as that extended warranty fully covers the hybrid battery and other components/electronics it is probably worth it.
Old 04-17-17, 01:59 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

That's a bargain for a 36 month warranty on a 2008 LS600hL. I would definitely take it, for the peace of mind. There's a decent chance you won't need it, but if you do, the cost could easily be >$1300 for most repairs. My 2008hL just rolled over 80K miles, so I guess I should be depressed that it's only worth $18K now... I paid $43K 3 years ago. Oh well, it's value to me hasn't changed at all, and I've really enjoyed it these past 3 years (and intend to enjoy it for at least 3 more, since I have the extended CPO warranty).
Old 04-17-17, 02:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

If the warranty covers the hybrid battery I'd definitely get it (I'd read the fine print on that one). You're getting a nice car but remember you're also getting one that if it breaks will cost you a fortune to fix. The LS600 is a different animal than the 460...think expensive to fix, then multiple by 2.

Quick Reply: Flying to Cali to buy 2008 LS600hL w/85K mi. Advice?