What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads) - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Go Back  ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion > Lexus Model Forums > LS Models > LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017)
What should I look for with a used LS460?  Common Problems?  (merged threads) >

What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

Notices
LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

Old 03-11-13, 08:06 AM
  #1  
silver305
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: fl
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

I wanted to know what problems have you guys had with yoru car. What are common problems with this vehicle? how much are the repair costs for such issues without a warranty?
I would like to hear from everyone who currently has or had owenership of a LS 460.
THANK YOU!
silver305 is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 08:57 AM
  #2  
dckaraja
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: va
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I would think twice before buying one without any kind of warranty.In my part of town.Just the normal service is 250$.Every 5k miles.I would def go for CPO .Or buy some sought of third party insurance with decent deductible.
dckaraja is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 09:08 AM
  #3  
silver305
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: fl
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dckaraja View Post
I would think twice before buying one without any kind of warranty.In my part of town.Just the normal service is 250$.Every 5k miles.I would def go for CPO .Or buy some sought of third party insurance with decent deductible.
I AM lucky enough to have a good connection at a lexus dealership..i can get an oil change for 30 dollars. I used to get my brakes done on my is250 for about $200 dollars plus the parts which i also got them at dealer cost... however, my connection won't do major crazy work on it such as transmission overhauls or anything like that. I am not worried about any type of maintenance on my car since my guy pretty much takes care of it all for little money.
Remember, i am in Miami which is notorious for being a "hustlers" town. Over here is who you know and you can pretty much get almost anything for next to nothing AS LONG as both parties benefit from it of course.. I am a financial analyst so i did my mechanic favors regarding bussiness decisions or investments and well he takes good care of me in return..
Like i said, right now i am just trying to find out what goes wrong with these cars before i fork out $4000 dollars for an extended warranty.
silver305 is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 09:57 AM
  #4  
Luxofreak
Lead Lap
 
Luxofreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: WA
Posts: 774
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I bought my '07 brand new and had ZERO problems. The wind noise was fixed for free by Lexus through the installation of double pane glass in the front doors. I did not spend a dime. Just regular maintenance, also always done by the dealer where I purchased the car. Same with the few recalls.
Luxofreak is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 12:09 PM
  #5  
williakz
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MO
Posts: 813
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
i can get an oil change for 30 dollars.
No, you cannot. I take that back. If Mom is doing your oil change, she might, MIGHT, charge you $30 even though she will be spending more than $50 just on supplies. But that's how moms are. Dealerships, however, are not like that. And, if you have a friend who is doing this for you, he is surely thieving from the dealership and your dealing with him will cost him his job.

TANSTAAFL - learn it early and learn it well.
williakz is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 12:16 PM
  #6  
williakz
Lexus Test Driver
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: MO
Posts: 813
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
What are common problems with this vehicle?
ML amp (almost always), ML head unit (sometimes).

Driver's seat padding (TSB).
Glove compartment loose/rattling (TSB)
Seat belt scratching door pillar (TSB)

Wind noise (whatever)

Brakes (warped rotors - three sets in 66k miles)
Brake actuator ($3k dealer repair)
Valve seals/lifters (free recall)

Nav updates ($300/update - maintenance item)

Good luck with your LS.
williakz is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 04:16 PM
  #7  
Nospinzone
Moderator
 
Nospinzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,514
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
I AM lucky enough to have a good connection at a lexus dealership..i can get an oil change for 30 dollars. I used to get my brakes done on my is250 for about $200 dollars plus the parts which i also got them at dealer cost... however, my connection won't do major crazy work on it such as transmission overhauls or anything like that. I am not worried about any type of maintenance on my car since my guy pretty much takes care of it all for little money.
Remember, i am in Miami which is notorious for being a "hustlers" town. Over here is who you know and you can pretty much get almost anything for next to nothing AS LONG as both parties benefit from it of course.. I am a financial analyst so i did my mechanic favors regarding bussiness decisions or investments and well he takes good care of me in return..
Like i said, right now i am just trying to find out what goes wrong with these cars before i fork out $4000 dollars for an extended warranty.
I'm not clear on this. Is this tech doing it at the dealership or are you taking the car over to his house on the weekend? If he's doing it at the dealership, he has to be cheating (or in your words hustling) the dealership. If he's doing it at his place, even he can't buy 9 quarts of oil and a filter for $30. Of course if you are providing him with services, I guess he can eat the loss.
Nospinzone is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 07:04 PM
  #8  
silver305
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: fl
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Nospinzone View Post
I'm not clear on this. Is this tech doing it at the dealership or are you taking the car over to his house on the weekend? If he's doing it at the dealership, he has to be cheating (or in your words hustling) the dealership. If he's doing it at his place, even he can't buy 9 quarts of oil and a filter for $30. Of course if you are providing him with services, I guess he can eat the loss.
well, i won't go into details, but yes i do and i got oil changes on my is250 for 30 dollars for 2.5 years. I dont ask how he does it, or where he gets the stuff from. He is a certified mechanic and a damn good one at it. Each time i came with an issue with my car, he knew exactly how to fix it. Like i said, i am not worried about the maintenance on this car. I know it will be cheap for me. I just ordered the front brake pads and they ran me $60 dollars, directly from the dealer...
silver305 is offline  
Old 03-11-13, 07:27 PM
  #9  
Nospinzone
Moderator
 
