LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'10 LS 460 or new Honda Fit LS?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 09:31 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking '10 LS 460 or new Honda Fit LS?

I know, kind of a ridiculous question right? Hear me out. I'm currently in the market for a daily driver, and I have heard that the LS 460 is rated very high as far as reliability. A brand new Honda Fit EX is just a few thousand cheaper than a used 2010 LS 460 and also is very reliable. The problem is that the Fit is economic, and the LS 460 is everything else! I know most of you will favor the LS 460, but I'd like an honest unbiased opinion with these points in mind:

1) I will be commuting 90 miles a day for work
2) Reliability is a high priority. I want to keep this car for 5-9 years as a reliable bulletproof commuter car, along with a more sporty new "weekend" car
3) The luxury and power is nice, but not necessary. The only reason I pick it over a Fit is how MUCH more luxurious and powerful it is. BUT if it's not reliable, I'd pick the Fit.
4) I already have a "fun" and "status" car, my 2016 BMW M3. Again, I just need a commuter, but if it can be awesome like a LS 460 and meet my reliability requirement, why not?

So, how truly reliable is a 2010 LS 460 with 100k miles? I've already read about control arms and melting door panels. How much are new control arms? Anything else I am missing at 100k miles or more? What would you think your cost of maintenance per year is? A new Honda Fit is cheaper, under warranty, and still reliable, but not nearly as nice as a LS 460. Thoughts?

Last edited by ragingf80; 03-11-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 10:37 PM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

You are comparing one extreme to another. For an $18K budget you could find something in between (luxury & economy) to suit your needs. You'd probably be miserable chugging along in a 130 hp tiny car on long commutes. Plus I'd want something bigger to be safer in. The Ls460 is an amazing ride but you would be hitting all the wear and tear maintenance very soon. Things can get very expensive if you can't so some of the maintenance yourself.

There is a guy on the Lexus 3GS forum section that put over 300k+ miles on a 2007 GS350 and did long daily commutes. He logged many entries and had a very positive experience over several years. I would get a 2009-2010 RWD GS350. Struts are cheap for rwd, and the only issue you may have is a failing water pump which goes out about 80K miles.
What ever you get I would skip anything with a timing belt to save on maintenance cost. I'd be ok with a timing belt vehicle if it is a non interference engine

Good luck

Last edited by JLAWS; 03-12-17 at 12:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-11-17, 11:02 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Opinion:
Buying a new car is something I've only done once in my life, and will never do again. I found zero value in doing it, except that I got to be the one to break it in. Otherwise, it is a complete waste of money vs. buying used or certified used. We bought both LS460s certified used, paying less than half the price vs. new for each.

If you are spending that much time in the car every day, you want quiet, comfort, and an excellent audio system in addition to bulletproof reliability. This sounds like a 2010-up LS460 with the 18" wheels, no air suspension, and ML audio. RWD if you live where it seldom snows, AWD elsewhere. The LS460 achieves excellent fuel economy, but requires premium fuel. It is the most reliable luxury car made.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tec80:
mckellyb (03-12-17), ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 06:30 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The LS is reliable in that it's not likely to "break down" on you and leave you stranded. However, routine maintenance and repairs will not be cheap. I drove from Sacramento to San Francisco every day for a year in 1976 (in a Ford Pinto). I know which car I would have chosen, given your choice (look at my sig)!
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 06:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Have you driven the Fit? When my wife was looking to buy a replacement car for her BMW X5, we test drove a Fit, a Mazda 3, a Hyundai Elantra GT and 4 year old CT 200H. The Fit was immediately struck off the list because of the price which was more than the others and had half the options. Yes Honda is reliable, but so are the others we test drove. The Mazda and the Hyundai drove extremely well and the Hyundai had all the bells and whistles for the same price. It also had the ridiculously great warranty and is also rated by several publications and reviews as one of the quietest cars made...google, "10 quietest cars", and you'll see that the Elantra makes the lists several times along with MB, Audi, Lexus, etc. The Mazda drove really nice too. Which leads me to the slightly older Lexus CT200H (hybrid). As soon as we drove that one, we were signing papers. She LOVES that car. You can imagine the incredible gas mileage she gets and hardly ever has to put gas in it. It has the quality Lexus feel, reliable, and very comfortable. You should try it out. You can get a two year old CT with 10-20k miles on the odo for about the same price as a Fit.

As for the LS460......well, obviously we're a little biased here. For road trips, there's no question that we'll take the LS before the CT, but we've done them in the CT as well and it never disappoints. Comfortable, agile, economical and has all the bells and whistles we want - heated seats, bluetooth, auto headlamps, auto wipers, etc.
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:15 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

I've read some reviews of the Fit over the years, and most people don't like driving it long distances. I have a friend who sold his after a year - he just couldn't take the harsh ride anymore.
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:30 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I've read some reviews of the Fit over the years, and most people don't like driving it long distances. I have a friend who sold his after a year - he just couldn't take the harsh ride anymore.
Yes, I forgot to mention that. It's loud and noisy - especially when pushed. We really didn't like it.
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:32 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

A new Honda Fit will probably suit you well. Its a Honda that's known for its reliability, its small, fun to drive, reliable, economical, factory warranty, excellent for daily long distance commuting and a gas saver. The Honda Fit isn't as nice or as comfortable as the 460 but the Honda Fit would be the choice for me.in your situation.
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 07:51 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Although Honda and Acura have plummeted in reliability ratings at CR, it would appear that the Fit should be very reliable.
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-12-17, 09:08 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Buying a new car is something I've only done once in my life, and will never do again.

