LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Hold

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-17, 10:23 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Brake Hold

Who else is addicted to the brake hold feature? The first 6 months I didn't use it but after I started I can't live without it. We just bought a new loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is an awesome fun comfortable car to drive. But it doesn't have brake hold and I can't shake the withdrawal symptoms I feel when I drive it. Just to satisfy my curiosity who else is addicted and what other cars even offer this feature?
Old 03-20-17, 11:15 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I use it daily. My wife's 2017 MDX has it too. Hers releases much smoother than the one on my LS460 though.
Old 03-21-17, 06:27 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I remember seeing the feature during my research before buying the car and couldn't wait to try it. I use it probably on every drive I take in the car.

Side note: I think it would sound cooler if your signature read, "1991 LS400 SOLD after 15 years and 198k (s)miles." Just a suggestion.
Old 03-21-17, 07:23 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm not in stop and go traffic very often so I hardly ever use it.

When I do use it, I try not to get too close to the car in front of me. I'm always thinking what if this thing lets go by itself. Even at idle speed it could bump the car in front of me before I could hit the brake. Of course it has never happened to me and I never heard of it happening.

But to answer your question, this is one feature I'm not addicted to. Now ask me about radar cruise control .......
Old 03-21-17, 07:32 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'm not in stop and go traffic very often so I hardly ever use it.

When I do use it, I try not to get too close to the car in front of me. I'm always thinking what if this thing lets go by itself. Even at idle speed it could bump the car in front of me before I could hit the brake. Of course it has never happened to me and I never heard of it happening.

But to answer your question, this is one feature I'm not addicted to. Now ask me about radar cruise control .......
Rub it in why don't cha...for those of us that don't have it!!
Old 03-21-17, 07:43 AM
altoreid
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up Brake and Hold User

This feature is a leg saver in stop and go traffic !
Old 03-21-17, 08:47 AM
Robb92914
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it every time I drive her. Then I get in my GS300 daily drive and forget and take my foot off the brake lol
Old 03-21-17, 11:46 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Great feature, use it all the time when im waiting in a line (fast foot mainly, or getting out a crowded lot). I also use it when i have to stay a while at a light. I don't find myself using it much in traffic as it's just quicker to release the brake and have the car roll forwards (dont want to lose that precious spot lol).

My 2008 X5 had this feature as well, worked great in that car too. Think my mom's BMW might have it as well? Surprised a brand new car doesn't have it.
Old 03-21-17, 10:02 PM
capt
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love it in the city, when I remember, still new to me lol I commute mostly highway but it's great!
Old 03-22-17, 06:06 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

I have never used it. When I do get to drive the LS these days it is always in a long trip mode. The DW turned in on by accident a couple of weeks ago and was not sure what it was and then figured out how to use it. She said it worked nice.

Dennis
Old 03-22-17, 09:48 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Who else is addicted to the brake hold feature? The first 6 months I didn't use it but after I started I can't live without it. We just bought a new loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee and it is an awesome fun comfortable car to drive. But it doesn't have brake hold and I can't shake the withdrawal symptoms I feel when I drive it. Just to satisfy my curiosity who else is addicted and what other cars even offer this feature?
Totally addicted, pretty much since the early days with my 460. In addition to LS, GS (4th Gen), RX (4th Gen) and NX offer it.

As for the LX, well... the absence of this feature is one of my little pet peeves even though I do love the new truck. I need to look further into it, but the other day, something did engage on a steep hill, achieving the same effect as Brake Hold, except there is no such feature. Not sure if it's part of Hill Assist. But I digress...
Old 03-22-17, 10:14 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

I use it to reduce reaction time when I "zeke" using the lane that goes away after a light. Hit hold, cover gas with foot, punch it the instant the light goes green. Fun!
Old 03-22-17, 10:17 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm surprised some of the responses are that it's used in stop and go traffic. I actually prefer using it in normal driving, mostly when I pull up to a light. I think it's more work to use in stop and go traffic because you have to keep pressing both pedals.
Old 03-22-17, 02:05 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

when im driving on flat land which 95% of the time at a long red light, i just slap into neutral, and let off the brake, no rolling at all. Easier on the motor and save fuel too.
Old 03-22-17, 02:29 PM
mosysav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
when im driving on flat land which 95% of the time at a long red light, i just slap into neutral, and let off the brake, no rolling at all. Easier on the motor and save fuel too.
Putting the transmission in Neutral does not save fuel since the engine is revving higher than in Drive.

Quick Reply: Brake Hold