Nospinzone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 3,514
Thanked 68 Times in 63 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
I just ordered the front brake pads and they ran me $60 dollars, directly from the dealer...
You could have gotten much better pads (ceramic) for the same price the dealer charged you-

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...eat-price.html
Nospinzone is offline  
Old 03-14-13, 08:04 AM
  #10  
wchain
Driver
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 144
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default

If he's not giving you paperwork with the dealers name on the invoice saying that he did it, its considered "side work. " Which is up to the service manager on how hard they enforce the techs from doing.
wchain is offline  
Old 03-15-13, 06:32 AM
  #11  
silver305
Pole Position
Thread Starter
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: fl
Posts: 204
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

well, i got 8 spark plugs, 2 air filters and a cabin ac air filter yesterday for $130.... It can be side work, or not side work, but i am not going to complain about it. Just like i am not going to complain when he installs my spark plugs, Hid kit (i bought the kit) on the fog lights, swap out my ls600 headlighs for the stock ones (i get to keep my ls600 lights too), replace the black interior panel below where the driver's seatbel is attached (seatbelts usually scuff that part really bad), flush my coolant.... all for $300............. oh and i did not buy the stock headlights or the interior planels that i need replaced either..He is providing those for me too..
silver305 is offline  
Old 03-15-13, 04:57 PM
  #12  
Slvr surfr
Lexus Test Driver
iTrader: (1)
 
Slvr surfr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: dc
Posts: 1,284
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
well, i got 8 spark plugs, 2 air filters and a cabin ac air filter yesterday for $130.... It can be side work, or not side work, but i am not going to complain about it. Just like i am not going to complain when he installs my spark plugs, Hid kit (i bought the kit) on the fog lights, swap out my ls600 headlighs for the stock ones (i get to keep my ls600 lights too), replace the black interior panel below where the driver's seatbel is attached (seatbelts usually scuff that part really bad), flush my coolant.... all for $300............. oh and i did not buy the stock headlights or the interior planels that i need replaced either..He is providing those for me too..
Must be be a very,very,very good friend.
Slvr surfr is offline  
Old 03-16-13, 11:46 AM
  #13  
RandyV
Lead Lap
 
RandyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Insane Diego, CA
Posts: 515
Thanked 16 Times in 16 Posts
Default

So what's the point of this thread again?

RandyV is offline  
Old 03-17-13, 01:59 AM
  #14  
redoctane
Driver School Candidate
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: CA
Posts: 31
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
well, i got 8 spark plugs, 2 air filters and a cabin ac air filter yesterday for $130.... It can be side work, or not side work, but i am not going to complain about it. Just like i am not going to complain when he installs my spark plugs, Hid kit (i bought the kit) on the fog lights, swap out my ls600 headlighs for the stock ones (i get to keep my ls600 lights too), replace the black interior panel below where the driver's seatbel is attached (seatbelts usually scuff that part really bad), flush my coolant.... all for $300............. oh and i did not buy the stock headlights or the interior planels that i need replaced either..He is providing those for me too..
your point? I can't understand what are you trying to prove?
redoctane is offline  
Old 03-17-13, 05:37 PM
  #15  
jmcraney
Moderator
 
jmcraney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: TX
Posts: 1,710
Thanked 52 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by silver305 View Post
I wanted to know what problems have you guys had with yoru car. What are common problems with this vehicle? how much are the repair costs for such issues without a warranty?
I would like to hear from everyone who currently has or had owenership of a LS 460.
THANK YOU!
My car is a 2007 LS460 that I bought new in Sep '07.

I had a major wind noise problem. The dealer, one of the largest dealers in the US, replaced the windows in the front doors. That did not improve the wind noise. Lexus corporate was no help with the wind noise. I fixed the wind noise myself for about $2 in materials and 20 minutes labor.

My car was recalled for the Fuel Rail TSIB. No charge and uneventful.

My car was recalled to the Valve Spring TSIB. No charge and eventful.

When they did the Valve Spring TSIB I told them that the trunk release switch had been gummy for about two years and even though they insisted that it was the first incidence of that they had seen they replaced it at no charge. At the same time, my sister who lives 500 miles away from me had an '09 Toyota Sienna with a gummy lift-gate switch. I don't think anything that I did or my environment caused that problem.

My car has a whopper jawed glove box door. I have not complained about that to the dealer.

My car exhibits a surging/stalling condition that seems to coincide with getting the oil changed. I have not taken this up with the dealer as the condition seems to be "self clearing" and resolves before I can get to the dealership.

I have had a few times when the automatic door closer failed to complete on one of the rear doors. This condition is so rare that I have not complained to the dealer about it and it has not occurred in the last three years.

I remain very pleased with my car and love to drive it. It is exceptionally quiet, gets good gas mileage, is very comfortable and has a great sound system (ML). I have not added the car-in-motion override and I find the navigation system very useful although there was a learning curve.
jmcraney is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)


Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: