LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Why so many AWD and no RWD

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-17, 10:12 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Just because something like AWD doesn't solve all your concerns about driving in the snow (other people on the road) doesn't mean that it doesn't improve that situation or isn't of value. With that said, in Richmond (I'm very familiar with Richmond) I wouldn't seek a car out with AWD unless you routinely travel in the winter to the mountains, etc.

With that said, I wouldn't turn down a good car that came a long that ticked my boxes because it was AWD either. In short, in your location I wouldn't care whether it was AWD or not.
Does the LS have the transfer case hump near the gas pedal like the GS has? If so, I cannot drive it. I drove an AWD GS350 and had to go back to the dealer within 5 minutes of starting the test drive because that hump was interfering with how I rest my foot when I drive. That is one of the several reasons I do not want an AWD. Let's just say i prefer RWD and leave it at that. I have an SUV that can fly through a foot of snow without a problem. I will only drive in the snow if I have an emergency anyways.
Old 02-05-17, 11:15 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
Does the LS have the transfer case hump near the gas pedal like the GS has? If so, I cannot drive it. I drove an AWD GS350 and had to go back to the dealer within 5 minutes of starting the test drive because that hump was interfering with how I rest my foot when I drive. That is one of the several reasons I do not want an AWD. Let's just say i prefer RWD and leave it at that. I have an SUV that can fly through a foot of snow without a problem. I will only drive in the snow if I have an emergency anyways.
Very slightly, nowhere near as pronounced as the bump in the GS (I've had both). Your leg never contacts it in the LS.

Bottom line, you won't find many RWD LS in the mid atlantic, and you're already limited to what sort of car you would accept since you hate the most common interior colors. If I were you...I would at least drive an AWD LS before I said I would refuse to accept one. With your limited scope I don't see you being successful in finding a car that meets your needs without being willing to travel significantly to get one.

Other issue? The tan interior is even more popular in the south and on the west coast...where most of the RWD cars are.

Again, we're just enthusiasts trying to help...if you're not willing to entertain our suggestions not sure what the point of posting is.

Last edited by SW17LS; 02-05-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 02-05-17, 11:21 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by UGKkllr
Tan interior. We have been discussing in this thread how much I do not want tan. There are ones with tan all over where I live. I will never buy one with tan again. I actually own 2 vehicles right now with tan leather. Time to get back to black or gray
OK, go these links:

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/
http://richmond.craigslist.org/

and enter "Lexus LS 460" and "Lexus LS460" and take your pick!

Last edited by sktn77a; 02-05-17 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Added Richmond Craigslist
Old 02-08-17, 08:12 AM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

I have been all over craigslist. I use SearchTempest to search craigslist, much easier than going from region to region and searching all over again. There are a few here and there but nothing I am crazy about. I just started using Car Gurus and I think it is better than the other big used car sites. I found what I thought was the perfect one at Texas Cars Direct but both bumpers have been painted so I am going to pass on it. I have accepted the fact that I will have to travel at least several hundred miles to find the right car. I once bought a 40k dollar car without ever seeing it and had it shipped to me from 1500 miles away. It had 5k miles and was a year old tho.

I understand you are trying to help, however the point of this thread was not to convince me why I should consider an AWD or tan leather, it was asking about AWD vs RWD availability. I have my preference and you have yours. Everyone has their own opinions too. Just because I do not agree with you doesn't mean I am wasting my time posting up as you are suggesting. I stated my opinion, I think tan leather is unattractive and I do not wish to own an AWD.
Old 02-08-17, 10:27 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I don't understand why complaining about members here when everyone is trying to help you out. If you don't like the feedbacks, shouldn't have posted here, at least that's what I would do.

I just did a cargurus search around San Francisco for models between 2010-12 RWD, most of those cars have grey/black interior. No point in complaining about tan interior cars around you
Old 02-08-17, 10:30 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

When I was searching / investigating Ed Zachery what LS vehicle I wanted, I inadvertently drove an AWD. And this was in Atlanta metro. While driving it, I kept hearing more drivetrain noise than I expected. Upon returning to the lot, I figured out it was an AWD, and that was the noise I was hearing. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't loud, it wasn't annoying. But, having worked for OEMs for 12 years, and driven many a vehicle on a test track, listening for every little noise imaginable, it wasn't difficult for my ears to discern this. Living in the SE, I hope I'm never forced to own an AWD. But put me back up in MI (or the northeast), and that's all I would want.

