LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 01:34 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by UDel
What kits for them all cost 200? Are they high quality?

Control arms worry me but have not turned me off since there are after market and DIY options. They were supposed to have been improved around mid 2010 but if you do searches on cars that had the improved control arms I have found over 50% that still needed the control arms replaced so they did not fix the design and it does not even seem like they improved it much, it is actually only the cheap rubber bushing that goes bad, the metal part can be reused and lasts.
Quality? Who knows? The OE aren't exactly quality either. But I'll give you a couple examples....$199 for four upper control arms on EBay (didn't look into who made them). I'll give you more examples...purchased Beck Arnley and Mevotech for somewhere around $40 per arm. I recently purchased an arm the other day for $48, it was from Worldpack out of a New Jersey warehouse through Carquest. Worldpack is generally OE equipment without the manufacturer name on it, I've had tremendous successes with Worldpack. However this was for my rearward upper front arm, to purchase the front upper frontward facing arm would be $300. Why? I have no idea. So I bought two frontward facing upper control arms today for $48 total shipped (carparts.com) no idea what brand. Probably nothing great, but if they last me two years/60k miles? I'm fine with that.
Old 03-02-18, 04:20 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Quality? Who knows? The OE aren't exactly quality either. But I'll give you a couple examples....$199 for four upper control arms on EBay (didn't look into who made them). I'll give you more examples...purchased Beck Arnley and Mevotech for somewhere around $40 per arm. I recently purchased an arm the other day for $48, it was from Worldpack out of a New Jersey warehouse through Carquest. Worldpack is generally OE equipment without the manufacturer name on it, I've had tremendous successes with Worldpack. However this was for my rearward upper front arm, to purchase the front upper frontward facing arm would be $300. Why? I have no idea. So I bought two frontward facing upper control arms today for $48 total shipped (carparts.com) no idea what brand. Probably nothing great, but if they last me two years/60k miles? I'm fine with that.
I took a quick look at Beck Arnley and saw they were $125 on one site which is why I asked where you got yours, seemed like it was only for one but maybe it was for 4 or a set, I did not look to much further. OEM's would not be reliable either as they don't seem to last like they should but I would still want a aftermarket that will last at least as long as the OEM.

https://www.partsgeek.com/6c28np8-le...ad=11620898072
Old 03-02-18, 05:07 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I took a quick look at Beck Arnley and saw they were $125 on one site which is why I asked where you got yours, seemed like it was only for one but maybe it was for 4 or a set, I did not look to much further. OEM's would not be reliable either as they don't seem to last like they should but I would still want a aftermarket that will last at least as long as the OEM.

https://www.partsgeek.com/6c28np8-le...ad=11620898072
Yeah I didn't pay that much for my Beck Arnley control arms, but then again it was two years ago. I'll tell you what though, I wouldn't pay that much for Beck Arnley arms, I'd look elsewhere. In the long run the BA arms didn't last any longer than the Mevotech. I think OE is $394?? Per arm. You could go that route but I wouldn't. I really don't know of any real solid aftermarket brand for the upper arms, and the uppers take the most abuse by far. I'm just planning on replacing them every couple of years because of the amount of driving I do. They are very very easy to replace.
Old 03-03-18, 07:52 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I didn't pay that much for my Beck Arnley control arms, but then again it was two years ago. I'll tell you what though, I wouldn't pay that much for Beck Arnley arms, I'd look elsewhere. In the long run the BA arms didn't last any longer than the Mevotech. I think OE is $394?? Per arm. You could go that route but I wouldn't. I really don't know of any real solid aftermarket brand for the upper arms, and the uppers take the most abuse by far. I'm just planning on replacing them every couple of years because of the amount of driving I do. They are very very easy to replace.
Have you replaced them yourself?
Old 03-03-18, 09:29 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Have you replaced them yourself?
Yeah pretty easy to do. Here's a thread I created a couple of years ago. I replaced them on my back in my garage. It's much easier if you have a loft but even without one it's not that bad.

Amd keep on mind the upoers - the ones that fail the most - are really easy to do, probably an hour job for both sides.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html
Old 03-03-18, 01:15 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah pretty easy to do. Here's a thread I created a couple of years ago. I replaced them on my back in my garage. It's much easier if you have a loft but even without one it's not that bad.

Amd keep on mind the upoers - the ones that fail the most - are really easy to do, probably an hour job for both sides.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html
Thanks for that DIY, I looked and could not find a decent one for the LS here or on youtube, I may be asking for some tips if I get a LS.
Old 04-20-18, 05:33 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Considering an '07 LS460L, trouble areas to look for?

