LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 09:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
I also had one of the dreaded 2007 460's. In my few years of ownership, I had a slight rattle in the back, a few major oil changes, and I even had to do a complete tear down of the tires which included replacing them. One time I even had to completely replace my brakes. FRONT AND REAR. It was terrible. Cost me hundreds. Couldn't believe the dealership didn't do these things for me and made me do them myself. /sarcasm

Seriously while I did have a warranty, I didnt need it. I would have no issue owning this car out of warranty. It is the easiest car I've worked on recently. The only thing easier was an old 1978 Ford F150.

As far as having a bad car, it happens. I'm sure there was a 430 out there that was horrible and the owner swore to never buy another Lexus again. And I'm also sure the techs hated the 430 when it came out vs the 400 they knew. Cmon folks.
Best post ever! Clearly, my car has been far less reliable. I had to replace my mufflers and water pump! The horror......

Perhaps my years of BMW ownership (including their "flagship" 7 series), has left me appreciating what reliability means and what it's like to "drive on eggshells", waiting for something else to break or light to go off on my dash. I'm still waiting for a light to go off on my LS. Not holding my breath.

I'll echo your comments about servicing this car. No unicorn dust required to do anything on this car. Everything is straightforward and parts relatively easy to obtain for cheap. No special tools either so far....unlike my BMW's which needed special tools for proprietary fasteners, clips, clamps, etc. Just brutal.

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-02-17 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-02-17, 09:52 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Best post ever! Clearly, my car has been far less reliable. I had to replace my mufflers and water pump! The horror......

Perhaps my years of BMW ownership (including their "flagship" 7 series), has left me appreciating what reliability means and what it's like to "drive on eggshells", waiting for something else to break or light to go off on my dash. I'm still waiting for a light to go off on my LS. Not holding my breath.

I'll echo your comments about servicing this car. No unicorn dust required to do anything on this car. Everything is straightforward and parts relatively easy to obtain for cheap. No special tools either so far....unlike my BMW's which needed special tools for proprietary fasteners, clips, clamps, etc. Just brutal.
Agreed. I remember changing the thermostat and water pump on my '95 E36. Getting off the fan clutch was a b**** and after 2 days I gave in and bought the special tool required to remove it. It was at that moment at the age of 16 that I lost interest in owning an older model German car. Of course I'm attached to the car and still can't part ways with it.
Old 02-02-17, 09:59 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Amen. The one thing I will agree about the prior poster's unfortunate experience is that the 460 was/is a clean slate. A tabula rasa if you will. Coupled with vastly different requirements from everything from pedestrian safety, fuel economy, emissions, on and on, the 460 represented a break both aesthetically and mechanically.

That said, looking at everywhere from Consumer Reports to a myriad of other sites where long term ownership is judged, the 460 holds up. Look at Edmunds as there are 100s scattered over the production years and the score remains quite high.

It is not for nothing that a 2007 LS460 generally costs more than even the massively improved 2007+ Mercedes S Class (when comparing the same years) There are going to be lemons. No manufacturer is immune, but again just do a search of sub 100,000 mile 2007-2009 460's on Autotrader nationwide and the average price is over $20,000.
For a 10 year old car, that is excellent. Moreover, even with the forthcoming LS500, prices will stabilize as they do on all older Lexii.

While my ownership time with a 430 was relatively brief, mine was a 2005 that was as mechanically sound as any out there and was an Ultra Luxury to boot (I know some are scared off by the air suspension, but the PO had an extended service contract and all shocks were replaced) and it just was not for me. It had around 90,000 miles and was immaculate, and I regretted selling my LX470 within a week.

When I got into the 460, it just clicked for me personally. Greatly prefer the way it looks, greatly prefer the powertrain, and the stereo is of a whole other magnitude better. Do I wish the control arms was not an issue I will most likely confront in the future? Of course. That said, many owners of long term cars neglect replacing suspension components regardless instead focusing almost entirely on the drivetrain. Any car that has gone a good deal past 100,000 miles will greatly benefit from new shocks, control arms, et al.

While mine just hit 90,000 miles, so far the arms look fine and the car drives great. It might be that the PO living in Charlotte, NC and being a very conscientious owner helped. Especially the lack of any real snow or ice generally and the attendant corrosive chemicals and what it does to the roads themselves no doubt makes a difference.
While Knoxville is slightly colder, it is far indeed from the rust belt.

My control arms were fine when I replaced them at 87,000 miles. Even when I got them out they looked real good up close. They were never done previously. I just changed them for an adventure. My interior is pristine also. This notion that a LS460 is not a reliable car is pure bunk. The few recalls don't sit well with the Lexus techs that got stuck doing them though so they will diss the car. Pulling the motor for the Valve springs and dealing with the fuel rails is a scar they won't forget.
The following users liked this post:
RXGS (02-06-17)
Old 02-06-17, 01:49 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Interesting to see it with different wheels and at all angles, if you haven't already:

Old 02-06-17, 02:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I prefer the other wheels. That also shows you what it looks like with tinted windows.

I know others have mentioned this, but the way the base of the window line tips down halfway in the middle of the rear door doesn't appeal to me...
Old 02-06-17, 03:37 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Steve, so you are coming around to seeing why people are having issues with that rear window I think the frameless windows are pretty cool. It will be very interesting to see how they managed (engineered) that look without compromising on wind noise.

Last edited by comotiger; 02-06-17 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-06-17, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Oh I've always understood that. It looks more pronounced with the tinted windows is all.
Old 02-06-17, 08:11 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Oh I've always understood that. It looks more pronounced with the tinted windows is all.
car is beautiful
Old 10-28-17, 01:45 AM
lexusbaha
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are great and beyond friends. I have studied closely.... 2018 New Lexus LS

Source
Old 10-29-17, 08:16 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

That grill is hideous. And the interior? Red seats with the black dash would have been less "in your face". And those tufted door panels? Yikes. What happened? The rest of the car looks fine and maintains classic lines.
Old 10-29-17, 09:05 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That grill is hideous.
I agree. Totally hideous! It looks so ridiculous when meeting one head-on. The designers responsible for putting that grill in the car should be fired. I dislike it so much I would be hard pressed to buy another Lexus.
Old 10-29-17, 09:12 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Old 10-29-17, 09:51 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Is that the GS or the LS?
Old 10-29-17, 09:58 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the GS, but still.....
Old 10-29-17, 10:02 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusbaha
These are great and beyond friends. I have studied closely.... 2018 New Lexus LS

2018 LS front driver seat upgrade option, $4000 - "Kurosu haisentachi" hand crafted, 6 coat hand painted seat upgrade!
Attached Thumbnails 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!-seat.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!