LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

07 LS 460 trip 1100 miles Oil near empty

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 05:25 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Thumbs down 07 LS 460 trip 1100 miles Oil near empty

Can someone help me out . what the are reasons this could happen no signs of leak on the floor . i will take it to make a mechanic tomorrow but can someone shine on a potential reasons. also i know due the "low oil level " warning. only 1100 miles on the oil . 165000 miles odo

Last edited by ALK; 03-29-17 at 05:37 PM.
Old 03-29-17, 05:32 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you check it before you left? Did you have someone else change your oil?
Old 03-29-17, 05:33 PM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by greg3852
Did you check it before you left? Did you have someone else change your oil?
last time i checked the dip stick was a little over a week ago and it was level no increase or decrease
Old 03-29-17, 05:43 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am not sure where the oil filter is located but could you have possibly ran over something or a rock kicked up and put a hole in your oil filter, could your oil filter have worked its way loose on the trip or was not put on right? I doubt there could be any engine issue where a 1100 trip would burn up most of your oil, you likely would have heard or noticed something if it is doing that. Does the remaining oil appear or smell burnt? I would fill it back up with the same oil and see if it leaks again and check your oil filter for a hole or if it is on correctly. Don't drive the car with so little oil in it.

There is a product called Ceratec by lubromoly that could possibly protect engine components more if you ran it really low on oil, you may want to look into that as a just in case if you can't get it figured out right away.
Old 03-29-17, 05:45 PM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by UDel
I am not sure where the oil filter is located but could you have possibly ran over something or a rock kicked up and put a hole in your oil filter, could your oil filter have worked its way loose on the trip or was not put on right? I doubt there could be any engine issue where a 1100 trip would burn up most of your oil, you likely would have heard or noticed something if it is doing that. Does the remaining oil appear or smell burnt? I would fill it back up with the same oil and see if it leaks again and check your oil filter for a hole or if it is on correctly. Don't drive the car with so little oil in it.

There is a product called Ceratec by lubromoly that could possibly protect engine components more if you ran it really low on oil, you may want to look into that as a just in case if you can't get it figured out right away.
the oil is at the tip of the dipstick and it is still fresh no change
Old 03-29-17, 06:19 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
the oil is at the tip of the dipstick and it is still fresh no change
If there is oil still at the tip of your dipstick then I don't think it is "near empty", there is still a lot of oil in your engine, it is just low. I would fill it back up to the proper level and see what happens, look for leaks, get under car and look for them after driving, keep an eye on it. It could possibly be the engine burning oil if it is more low but not almost empty. Are you sure the proper oil weight was put in your Lexus before your trip and there is no sign of leaks anywhere around the transmission or valves gaskets, did you smell any burning when driving? If you can't get a answer from the mechanic you may want to do another oil change to make sure the proper weight is put in but other then that I don't know. The LS460 has direct and port injection I believe, could the port injection be clogged causing carbon fouling and burning oil?
Old 03-29-17, 06:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

How low does the oil have to be to trigger the warning? The engine holds almost 10 quarts of oil, you haven the lost all your oil.
Old 03-29-17, 11:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Agreed....you probably were short a quart or so. No worry.
Old 03-30-17, 02:03 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by ALK
Can someone help me out . what the are reasons this could happen no signs of leak on the floor . i will take it to make a mechanic tomorrow but can someone shine on a potential reasons. also i know due the "low oil level " warning. only 1100 miles on the oil . 165000 miles odo
Like others have said, you probably are a quart low, so it most likely isn't near empty.

Another thing...just because there isn't any sings of oil leaking on the floor doesn't mean that there isn't an oil leak. There is a rather large cover on the bottom of this engine, it easily can catch small oil leaks and contain some of it there. Especially seeing as how that cover also collects a lot of dust/dirt endear there...the stuff acts as an absorbent. So there is a chance that if your oil filter housing, or valve covers are leaking slightly you won't see it on the floor. Plus you said you just returned from a 1100 mile trip...chances are a lot of that stuff could have blown right off the bottom.
Old 03-30-17, 05:05 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I think the low oil level warning should activate when the sump is down 2-3 quarts/litres.
Old 03-30-17, 05:57 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Like others have said, you probably are a quart low, so it most likely isn't near empty.

Another thing...just because there isn't any sings of oil leaking on the floor doesn't mean that there isn't an oil leak. There is a rather large cover on the bottom of this engine, it easily can catch small oil leaks and contain some of it there. Especially seeing as how that cover also collects a lot of dust/dirt endear there...the stuff acts as an absorbent. So there is a chance that if your oil filter housing, or valve covers are leaking slightly you won't see it on the floor. Plus you said you just returned from a 1100 mile trip...chances are a lot of that stuff could have blown right off the bottom.
​​​​​​so those are the reasons for the decrease in oil. Thats all I check for ?
Old 03-30-17, 06:24 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

From experience I can say it is 2 quarts and the light comes on. I thought it was a big emergency once and pulled over and filled it up only to find it barely took 2 quarts.
Old 03-30-17, 07:09 AM
ALK
Advanced

Originally Posted by greg3852
From experience I can say it is 2 quarts and the light comes on. I thought it was a big emergency once and pulled over and filled it up only to find it barely took 2 quarts.
the thing is I have an '10 LS 460 I never had this issue . 155009 miles on the odometer.
Old 03-30-17, 08:10 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

These engines do consume some oil. keep tabs on how much. Many including myself willl often add 2 qts over a normal oil change interval...in my case about 5-6k miles.
Old 03-30-17, 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,500 Likes on 1,803 Posts

And it could be that particular oil change it wasn't quite full, etc...

Quick Reply: 07 LS 460 trip 1100 miles Oil near empty