Hi all, I have been a member here for years, but away for awhile after I sold my '91 LS400 about 8 years ago. Now I am considering the purchase of a '07 LS460L with 138k miles, but I am not at all familiar with these cars other than I love they way they look. The one I am interested in looks super nice inside and out. I have owned several Lexus in the past, but all were early 90s LS400. I am not at all familiar with the LS460 as I have mentioned. I wasn't even looking for one of these, but ran across it in my search for an Avalon. The LS460 is a rare car around here and I rarely see one for sell, especially the "L" model. Do these have timing belts that have to be changed? Any tips on trouble spots, etc., would be appreciated. I am thinking how I have read for years in magazines such as Consumer Reports and JD Power that the Lexus LS models are generally the most reliable, trouble-free cars on the road, but I see a lot of issues going on here with the early LS460 models, so wondering if it is something as bullet-proof as I am looking for, or should I stick with an Avalon or Sequoia (which are two others I am considering), or does this just look worse than it actually is? I know that the late 00's were some of Toyotas lowest times, so hoping it did not bleed over into the Lexus lines, especially the LS. Below are a couple of photos of the car. Many thanks in advance.

Btw - I clicked on the little link where it says what to look for '07-09 LS460 to keep from posting unnecessarily, but when I click on it, it takes me to "on the lot for 30 days thread", so that does not help.

Last edited by 91LS400LEX; 04-20-18 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-20-18, 07:05 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Here is my own things to check for Ls460...
  1. Were all applicable recalls performed?
  2. Do both mirrors adjust?
  3. Do Mirrors fold in and out as expected?
  4. If Air suspension, are struts leaking? Were they changed and if yes, when? measure height of car at all corners.
  5. Are Control Arm bushings leaking, cracked/missing?
  6. Check all speakers to see if they are blown, specifically the subwoofer.
  7. Do all doors lock and unlock with the key?
  8. If equipped with auto door closures, do all doors auto close?
  9. Plug in OBDII tool and check emissions readiness.
  10. Check telescoping/Tilt steering operation.
  11. Check Hood & trunk Struts.
  12. If equipped, check rear sunshade and rear window sunshade operation.
  13. Check front and rear parking sensors.
  14. Check coolant level, any leaked coolant, brake fluid level/condition.
  15. Check service history by entering the VIN on Lexus Drivers website. You will need to create a free account.
  16. Any issues with brake or brake actuators? Brakes on LS460 grab pretty good. Any issue stopping would be a concern.
  17. Are foam/plastic door armrest cracked/melting? (Some rare cars has leather armrest and those are desirable)
And of course, the regular test drive to check engine and transmission. After purchase, drain/refill ATF with Toyota WS from time to time.

I recently got my 2011 LS460L and love it. I can't say anything about reliability yet but I expect it to be reasonably reliable.
The following 4 users liked this post by BMW7_LS430:
91LS400LEX (04-20-18), dlbuckls10 (04-21-18), golddust8 (09-28-20), sha4000 (04-21-18)
Old 04-20-18, 11:33 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks for the reply and info. I am going to check it out this week. Of course my dad says stay away, as it is a Lexus and costly to maintain, well duh, I used to own two before, so I already know this. lol. I am also considering Sequoia and Avalon, so I need to drive one to see which I like best. Seller did tell me that the car was 1-owner and had been serviced only at the local Lexus dealer since new.
Old 04-21-18, 08:13 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

I think BMW7 just about covered everything. I'll just add to make sure the AC and heat are working properly front and rear. Check the flow out of ALL vents.
The following users liked this post:
91LS400LEX (04-22-18)
Old 04-21-18, 10:50 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 91LS400LEX
Thanks for the reply and info. I am going to check it out this week. Of course my dad says stay away, as it is a Lexus and costly to maintain, well duh, I used to own two before, so I already know this. lol. I am also considering Sequoia and Avalon, so I need to drive one to see which I like best. Seller did tell me that the car was 1-owner and had been serviced only at the local Lexus dealer since new.
If it was serviced at the Lexus dealer, you can plug the VIN into the Lexus Drivers site and get the service history. You'll have to create an account and add the car (it lets you add any car, even if it's not yours), and then pull up the service history.

https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/
91LS400LEX (04-22-18)
Old 04-21-18, 12:00 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sha4000
I think BMW7 just about covered everything. I'll just add to make sure the AC and heat are working properly front and rear. Check the flow out of ALL vents.
Agreed he covered a lot of good topics ! Best of luck
91LS400LEX (04-22-18)
Old 04-21-18, 01:32 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 147 Posts

I wish a mod would sticky one of these threads. This is the most common thread here now. I can spot 2-3 of these type threads on the first page of LS460 area.

