LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying Used vs. New LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-17, 06:02 AM
arbrnrngr
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying Used vs. New LS460

Wonder what others think about this. I have bought a few new LS's over the years and am fortunate to be able to buy new if I want. However, the last 2 Lexus' we purchased were both used and in immaculate condition. In fact, last week I bought a 2008 with 112,000 miles that is cherry - it was sold and taken as a trade-in and fully serviced by the same dealer (Ira in Danvers MA). Normally I'd think 112,000 miles! That's old!! However one of my prior Lexus' was flawless and nearly repair-free for 260,000 miles - only succumbing to a teenage son's collision. Loved that car. The second has gone 80,000 miles (GS350) and also looks great and runs as good as new. My other LS did 90k until we traded it (we drive a lot).

Now, with certain brands, I'd never do that - our Audi Q7 did 110,000 miles but had a lot of troubles and looked worn-out on the inside when traded in; my 2004 Chevy Avalanche was rusting pretty badly on the frame and the engine was tired. So, I'd never buy either of those brands expecting to get high mileage (all were equally well cared for and garaged, etc.). However, the Lexus brand seems to be different and my experience is that if you can find a well maintained, low mileage, several year old Lexus, with exactly the options you want, there's no downside really. Plus you get the Certified Pre-owned coverage or, in my case, the dealer sold me a 3 year extended Platinum level warranty for $1,500 (plus I paid well under Kelly Blue Book even with the warranty).

I'll also admit to being a cheap Irishman! What's everyone else think? Nothing wrong with new either (and you DO get the latest bells and whistles) but when buying Lexus, I think I'll look for low-mileage used options.

Am I missing anything (not there's a right or wrong answer)?

Last edited by arbrnrngr; 04-02-17 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-02-17, 07:10 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Financially, IMO there's no question that buying a used car is best. Almost all cars are rapidly depreciating assets (there are exceptions, such as certain Porsche and Ferrari models and years), and taking advantage of the depreciation curve is the name of the game. In the case of the Lexus LS, why pay full price for a car that perhaps 5 years later you'd pay 50% of MSRP? If you want the protection of the original manufacturer's warranty, pay more for a car whose 4yr/50K miles warranty hasn't expired, and consider conitinuing that with a Lexus platinum ESA.

Life, however, consists of more than making optimal financial decisions. The argument for buying new is that you get a car in pristine, perfect condition with presumably no scratches, paint chips, wear, etc. you also get all the latest bells and whistles. With the 2018 LS, you'd get a major redesign of the LS. with presumably more power and features than in the previous generation. Of course, this assumes you like the LS's newest "design language" and are OK with a forced induction V6. (AFAI, Lexus so far hasn't offered a NA V8, though that could change, especially if/when an "F" version is released. With a new car, you get not only the full original warranty, but a true bumper-to-bumper 12-month(?) warranty for just about everything else not covered by the standard manufacturer's warranty.

If you don't like the redesign, consider getting a new late-year 2017 LS, which might be at a discount. If you like the re-design, usually, the advice is to wait for the second model year, when all the bugs have been ironed out, but the reliability of the Lexus brand as a whole and the LS in particular, has been stellar, especially when compared to other luxury cars.

At the end of thie day, it comes down to a personal choice, which you already knew. For me, i'm not rich enough to buy a whatever new car catches my fancy, whenever I'd like to. The money I save buying used I'll put into savings or investments and/or other items and passions that are more important to me than a new car. My nature, though, is to buy a car and keep it as long as possible as long as the car remains a good value proposition to me.

For me, the LS doesn't need the latest and greatest tech features and its aesthetics and quality are great. I consider the car understated at first glance, but a longer look evokes to me a "wow" kind of reaction. That's a very nice feeling and hat I imagine to be a basic Japanese design aesthetic. I'll spare you all my praise of Grand Seiko and Citizen Chronomaster watches that follow that kind of aesthetic, craftsmanship, and quality.

Last edited by Gbp; 04-02-17 at 07:30 AM.
Old 04-02-17, 09:50 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I think buying used is probably a wise decision/value play.

But I think whenever you buy something with 112,000 miles on it there's risk involved, it just depends on how much risk you're willing to take. If you're buying something like that and expecting to drive the thing 500 miles a week? Probably not a great choice because the miles are going to really pile up quick and in four years you'll have a car with 200,000 plus on it. But if you're only planning on driving 10,000 a year? The thing should last you a long time and be a solid value.

I'm very surprised your Avalanche felt tired...those GM LS engines are pretty legendary for their reliability.
Old 04-02-17, 10:27 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I buy used too. I am looking for a LS460. I had very good luck buying my GS430 used, no real issues, doing my own maintenance has made it pretty much as inexpensive to own as a Accord aside from the premium gas/gas mileage. The very large rapid depreciation of new cars in just a few months and a couple thousand miles has convinced me not to buy new unless maybe I plan to keep it for hundreds of thousands of miles. I would never buy a German luxury sedan used aside from one a really really wanted maybe a year or so old and still under warranty at a great deal. Lexus, Acura, and Infinti are the only luxury vehicles I would feel comfortable buying used with some miles on them, maybe Genesis and KIA upmarket models if they seem to be holding up after some time.
Old 04-02-17, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

It's all relative. I'm a new buyer, I lease for business and to me I would never consider a used one because it just doesn't work for me. I want them new and perfect, and am willing to pay the premium for that.

