LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Check Parking Brake System - Water Intrusion - CPO

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17, 12:21 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Gbp
I've been pretty satisfied with the service department of my current dealer, Lexus of Marin. I have two other dealers about 45 minutes to an hour away. I also have a good independent mechanic a few minutes away from me. My local dealer has been good about dealing with CPO repairs. One good sign: both my independent and subsequently my dealer (without my prompting; I was at my dealer due to a battery replacement) identified a slow leak from my front shock absorbers. The dealer took care of it under the CPO warranty. Previously, my dealer worked with Lexus to perform a free 60K service (including the spark plug replacement) that my selling dealer should have done.

In summary, I'm pleased with my dealer's service department, and I'm fairly confident that between them, Lexus Corporate, and the body shop, the parking brake ECU/water intrusion issue will be solved at a no cost or reasonable cost to me.
That is the same dealer my youngest brother uses for his wife's RX400h and he likewise has been quite pleased with the service there. Great to know they are doing you right as far as the CPO warranty is going as I think their RX is likewise a CPO.
Old 01-27-17, 01:18 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Sorry to hear about all these troubles and thanks for the updates. Hope everything gets resolved to your satisfaction!.

BTW, is it an independent body shop or owned by one of the Lexus dealership?.

Per description, looks like bracket was replaced and body shop has determined that the bracket was re-designed later 2010 production but they received/used previous part. If my understanding is correct and assuming you have not had an accident to replace that bracket, your car would've had original part like all other LS460s and not a re-designed one. If that bracket were to be the culprit, other LS460s with similar brackets would have experienced leak due to rain. Your dealer should be able to comment on that. Also, once part is re-designed and assigned a new part number (typically a suffix), they carry a description as to what as modified to fix what issue. You will be able to get that info from dealer too. Just curious....
The body shop, Luxe Collision, is an independent business with a satellite office at the dealer.

Yes, I'll report the additional detail about the bracket when I have it. The body shop owner was puzzled that the problem hadn't been previously encountered. I'm not sure whether that's based on his experience or Lexus's. I can think of reasons for this, but speculation, while fun, isn't really useful at this point.
Old 01-27-17, 01:20 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Junglequac
That is the same dealer my youngest brother uses for his wife's RX400h and he likewise has been quite pleased with the service there. Great to know they are doing you right as far as the CPO warranty is going as I think their RX is likewise a CPO.
Good to know about your brother's positive experience with the dealer!
Old 01-28-17, 05:35 AM
BmoreSlvr4
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The exact same thing happened to me with my 2010 about 2 years ago. Unlike you my emergency brake actually activated while I was sitting at a stop sign, I had to use the manual emergency brake release in the spare wheel well (which the dealership, a Lexus focused mechanics, and a luxury car shop knew nothing about Thank goodness for The Googles) it was embarrassing to say the least. When I got it to the dealership the ECU area was totally flooded it had been raining steadily for the 2 days prior but my trunk itself was bone dry, no sign of moisture at all. The week before I had an event to attend and my usual hand wash spot was crowded so in a rush I went thru a drive thru and the high pressure under carriage wash pretty much blasted thru to that area. Unfortunately the warranty did not cover the cost of the repair, I paid roughly $1900.00 to have it fixed when it was all said and done, in hindsight I should have saved the money because I NEVER use the emergency brake but that "Check Emergency Brake" message on my dash would have killed my soul. I hope it works out for you, if not weigh your options and see if maybe someone can just clear the warning code because $2k isn't pocket change in this climate no matter how well off we possibly are.
The following users liked this post:
Gbp (01-28-17)
Old 01-28-17, 06:49 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by BmoreSlvr4
The exact same thing happened to me with my 2010 about 2 years ago.
The week before I had an event to attend and my usual hand wash spot was crowded so in a rush I went thru a drive thru and the high pressure under carriage wash pretty much blasted thru to that area. Unfortunately the warranty did not cover the cost of the repair, I paid roughly $1900.00 to have it fixed when it was all said and done.
Why would an undercarriage high pressure blast flood the ECU compartment? Are you sure there wasn't some prior damage that allowed the water to leak into that area? I regularly use a similar high pressure auto car wash near my home to get all the road salt and grime off. So far so good, but I am now worried that such a wash is potentially a disaster waiting to happen, particularly one not covered by warranty.
Old 01-28-17, 07:19 AM
BmoreSlvr4
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To my understanding it was worn or missing grommets/seal in that area, a large amount of the work was resealing it. If you look where the ecu is it is directly over the wheel well and that's where the water entered in my vehicle. The trunk itself was completely dry without a hint of moisture but that area was totally submerged. The car wash is the only event I could connect to the water intrusion because it had rained but I never drove through any standing water and my car was never in an area that water ever reached my trunk. I had my car for about 6 months before this happened and I never used a drive thru car was before this incident (actually never used a drive thru wash on my 2 prior Lexus' either SMH!) and never had an issue but soon as I did this happened.

**Trying to bring up my service record but the Owners site is acting funky, soon as I get access I will relay exactly what the dealership said.
comotiger (01-28-17)
Old 01-28-17, 10:29 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BmoreSlvr4
To my understanding it was worn or missing grommets/seal in that area, a large amount of the work was resealing it. If you look where the ecu is it is directly over the wheel well and that's where the water entered in my vehicle. The trunk itself was completely dry without a hint of moisture but that area was totally submerged. The car wash is the only event I could connect to the water intrusion because it had rained but I never drove through any standing water and my car was never in an area that water ever reached my trunk. I had my car for about 6 months before this happened and I never used a drive thru car was before this incident (actually never used a drive thru wash on my 2 prior Lexus' either SMH!) and never had an issue but soon as I did this happened.

**Trying to bring up my service record but the Owners site is acting funky, soon as I get access I will relay exactly what the dealership said.
Thanks very much for relating your experience. I've had my car since May 2015 and have used the same car wash numerous times before and after the body shop work during that period:

http://mattandjeffscarwash.com

I believe it's brushless. Whether it uses high pressure spraying in that area, I don't know. The check parking brake system occurred a week ago and days after the most recent car wash, immediately after the car had been sitting on a sloped driveway during a heavy rain. The car hadn't gone through any deep puddles that would have submerged the area. The body shop repair was done in 2/2016, my last service, 75K, was done in 10/2016.

There are a number of scenarios that could account for my problem, but they require a number of assumptions. Given the apparent redesign of the bracket, one has to wonder why. Was the original bracket more prone to failure over time? I don't know.

Can you share the production date of your 2010? Thanks.
Old 02-01-17, 08:08 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Update:

The service advisor told me there was no revised/redesigned rear bumper bracket for the car after all. The water intrusion was caused by the improper installation of the bracket by the body shop after repainting from my accident. Some grommets were apparently misplaced or mounted improperly, or something...

The body shop corrected the problem and placed the parking brake ECU. The dealer found the 30 amp fuse for the e-brake system had blown and replaced that.

The body shop stood behind their work and I paid nothing. Kudos to Luxe Collision and Lexus of Marin for working together on this! I picked up the car yesterday and was reminded of how much I appreciate my 2010 LS. The 2016 NX200t has some nice features, like a superior screen and BSM, but there's really no comparison between the two cars other than they we made by Lexus.
DavidinCT (11-23-21)
Old 02-01-17, 08:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

God it all worked out!
Old 02-01-17, 12:13 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Great news, Gbp. Glad it all worked out!
Old 02-01-17, 12:44 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Thanks, everyone, for your input and support!
Old 02-01-17, 02:27 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Great outcome, thanks for the update.
Old 02-03-17, 11:35 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by satiger
Great outcome, thanks for the update.
And thanks for contributing to this thread.

Last edited by Gbp; 02-03-17 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-03-17, 12:21 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

So nice to read a story where the business stood by their work with apparently no passing of the buck. Excellent to read that it all worked out and hopefully no other numbskull will rear end you!
Old 02-03-17, 02:36 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Junglequac
So nice to read a story where the business stood by their work with apparently no passing of the buck. Excellent to read that it all worked out and hopefully no other numbskull will rear end you!
Thanks for the nice thoughts! It was actually a driver"s door impact between below the side mirror area. A car ran a red light, directly hitting the car on my left side, which struck my car a glancing blow, causing damage to the driver's door and part of the front panel. No airbag deployment, no glass breaking. The power **** on my audio system flew off. I was unhurt and able to drive the car off the road when asked to do so. The other cars were totaled, and the guy in the car next to mine

When that side of the car was repainted, the rear bumper was removed and the rear panel "blended" with the rest of the side so that the paint would look the same. It was the faulty reattachment of the rear bumper that caused the problem months later with the heavy rains we've had I suspect the problem had been gradually occurring; the final straw was probably parking in a sloped driveway in the rain, shifting the accumulated water to contact the parking brake system ECU.

But, yes, the body shop and the dealer came through.

Quick Reply: Check Parking Brake System - Water Intrusion - CPO