To the OP, good luck !
91LS400LEX (04-22-18)
Old 04-22-18, 07:40 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Thanks! Well I have asked the seller for the VIN and will see what I can find out. He did say it was a 1-owner car and was serviced at the Lexus dealer, so I should be able to see what all service has been completed. Hope it works out for me.
Old 04-22-18, 09:16 PM
91LS400LEX
Lead Lap

Got the VIN from the website - registered with Lexus. TMPS replaced 100 miles ago, 500 miles ago, it shows this: "STATES THAT VSC AND ABS LIGHT HAVE C OME ON. SAYS SEVERE WARNING LIGHT HAS COME ON AND SAYS TO PULL OVER IMMEDIATELY. ~ ~CODE 1391 ABNORMAL LEAK IN ACCUMULATOR ~ ~REPLACE BRAKE ACTUATOR ASSY AND BLEED SYSTEM" - I am assuming this was done?

Front and rear pads and rotors done 3000 miles ago. (It has 143K now)

4000 miles ago:
Repair# 0116176
reported by: Lexus of
Service: description: CHECKED BATTERY, TESTED GOOD TO REHCARGE, TECH NOTICED COURTESY SWITCH WAS SHORTING OUT ON LEFT FR ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES ON COLD START IT IS SLUGGISH AND WHEN PUT IN REVERSE IT CUTS OFF ~ ~CHECKED BATTERY, TESTED GOOD TO REHCARGE, TECH NOTICED COURTESY SWITCH WAS SHORTING OUT ON LEFT FR
Service: BRAKES ARE 4MM FRONT AND REAR , RECOMMEND RECHECKING BRAKES NEXT SERVICEdescription: BRAKES ARE 4MM FRONT AND REAR , RECOMMEND RECHECKING BRAKES NEXT SERVICE ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES TO INSPECT BRAKES SQUEALING WHEN APPLIED ~ ~
Service: TURNED OFF AUTOMATIC WINDOW ROLL DOWN FEATUREdescription: TURNED OFF AUTOMATIC WINDOW ROLL DOWN FEATURE ~ ~CUSTOMER REQUEST TO TURN OFF ALL WINDOW ROLL DOWN OPERATION WITH REMOTE ~ ~

15000 miles ago
Service: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH)description: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES METAL TO METAL NOISE WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED ~ ~EXCESSIVE LATERAL RUNOUT IN FRONT
Service: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) COMB: OPPOSITE SIDEdescription:
Service: FLUID, TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC - REPLACEdescription: FLUID, TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC - REPLACE ~ ~FLUID, TRANSMISSION - AUTOMATIC - REPLACE ~ ~
Service: R. DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH)description: R. DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES SQUEAKING NOISE WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED IN REAR ~ ~EXCESSIVE LATERAL RUNOUT IN THE REAR
Service: R. DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) COMB: OPPOSITE SIDEdescription:
Service: REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTERdescription: REPLACE CABIN AIR FILTER ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES CHECK A/C FILTER LIGHT STAYS ON ~ ~
Service: SYSTEM, COOLING - FLUSHdescription: SYSTEM, COOLING - FLUSH ~ ~SYSTEM, COOLING - FLUSH ~ ~

99,000 miles
Service: description: 30000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL/FILTER CHANGE,BALANCE/ROTATE TIRES,REPLACE AIR FILTER,REPLA ~ ~30000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:OIL/FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE/BALANCE TIRES,REPLACE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID,CABIN FILTER,ENGINE AIR FILTER,PCV VALVE,INSPECT FLUID LEVELS,VISUAL BRAKE INSPECTION,INSPECT CHASSIS ~ ~
Service: 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENTdescription: 4 WHEEL ALIGNMENT ~ ~CHECK RIGHT FRONT TIRE TREAD IS WEARING OUT ~ ~
Service: CUSTOMER REQUEST BRAKE FLUID EXCHANGEdescription:
Service: DID NOT DO ROTATE/BALANCE TIRES - DEDUCTED LABOR CHARGE - NEEDS TIRES REPLACEDdescription: 30000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL/FILTER CHANGE,BALANCE/ROTATE TIRES,REPLACE AIR FILTER,REPLA
Service: METAL BONE KEYdescription: METAL BONE KEY ~ ~ORDER KEY ~ ~
Service: NO CHARGEdescription: NO CHARGE ~ ~TOUCH UP PAINT CHIPS ~ ~
Service: REPLACE 2 FUSES TO FRONT AND REAR POWER OUTLETSdescription: REPLACE 2 FUSES TO FRONT AND REAR POWER OUTLETS ~ ~CHECK REAR POWER OUTLET IS NOT WORKING ~ ~
Service: REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND FRONT BRAKE ROTORSdescription: REPLACE FRONT BRAKE PADS AND FRONT BRAKE ROTORS ~ ~CHECK FOR VIBRATION WHEN BRAKES ARE APPLIED ~ ~
Service: REPLACE REAR BRAKE ROTORS
@ 76000 miles