Used is certainly cheaper, but is it "best"? Might be for you, wouldn't be for me.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (04-02-17)
Old 04-02-17, 12:20 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I see nothing wrong with buying new. If you have the money and want something no one else has driven, that is the way to go. For me, used has been the answer other than one particular time. All the rest have been used and the last 4 have been Lexus. While I'd love to have all the latest bells and whistles, I've yet to find myself driving my car and yearning for stuff I don't have. When I get in my used 08, all I think about is smiling. Even dirty, it's just a pure pleasure. So, when the time is right, and I'm ready to upgrade, it will be another used Lexus. there's a mighty good chance I won't be buying the 2018 body style even when it's 2022. I don't like it. So, whether it's a 2024 - 2017, we shall see. But for now, I'm diggin' the ride!
Old 04-02-17, 12:28 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Nothing wrong with buying new, but I prefer to let someone else take the initial depreciation hit. The last three cars we bought were each one year old, and, apart from the previous owner's phone numbers that were stored, just like new.

I'm pretty set on an LS 460 as my next car, but not yet... When I do buy, it'll probably be a 2017 with under 30k miles.They are great cars. One of my neighbors has a 430 that he bought used way back when, and it still looks like a new car.
Old 04-02-17, 12:55 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I will very likely never purchase another brand-new car. I've done it one time, got hammered on depreciation, and had nothing but grief with getting warranty work done properly within three dealer visits.

I may suspend this statement for a Grand Cherokee Hellkitty.

I look at it this way. I drive a new-looking car which was $85K 9 years ago. It feels new, in fact. The days of cars being done at 100K-120K has been over since the mid-80s. 100K miles is nothing on a modern automobile which is built well.

I figure my LS is an easy half-million mile car. This is why I had no problem with paying about 22% of new retail for it.

The key with used car purchasing is you must know what to look for, what happens to which systems (and every car has a few problems which are specific to that chassis/platform, eventually), how to fix those problems, and find something which has hopefully been owned by people who cared about it and didn't have kids. Kid-free cars are almost always in better condition. The same can be said for pets.
Old 04-02-17, 02:45 PM
Haunted
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One new car was enough for me, I stay at least 3years behind. Can't stand giving up the money in taxes.
Old 04-03-17, 10:33 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

My wife and I go round after round on this.

I go for used, because my 2010 LS with 98k miles drives like new (I cross-shopped a 2011 with 37k mile CPO at Sewell and they drove very identical) so if it is a LS you're seeking, you can't tell a big difference (performance/mechanically) as long as it has a good service history.
Now, if we're talking about a Chevy Malibu or even a CTS, those cars don't age well so you can tell they have more long-term quality issues which may prompt you towards new.

My wife prefers it new...she bought her 14 Pilot new (only because the resale values are so strong, price difference was negligible between new & used), is considering a LX570 which she will buy new...she hates automatic car washes and wants new so she can ensure it has never gone through one of those.

I'll leave it with one last comment; do NOT be afraid of a high-mileage Lexus. Before I bought mine, I test drove a 07 LS460 with 177k miles at a Chevy dealership...the dealership was absolutely horrible, slimy sales people etc. and the car wasn't properly cleaned, but the car handled very well. The LS is an over-engineered and over-built car. Depending on your budget, you can get a "looks like new" 13-14 LS460 right below/around $40k for a $80k new vehicle or a 11-12 LS in the $20-$25k mark. Test drive a couple, if you are seeking new there was a post somewhere where an Autonation lot was selling a new 16 LS F-sport for $18k off sticker ($68k I think).
Old 04-03-17, 12:00 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I always buy PRE OWNED cars (notice I did not say "used") that has been well cared for and well maintained with low mileage. I have gone the new car route when a new "gotta have it" model comes out (EG: 1975 280Z, 1984 300ZX Turbo, etc.) but that was when I was younger and had tons of money coming in with no kids BUT now I have realized that these high end luxury cars are coming off lease and they are in great condition with low miles so why not let someone else "take the hit" on a new car. My suggestion is to buy a pre owned car in excellent shape and bank the extra money to retire early. You work hard so spend or bank your hard earned money however you want....... New or pre owned.
BTW! We purchased a 2012 CPO LS and could not be happier....... Everyone says it looks new and even the mechanics at the Lexus dealer raved about the condition it is in with the exception of the cracking sunroof gasket. I keep my cars in excellent condition and keep them for a long time. My 2008 Dodge Charger SRT still gets compliments and I purchased it pre owned with 3500 miles and saved thousands of $$$$.
Old 04-03-17, 01:29 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If you can afford it, buy new. Especially if you tend to keep cars a long time (thinking 10 years or more). That way, the depreciation is amortized over many years and doesn't hurt quite as much. Of course, if you keep your cars that long, only a few will qualify to be trouble-free (or, at least, not trouble-prone).