AWD is very useful in snowy areas. That doesn't mean it can go anywhere anytime. But it is much better in the slippery than RWD. Lord, please don't make me move back up yonder!

For the OP - After being exposed to vehicle assembly lines, I will say my favorite color combo is a darker red exterior, with a camel / tan leather interior with tinted windows. So delicious. My car? Smokey Granite Mica with they gray interior you seem to like ... and RWD!
Old 02-08-17, 10:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Bear in mind too that older LS's had some issues with AWD driveline sound and vibration that were addressed. I don't hear any drivetrain noise in my AWD either.

When I had another AWD vehicle in the family, I too would have preferred RWD, but you can't find them here as the OP has experienced. With that said, I bought an AWD GS and an AWD LS and to me even if you don't need or want the AWD, I wouldn't turn down a car I wanted because it was AWD. Theres just no difference really in every day driving between the AWD car and the RWD car.
Old 02-08-17, 11:47 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I really think OP gets what people are saying about AWD by now.

OP, forgive the obviousness, but it seems you can either wait for a local vehicle to appear (sounds like this could take a while, given your location and the configuration of cars bought in your area), expand your search, or re-think some of your options. I imagine you already know about all the car search websites and how to set up automatic searches (and notifications) -- I wouldn't be too specific about too many features, as not all cars are described correctly for that search function, so I think it's up to you to decide what to do.

i understand your disdain for various color combos, but most people are happy with their choices. There's no need for anyone to take your disdain personally, but as has been said, we get it.

i hope your search goes well and that you keep the forum updated!
Old 02-09-17, 12:08 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I just happen to stumble across this video last night. Not that I consider these CR guys to be any sort of expert on vehicles ... I don't. But there was a point made in the video that stood out to me, after reading through this thread, and some previous threads regarding similar subject(s).

The video is mildly interesting, it is linked below. But the point made and reinforced in the video, is that tires, that are actually made for snow / winter traction, make the biggest difference. And that the biggest advantage to AWD was for accelerating away from a stop.

Old 02-09-17, 12:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, but the benefit of AWD to me is that I have winter traction on demand without having to worry about winter tires, which in my area aren't worthwhile because so much of our winters can be temperate.
Old 02-09-17, 06:10 PM
Lukas99GS
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

See if you can find any GS460s they're rare but pretty much bulletproof and all RWD, I've had no issues with mine at all. Faster than the LS sportier handling and no suspension/control arm issues.
Old 02-09-17, 06:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's a totally different car though
Old 02-09-17, 07:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's a totally different car though
Yeah...absolutely... and no faster than the LS either. I read reviews and road tests that didn't heap a lot of praise on it. I loved the idea of a smaller vehicle with the 4.6 V8, but the reviews swayed me away.
Old 02-21-17, 03:35 PM
UGKkllr
Intermediate

I'm still looking and not finding much. I have found some black on black cars but more and more I want silver or gray with gray interior. It seems like I can find 13+ and 07-08 easily but for some reason there are not many 10-12 model years out there that meet my criteria. I'd like air suspension, ML stereo and suede headliner. I could live without the air suspension but the ML and suede are must haves. I am 100 percent on no AWD or tan, I will not settle. I have accepted the fact that I will have to travel for this car and I'm fine with that. I'm just hoping it's somewhere I can drive back from in a day or less , less than 500 miles.
Old 02-22-17, 06:45 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Lukas99GS
See if you can find any GS460s they're rare but pretty much bulletproof and all RWD, I've had no issues with mine at all. Faster than the LS sportier handling and no suspension/control arm issues.
Is it faster? It actually uses the engine from the GX460 and the Middle Eastern edition LS460 which lacks Direct Injection. In think maybe in 2013 or 2010, the ME did get the same Direct/Port Injection 4.6 V8 the 460 got elsewhere from the start. Horsepower is lower and the difference in weight is not that huge.

Quick Reply: Why so many AWD and no RWD