LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 12:15 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Many buyers prefer the non air suspension because air suspensions are prong to problems. Any air suspension can be replaced with shocks or struts, including the LS. The 460 is nice to drive but not engaging. Its a big full size, comfortable, smooth highway car and isn't much fun driving on winding and twisty roads.
Old 03-25-16, 12:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by v8lexusrun
I completely agree that all brands of their issues.

The purpose of my thread was to understand and set expectations.

Correct me if I'm wrong:
1. The LS 460 can be found without the air suspension?
2. The LS 460 can have your suspension removed and replaced with traditional suspension?
3. The vibration issue that seems to be popping up as related to tires and not to the driveline?

Also, are these cars engaging to drive? Can you have some fun with them around twisty roads?

Thanks
Yes these cars can be found without air ride.
I don't know what you mean by asking if the suspension can be replaced with a traditional suspension, do you mean can air shocks be replaced with traditional struts? Or do you mean the entire suspension can be replaced with an entirely different one?
The vibration issue doesn't seem to be a bi tissue around here, but vibration issues can either be from tires, suspension or driveline. There is a rubber flexible coupling where the driveshaft meets the pinion flange on these cars. They can crack, which may cause a vibration.

And no these cars aren't exactly engaging, they handle good for a car this size and the steering is very responsive, but this is no Porsche.
Old 03-25-16, 01:09 PM
v8lexusrun
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"I don't know what you mean by asking if the suspension can be replaced with a traditional suspension, do you mean can air shocks be replaced with traditional struts? Or do you mean the entire suspension can be replaced with an entirely different one?"

Thanks - yes - can the air shocks be replaced with tradition struts was the meaning behind my question.

I realize that it not a lightweight sports car - my question is more this - For those that enjoy an "engaged" driving experience - does it offer this? Does it have a chassis and drivetrain that lets the driver "play" a little when the road gets fun...

Thanks
Old 03-25-16, 06:04 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

If you are buying a 2008 model run the VIN on the Lexus site to see if the control arms have been replaced. If they haven't, have a competent mechanic inspect them.

Originally Posted by v8lexusrun
For those that enjoy an "engaged" driving experience - does it offer this? Does it have a chassis and drivetrain that lets the driver "play" a little when the road gets fun...

Thanks
Short answer, no. Certainly not in a 2008. A later F Sport may be better, but I don't know, I never drove one.
Old 03-25-16, 06:19 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My 08 is non air. You can find what you want if you look around long enough.
Old 03-26-16, 05:19 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Other than the suspension wearing out, prematurely in the case of the early LS', I don't think there are too many dangerous issues, at least not ones that will leave you stranded on the side of the freeway with check engine lights and limp modes based on my brief stint here. All cars will need new suspension components, especially the heavier ones. The LS is not immune to that and I consider it normal wear and tear.

The brake actuator is another issue I see that randomly pops up here.

While both are expensive to repair and replace, I think it's better than having oil or fuel pumps failing, PCVs getting clogged, carbon buildup or thermostats going out, all of which can you leave stranded. I haven't seen too many of these issues come up, but they are notorious in other brands.
Old 03-26-16, 08:00 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

You can't buy an 8 year old vehicle and expect it to be maintenance free.
Old 05-28-16, 02:36 AM
blahsx
Driver School Candidate

Default 2010 ls460 common problems

hi i know that 07-08 has control arm/brake actuator common problems but does the 2010 ls460 has this issue too? i cant find the common problem info on the sticky thread if someone can link me that would be great. Im planning to pick up a 2010 ls460L soon and would like to know the common problems for the 2010. i found a thread where someone said that 2010 is when they fix this issue blah blah but i lost the link to it. please let me know thank you
Old 05-28-16, 03:41 AM
redlight30
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2010 had over $20k in warranty repairs on the suspension. I am sure the control arms were done all the way around at least once. Other than that the car had no issues.
Old 05-28-16, 09:14 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by redlight30
My 2010 had over $20k in warranty repairs on the suspension. I am sure the control arms were done all the way around at least once. Other than that the car had no issues.
Sure 20 grand is the inflated ripoff tear your heart out dealer pricing. In reality a couple grand probably would have fixed it at an honest shop with aftermarket parts that probably are the same as the Toyota branded ones.
The following users liked this post:
Teammelvis (09-15-21)
Old 05-29-16, 09:52 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

For the record, my 2008 now has 110k miles and has needed neither control arms, nor brake actuator.

As noted by Kenny, the control arms can be replaced for about a grand, all in, by an independent using aftermarket parts.
Old 05-29-16, 04:12 PM
chris3881
Driver School Candidate

Where would you get the parts? (control arms)
Old 05-29-16, 06:12 PM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chris3881
Where would you get the parts? (control arms)
this should get you started: EBAY, Amazon, Rock auto, etc...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html
Old 05-29-16, 06:48 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you i've had the RR air shock fail 1x, and leaking down but functional twice now.

This will be the 4th RR air shock assembly in this car. Stay away from air suspension unless you've GOTTA have a Sport SWB or a L.
Old 05-30-16, 05:57 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I can tell you i've had the RR air shock fail 1x, and leaking down but functional twice now.

This will be the 4th RR air shock assembly in this car. Stay away from air suspension unless you've GOTTA have a Sport SWB or a L.
I get the feeling that the "loaded" LS's have quite a few more issues than the base model. The base model doesn't have the air ride...hell I don't even have the upgraded stereo with the amp that fails (although I wish I did).

Air rides are a problem with every manufacturer unfortunately. The base model - which is still a very loaded car - has two issues that I can see...the brake module and the control arms. The brake module is now covered under warranty with unlimited mileage until Dec 2017. And every single control arm in the front end for around $1000 bucks. I think that's pretty impressive. I'm sure others have had some smaller things happen over the years, but not a world wide major issue. For me I've replaced some of my front control arms and a wheel bearing, pretty good for 127,000 miles.

Quick Reply: What should I look for with a used LS460? Common Problems? (merged threads)