LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Steering locked up HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-17, 06:14 PM
slinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering locked up HELP!

Anybody have a clue why my power steering is completely out? Cant turn at all?
only code was DTC B1206 P/W master switch communication stop....
Has the dash light with steering wheel and ! on
Would like to take to dealer ( I think) but would need a tow!

Thanks
Old 04-03-17, 08:09 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The P/S is electric. Did you check the fuse?
Old 04-04-17, 10:48 AM
slinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, that was one of the first things I checked. Curious if this code would have anything to do with it or not?
Old 04-04-17, 04:46 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I googled DTC B1206 and nothing that came up directly related to the P/S - all related to the ECU.
Old 05-02-17, 07:54 AM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slinky
Anybody have a clue why my power steering is completely out? Cant turn at all?
only code was DTC B1206 P/W master switch communication stop....
Has the dash light with steering wheel and ! on
Would like to take to dealer ( I think) but would need a tow!

Thanks
Did you ever figure this out? I'm dealing with the same exact thing right now. HELP!!
Old 05-02-17, 08:09 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Reset codes and go from there.
The following users liked this post:
bezee (05-02-17)
Old 05-02-17, 11:23 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by 213374U
Reset codes and go from there.
Excuse my ignorance but when you say reset codes what do you mean? I didnt have the codes pulled on the car yet.

Right now, when i hit the start button i hear a single thump noise and receive the "Check power steering system" message and the steering is completely stiff. Last night i think i located the fuse labeled "EPS" which was in tact.
Old 05-02-17, 12:21 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

It's hard for me to understand what this is about. Are you saying that the car starts and the engine runs, but the steering is locked?
Old 05-02-17, 12:24 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bezee
Excuse my ignorance but when you say reset codes what do you mean? I didnt have the codes pulled on the car yet.
If you're power steering is locked up, there is certainly an error code being stored in your ECU. Have someone check that, clear them, and see where you are. If the code comes back and the steering is locked immediately after clearing the code something is definitely wrong.

BTW... did you do any work to your vehicle prior to this happening?
Old 05-03-17, 05:53 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by 213374U
If you're power steering is locked up, there is certainly an error code being stored in your ECU. Have someone check that, clear them, and see where you are. If the code comes back and the steering is locked immediately after clearing the code something is definitely wrong.

BTW... did you do any work to your vehicle prior to this happening?
No work was done before this occurred. It was out of the blue. I was sitting idling waiting on my kid to come outside and the exclamation light popped up and the power steering system light and message came on. From that point i lost power steering and it became hard as hell to turn the wheel when driving.
moodyblues (06-17-22)
Old 05-03-17, 07:10 AM
jmcraney

No work was done before this occurred. It was out of the blue. I was sitting idling waiting on my kid to come outside and the exclamation light popped up and the power steering system light and message came on. From that point i lost power steering and it became hard as hell to turn the wheel when driving.
I believe that this is an indication that the car's battery has a low SOC. The low SOC may be the result of a defective charging system or a defective battery.
bezee (05-03-17)
Old 05-03-17, 07:25 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I believe that this is an indication that the car's battery has a low SOC. The low SOC may be the result of a defective charging system or a defective battery.
I guess checking the level of the battery alone wont tell me this? The battery is only about a year old.
Old 05-03-17, 07:40 AM
jmcraney

I guess checking the level of the battery alone wont tell me this? The battery is only about a year old.
I expect that if you measure the battery's SOC you will find that it is low. You should take your battery to a battery dealer and have it checked. The battery dealer will be able to tell you if the SOC is low and if it is low, whether that is related to a defect in the battery. Batteries do fail prematurely, for a variety of reasons. There are two common ways to determine the battery's SOC. The gold standard method is with a battery hydrometer that you can buy at an auto parts store for just a few dollars. The other method is to measure the open circuit voltage of the battery with a voltmeter and determine the SOC from a temperature compensated lookup table. If you are not familiar with these techniques, the best thing to do is take your battery to a battery dealer. If you look at your battery, you will be able to determine who the manufacturer is. Then if you take it to a dealer for that manufacturer and it is bad you will be able to get a replacement under the conditions of the warranty.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-03-17 at 07:43 AM.
bezee (05-03-17)
Old 05-03-17, 09:02 AM
bezee
Driver

I expect that if you measure the battery's SOC you will find that it is low. You should take your battery to a battery dealer and have it checked. The battery dealer will be able to tell you if the SOC is low and if it is low, whether that is related to a defect in the battery. Batteries do fail prematurely, for a variety of reasons. There are two common ways to determine the battery's SOC. The gold standard method is with a battery hydrometer that you can buy at an auto parts store for just a few dollars. The other method is to measure the open circuit voltage of the battery with a voltmeter and determine the SOC from a temperature compensated lookup table. If you are not familiar with these techniques, the best thing to do is take your battery to a battery dealer. If you look at your battery, you will be able to determine who the manufacturer is. Then if you take it to a dealer for that manufacturer and it is bad you will be able to get a replacement under the conditions of the warranty.
Thanks. I'll go that route before consulting with the stealer.
Old 05-05-17, 07:39 AM
bezee
Driver

Well I got a warranty replacement of the battery just in case, and still have the thump noise followed by the power steering indicator and message I guess now i'll have to see what the dealer says.

Quick Reply: Power Steering locked up HELP!