I thought, initially, "when did I reply to this post?"

Oh.

I'm with Tec80 all the way.

The only way I'll purchase another car, new, is if it's something unusual which I plan to keep forever. Like a Grand Cherokee Hellkitty.

Can't afford it, but I can dream.

Also, don't think you're alone with a seemingly odd collection of vehicles being cross-shopped.

Before I got the '05 Cadillac STS, the RWD V8 one, I had on my list:

1995-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood, preferably a 'family car' version
A newer Fit
A 1990-1991 Dodge diesel pickup...4x4, extended cab, automatic
A 1966 Imperial convertible
A 2006 Jaaaaag XJ Super V8

The STS surprised me, and came outta nowhere.

When I bought the LS, I was quite-literally on my way to see a second 2004 Mercedes CL55 AMG. Couldn't get the guy to answer his phone, but this car was on the way, so why not take a look-see.

Ten minutes into the test drive, I asked my wife, riding in the passenger's seat, "where's the nearest Wells Fargo?"

She said, "really?"

I said, "really...this is it."

Last edited by mckellyb; 03-12-17 at 12:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mckellyb:
DavidinCT (03-17-17), ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 07:36 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

As an alternative, you could consider (around the same price range) a 13+ ES350 or ES300h, but I would go for LS460 all the way given the fact that you do commute almost 100 miles per day. Commuting isn't about getting there (which the Fit will do perfectly), rather it is the journey that most of us are focused on thus why our recommendation on the LS. Yes at 100k miles, it may pop up needing repairs but we've had members go well over 150k miles with no major mechanical issues and the LS is really an over-engineered over-built vehicle so I would definitely lot the miles scare me. As long as you're ok with premium fuel and low 20s mpg (because the Fit will win in terms of cost of ownership).
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 08:24 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

I know nothing about a Fit. But the name reminds me of what my young one did years ago when he didn't get his way.

The LS has to be one of the finest cars on the road. The comfort, the ride, the options all meet or exceed my expectations. If you're commuting, why not enjoy the luxury? The 2010 has some nice features not available in the 07-09. The main culprit, control arms, may or may not be an issue depending on the time of year it was built. You can find that out using the Lexus Owners Site and punching in the VIN.

Should you have a Fit? Up to you. Good luck.
Old 03-13-17, 11:10 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks EVERYONE for their feedback, definitely food for thought, this is all good information for me.

Originally Posted by JLAWS
You are comparing one extreme to another. For an $18K budget you could find something in between (luxury & economy) to suit your needs. You'd probably be miserable chugging along in a 130 hp tiny car on long commutes. Plus I'd want something bigger to be safer in. The Ls460 is an amazing ride but you would be hitting all the wear and tear maintenance very soon. Things can get very expensive if you can't so some of the maintenance yourself.

There is a guy on the Lexus 3GS forum section that put over 300k+ miles on a 2007 GS350 and did long daily commutes. He logged many entries and had a very positive experience over several years. I would get a 2009-2010 RWD GS350. Struts are cheap for rwd, and the only issue you may have is a failing water pump which goes out about 80K miles.
What ever you get I would skip anything with a timing belt to save on maintenance cost. I'd be ok with a timing belt vehicle if it is a non interference engine

Good luck
I would consider a 2012+ GS 350. Honestly the older GS models do nothing for me aesthetically. I know aesthetics should come second in a commuter car, but it's still $25k+ I'll be spending on something that I don't like to look at, if you know what I mean. I find the 2012+ GS 350 to be good looking so thanks for that insight.

Forgive my ignorance, but is the LS 460 or the GS 350 a timing belt vehicle? Non-interference?
Old 03-13-17, 11:22 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 335 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by ragingf80
Thanks EVERYONE for their feedback, definitely food for thought, this is all good information for me.

I would consider a 2012+ GS 350. Honestly the older GS models do nothing for me aesthetically. I know aesthetics should come second in a commuter car, but it's still $25k+ I'll be spending on something that I don't like to look at, if you know what I mean. I find the 2012+ GS 350 to be good looking so thanks for that insight.

Forgive my ignorance, but is the LS 460 or the GS 350 a timing belt vehicle? Non-interference?
No timing belt in the 460's - they are chains. Other alternative to a 460 would be an Avalon. You're not gonna get the same tomb-like experience or have a V8, but they're still nice cars and hold up very well and can be less expensive to maintain/repair than a Lexus. I just bought a 2010 460L (loyal LS owner, came from a 96 LS400 and a 04 LS430) and drive about 30k-40k per year. Nothing rides better on long trips than an LS.
ragingf80 (03-13-17)
Old 03-13-17, 11:58 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The answer to your question "So, how truly reliable is a 2010 LS 460 with 100k miles?" Very, based on other owners experience as stated above.

As you said, "The luxury and power is nice, but not necessary"

Seems you already made up your mind....

I suppose the rate limiting factor is money. (Isn't that always the problem?)

Reliability: LS~ Fit.
Cost of ownership: LS> Fit
Comfort/power/luxury: LS>Fit

So how much does the "extras that comes with LS" worth to you, since you will spend substantial time commuting ?

Total disclaimer here, i sold my M3 and bought my LS460 last month. Having twin boys and getting old kinda does that... All the best and let us know! I just joined and its a good bunch of peeps here!
ragingf80 (03-13-17)

Quick Reply: '10 LS 460 or new Honda Fit LS?