Service:
description: 5000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL/FILTER CHANGE, ROTATE TIRES,INSPECT FLUID LEVELS,INSPECT BRA ~ ~5000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL/FILTER CHANGE, ROTATE TIRES,INSPECT FLUID LEVELS,INSPECT BRAKES,INSPECT AIR FILTER ~ ~5000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL/FILTER CHANGE, ROTATE TIRES,INSPECT FLUID LEVELS,INSPECT BRA
Service: DRAIN BAD FUEL FROM FUEL TANK AND REFILL / REPLACE SPARK PLUGSdescription: DRAIN BAD FUEL FROM FUEL TANK AND REFILL / REPLACE SPARK PLUGS ~ ~TOW IN - CUSTOMER FILLED UP WITH GAS - DROVE 2 MILES - DIED - WILL NOT RESTART ~ ~
Service: REPLACE BOTH FRONT FOG LIGHT BULBSdescription: REPLACE BOTH FRONT FOG LIGHT BULBS ~ ~CHECK RF FOGLIGHT OUT -- REPLACE BOTH ~ ~

@ 59000 miles

Service:
description: CHECK SYSTEM, CLEAR CODE P0308 - CYLINDER 8 MISFIRE DETECTED - VEHICLE IS OPERATING PROPERLY AT TH ~ ~CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON ~ ~CHECK SYSTEM, CLEAR CODE P0308 - CYLINDER 8 MISFIRE DETECTED - VEHICLE IS OPERATING PROPERLY AT TH60000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:OIL/FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE/BALANCE TIRES,REPLACE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID,CABI ~ ~60000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:OIL/FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE/BALANCE TIRES,REPLACE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID,CABIN AIR FILTER,ENGINE AIR FILTER,SPARK PLUGS,ENGINE DRIVE BELTS,PCV VALVE,VISUAL BRAKE INSPECTION ~ ~
Service: BALANCE FOUR TIRES (SEE LINE D FOR REPAIRS)description: BALANCE FOUR TIRES (SEE LINE D FOR REPAIRS) ~ ~CHECK VIBRATION IN STEERING WHILE DRIVING AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS - LIKE SOMETHING IS LOOSE ~ ~
Service: DID NOT REPLACE ENGINE OIL AND FILTER (PRICE ADJUSTED)description: 60000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:OIL/FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE/BALANCE TIRES,REPLACE DIFFERENTIAL FLUID,CABI
Service: REPLACE LEFT FRONT TIRE PRESSURE SENSORdescription: REPLACE LEFT FRONT TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR ~ ~CHECK TIRE LIGHT STAYS ON ~ ~
Service: RESURFACE FRONT ROTORS/REPLACE BRAKE PADSdescription: RESURFACE FRONT ROTORS/REPLACE BRAKE PADS ~ ~RESURFACE FRONT ROTORS/REPLACE BRAKE PADS ~ ~

@ 36000 miles

Service: COMB: OPPOSITE SIDE
description:
Service: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH)description: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) ~ ~CHECK FOR FRONT BRAKE VIBRATION ~ ~EXCESSIVE LATERAL RUNOUT
Service: F.DSC 1-SD (ON-VEH) COMB:description:
Service: OPPOSITE SIDEdescription:
Service: R. DSC 1-SD INCL;R&R DSC PADdescription: R. DSC 1-SD INCL;R&R DSC PAD ~ ~CHECK FOR VIBRATION WHEN APPLY BRAKES LIGHT IN REAR ~ ~EXCESSIVE LATERAL RUNOUT

