Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

LS600hL USB video

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-17, 06:08 AM
Tshuhash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS600hL USB video

Hello Guys,

My friend has got a '07 LS600hL with ML audio system and OEM built-in headrest monitors. The car also has a factory DVD player so the kids could watch videos while on the go. The question is: would it be possible somehow to play videos from a USB drive/Memory card and watch them on the factory headrest monitors? On a longer trip there are several discs which need to be changed but with a loaded flash drive or memory card it would have been much easier. It would not only save some space but some energy as well. Has anybody done this previously? Or does anybody know about a barnd/manufacturer/distributor who make these kind of enhancements? I know about audio enhancements, and also about some video players, but so far I couldn't find anything that is capable of the things I mentioned above.

Thanks,
Csaba
Old 03-02-17, 07:52 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

I have seen plenty of pics of 600hL interiors in the last 18 months, and this is the first report of OEM built-in headrest monitors. I think the system in your friend's car looks OEM but is in fact an aftermarket mod, unless your friend bought the car new with this equipment. Even then, it could have been installed by the dealer. The installer must have done a nice job of tapping the DVD player output for the headrest monitors, something that CLer Natelw is hoping to do.

A bunch of folks here have used USB sticks to play audio files. I suspect it is simply a matter of plugging into the USB port and selecting the correct input source on the Nav screen. I think it will be trickier to get USB input for the DVD/video signal playback. I have not read of anyone here attempting this mod. Companies like GROM and VAIS may make products for this application, and you can consult their websites regarding this. IMO, your best bet is to consult a professional auto AV installer. They are pretty resourceful. Good luck!
Old 03-02-17, 07:59 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I have seen plenty of pics of 600hL interiors in the last 18 months, and this is the first report of OEM built-in headrest monitors. I think the system in your friend's car looks OEM but is in fact an aftermarket mod, unless your friend bought the car new with this equipment. Even then, it could have been installed by the dealer. The installer must have done a nice job of tapping the DVD player output for the headrest monitors, something that CLer Natelw is hoping to do.

A bunch of folks here have used USB sticks to play audio files. I suspect it is simply a matter of plugging into the USB port and selecting the correct input source on the Nav screen. I think it will be trickier to get USB input for the DVD/video signal playback. I have not read of anyone here attempting this mod. Companies like GROM and VAIS may make products for this application, and you can consult their websites regarding this. IMO, your best bet is to consult a professional auto AV installer. They are pretty resourceful. Good luck!
Great info and advice here by AC. Upon reading the post, my first thought was the OP was going to need an aftermarket product for playback, and I was going to recommend the GROM and VAIS unit but also state that some owners with the older model LS vehicles-'07-'09, have complained about lines appearing in on the screen when switching modes and/or when the back up camera is used and that the customer support has ceased providing any assistance for said and any other issues for the older model LS.
Also, I thought the first year of the 600hL was '08
Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 03-02-17, 12:54 PM
Tshuhash
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. There has been a misundertanding from my side (since there are two kids I thought there are 2 monitors). Anyway, to clear things up: there is only 1 monitor which folds down from the ceiling and there are headphones which can be used in the back while the driver could listen to a separate source of music (radio, CD) in the front. So the question is: is there an option to enhance the rear entertainment system? Shall I just check with the aforementioned manifacturers?
The car had been bought in 2007, and its a european model (in Europe), but I think the system is more or less the same like the US models' system.
Old 03-02-17, 12:58 PM
Natelw
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger

BTW I still haven't found a solution on LS models 2013+. Beatsonic informed me they only have A/V input, not ouput so the search continues.

Quick question on your iPhone mirroring install, can you access the iPhone from the mouse in your car or do you just have to control from the iPhone itself. Other than Google maps I'm struggling to see the benefit of the iPhone mirroring personally.
Old 03-02-17, 02:00 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Natelw
BTW I still haven't found a solution on LS models 2013+. Beatsonic informed me they only have A/V input, not ouput so the search continues.

Quick question on your iPhone mirroring install, can you access the iPhone from the mouse in your car or do you just have to control from the iPhone itself. Other than Google maps I'm struggling to see the benefit of the iPhone mirroring personally.
Nate, great question. I have answered it on the iPhone mirroring thread to make it available to anyone interested in that topic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nt-camera.html
The following users liked this post:
Natelw (03-02-17)
Old 03-02-17, 02:11 PM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default According to my son... :-) ...

... You can see the movies played off the front DVD changer...and get sound through the rear headsets...and the driver can hear radio through the car's loudspeakers....
Just Skype'd with him and realaying the questions... (He is now reciding in Dallas, TX) and he told me he could possibly remember doing this in my car (2008 LS600hL European model, sold new in Switzerland) ... Check the owners manual ... I have never tried it myself ;-)
Arvid
Old 03-02-17, 02:18 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tshuhash
Alright. There has been a misundertanding from my side (since there are two kids I thought there are 2 monitors). Anyway, to clear things up: there is only 1 monitor which folds down from the ceiling and there are headphones which can be used in the back while the driver could listen to a separate source of music (radio, CD) in the front. So the question is: is there an option to enhance the rear entertainment system? Shall I just check with the aforementioned manifacturers?
The car had been bought in 2007, and its a european model (in Europe), but I think the system is more or less the same like the US models' system.
Sure, your friend's car has the ceiling DVD system found in the Executive package. What or how exactly do you want to enhance this system? I am pretty sure an auto AV shop can figure out how to split the AV signal going to the rear entertainment and distribute to headrest monitors. Most shops will do a free consult with a quote, so what do you have to lose?
Old 03-02-17, 06:21 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Arvid
... You can see the movies played off the front DVD changer...and get sound through the rear headsets...and the driver can hear radio through the car's loudspeakers....
Just Skype'd with him and realaying the questions... (He is now reciding in Dallas, TX) and he told me he could possibly remember doing this in my car (2008 LS600hL European model, sold new in Switzerland) ... Check the owners manual ... I have never tried it myself ;-)
Arvid
yes, it works by pressing the steering wheel Mode button after starting the video on the back screen.