@ 29000 miles

Service: AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLYdescription: AIR CLEANER ASSEMBLY ~ ~CHECK AIR CLEANER COVER LOOSE ~ ~COVER SEPERATED
Service: CYL HD CVR GSKT (LEFT SIDE)description: CYL HD CVR GSKT (LEFT SIDE) ~ ~CHECK FOR OIL LEAK ~ ~SEAL LOST TENSION
Service: RESET AC LIGHT - FILTER OKdescription: RESET AC LIGHT - FILTER OK ~ ~CHECK A/C FILTER LIGHT STAYS ON

@ 26000 miles

Service: LS VALVE SPRING REPLACEMENTdescription: LS VALVE SPRING REPLACEMENT ~ ~LS VALVE SPRING REPLACEMENT ~ ~SSC ALE

@ 26000 miles

Service: 5000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL AND FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE TIRES,INSPECT FLU
description: 5000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL AND FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE TIRES,INSPECT FLU ~ ~5000 MILE SERVICE INCLUDES:ENGINE OIL AND FILTER CHANGE,ROTATE TIRES,INSPECT FLUID LEVELS,VISUAL BRAKE INSPECTION,INSPECT ENGINE AIR FILTER,RESET MAINTENANCE REQUIRED LIGHT
Service: CHECK SYSTEM - CLEAR CODE U1114 - SYSTEM OPERATING NORMAL AT THIS TIMEdescription: CHECK SYSTEM - CLEAR CODE U1114 - SYSTEM OPERATING NORMAL AT THIS TIME ~ ~CHECK PARK SENSORS - SOMETIMES STAYS ON UNTIL 10 MPH
Service: GAUGE TIRE PSIdescription: GAUGE TIRE PSI ~ ~CHECK TIRE LIGHT ON
Service: RIGHT REAR LUG NUT MISSING SPECIAL ORDER PART $11.00description:

@ 15000 miles

Service: REPLACE IDLE PULLEYS NO.1 AND NO. 2description: REPLACE IDLE PULLEYS NO.1 AND NO. 2 ~ ~REPLACE IDLE PULLEYS NO.1 AND NO. 2 ~ ~SSC-8LA
Service: REPLACE PASS SIDE MIRRORdescription: REPLACE PASS SIDE MIRROR ~ ~REPLACE PASSENGER OUTSIDE MIRROR
Service: REPLACE SPARE TIREdescription: REPLACE SPARE TIRE ~ ~CHECK TIRE IN TRUNK FLAT - WAS ON RIGHT FRONT

@ 13000 miles

Service: REPLACE FUEL DELIVERY PIPES LS460
description: REPLACE FUEL DELIVERY PIPES LS460 ~ ~REPLACE FUEL DELIVERY PIPES LS460 ~ ~SSC9LA

@ 6600 miles

Service: DISCUSSING W/DASHBOARD AUDIO--WILL NEED OVER-RIDE MODULE BEFORE REMOTE STARTER W
description: DISCUSSING W/DASHBOARD AUDIO--WILL NEED OVER-RIDE MODULE BEFORE REMOTE STARTER W ~ ~INSTALL REMOTE START

@ 2300 miles (this sounds scary - smoking from tailpipe maybe??)

Service: OXYGEN SENSOR (ONE)
description: OXYGEN SENSOR (ONE) ~ ~VEHICLE HESITATING ~ ~CODE P2198 OPEN CIRCUIT IN AIR FUEL SENSOR
Service: REPLACED ECMdescription: REPLACED ECM ~ ~VEH.SMOKING ~ ~INTERNAL SHORT IN ECM

@ 2300 miles

Service: REPLACED FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR
description: REPLACED FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR ~ ~VEHICLE SMOKING AT TIMES ~ ~INTERNAL PROBLEM IN FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR

Service: description: CODES P0300,P0302,P0304,P0306,P0175 ,P2198 SEVERAL MISFIRE CODES DUE TO FUEL COND ~ ~WARNING LIGHTS ON, VEHICLE SMOKING AND HESITATINGCODES P0300,P0302,P0304,P0306,P0175 ,P2198 SEVERAL MISFIRE CODES DUE TO FUEL COND

@ 2200 miles

Service: CODE P0306 MISFIRE ON CYLINDER 6, CLEARED AND RESET
description: CODE P0306 MISFIRE ON CYLINDER 6, CLEARED AND RESET ~ ~ENGINE LIGHT CAME ON/SMOKE FROM EXHAUST

Seems like a lot of issues to me? May have been a lemon. Should I pass this one up? Thanks!

Quick Reply: What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)