LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

anyone have rattles after Akebono front pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-16, 03:51 PM
Hanna
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone have rattles after Akebono front pads

I am trying to determine where the front end clunking noise is coming from...
I think its either the brakes or the connecting Arms; I think it started after going with Akebono... cant be certain since I don't drive the car regularly and she hasn't ben complaining until the sound started getting worse. the noise occurs at slight braking or going over bumps. as soon as you hit the brakes you hear a clunk- metal hitting metal kind of sound. I am thinking the brake pads are lose fit and/or the anti-rattle hardware is not doing the job for some reason.

for reference....
INCREDIBLY ANNOYING RATTLE FROM FORNT END
what surprising me in this Thread is the dealer misdiagnosis... in post #12 the dealer determined it was the inner tie rod and went ahead replaced the entire steering rack assembly. but then post #15 the OP is pulling hair because that didn't fix issue and now the dealer wants to replace the front left strut and the control arms. wow .. there goes that dealers reputations.... but the OP never came back to tell us what the final fix was.
Old 12-15-16, 02:54 AM
ranberndt
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem on my 2011 ls460L.
I put BOTH anti rattle clips on the caliper. It usually only has one. I also bent the clip to put more tension on the pad.

this knocked the noise down by 50%....3 months later..the brake dust and grime has stopped the rattle completely.

It is just that the Akebono pads are a shade too small..just enough to rattle.

the pads are great. not as grabby as stock.
Old 12-15-16, 04:24 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you apply a thick layer of brake grease to the back of all the pads?
Old 12-15-16, 09:20 AM
Hanna
Driver School Candidate

thanks ranberndt... I am close to certain that its the pads tapping against the fixed housing that's causing the clunk sound- although i have not yet taken off the wheels to inspect closer but last night i did stick my hands in there through the wheels and sure enough was able to agitate the pads ever slightly to produce a toned down version of the clicking sound. ( I don't believe the pads should be moving at all - at least not by hand ) what you think?
I probably need to take off the wheels to asses what anti-rattle hardware I have in there and what needs to be tweeked or added. but if there is a good hardware kit out there that you have experience with that will alleviate the rattle then I am all for it. I would hate to replace these nice Akebono brakes which I might add produce almost nill dust.

Last edited by Hanna; 12-15-16 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 05:54 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm on my second set of Akebono pads and have had no such problem. I'm wondering if either you have the correct pads, or if there was improper installation. The pads I have are ACT1282 and ACT 1283 front/rear. Of course that's on my '07, your car may be different.
Old 07-08-17, 09:39 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I'm on my second set of Akebono pads and have had no such problem. I'm wondering if either you have the correct pads, or if there was improper installation. The pads I have are ACT1282 and ACT 1283 front/rear. Of course that's on my '07, your car may be different.
I have the same pads and the same problem. The pads that I have are the correct ones for our 2009.

I did the installation myself, according to the LS service manual and they worked great for about a week, but then they started acting up.

I'm baffled and was wondering if they ever figured it out.
Old 07-09-17, 06:25 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

What exactly do you mean by "acting up" - rattling/clicking?
Old 07-09-17, 03:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

If you didn't replace the hardware (springs and clips and caliper pins), you should. Those trinkets of hardware are cheap and prevent any play. For under twenty bucks, you can do all four corners.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (07-10-17)
Old 07-10-17, 10:07 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sktn77a
What exactly do you mean by "acting up" - rattling/clicking?
When going over small, sharp bumps, the front end makes a hollow, clicking sound like something is loose.

When I installed the pads, they went in tightly, with the shims, but still click. Maybe I need to buy new shims and springs and hopefully that will solve the problem.

My Wife told me to just set up an appointment at the dealer for an inspection service, but being a cheap, stubborn Guy, I want to fix it myself. Besides, if it's shims and springs, what the dealer would charger for an inspection would be more than the parts would cost to do it myself, but a Happy Wife is a Happy life (just between you and me though, I'm going to try and fix it myself ).
Old 07-10-17, 02:17 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
My Wife told me to just set up an appointment at the dealer for an inspection service, but being a cheap, stubborn Guy, I want to fix it myself.........(just between you and me though, I'm going to try and fix it myself ).
I think I speak for most of us when I say "atta boy, good for you"!

BTW, what hospital do we send the flowers?
Old 07-16-17, 02:57 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I think I speak for most of us when I say "atta boy, good for you"!

BTW, what hospital do we send the flowers?
LOL.....................

Thanks for the encouragement! I Appreciate it!

A little update: I ordered the Centric hardware kit from Rockauto and installed it yesterday. Then I took her out for a ride and the problem is solved. It was missing one inner brake pad spring on each side, so I installed them both, cleaned, regreased the backs (where Lexus says to grease them), put them in and the problem went away.

So, for less than $12 shipped (I had a discount code), the problem is fixed. I'm glad that it was so simple.

I have to say Thanks to all who have posted up information here about the brakes! It was extremely helpful!
Old 07-16-17, 08:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by FreddyG
LOL.....................

Thanks for the encouragement! I Appreciate it!

A little update: I ordered the Centric hardware kit from Rockauto and installed it yesterday. Then I took her out for a ride and the problem is solved. It was missing one inner brake pad spring on each side, so I installed them both, cleaned, regreased the backs (where Lexus says to grease them), put them in and the problem went away.

So, for less than $12 shipped (I had a discount code), the problem is fixed. I'm glad that it was so simple.

I have to say Thanks to all who have posted up information here about the brakes! It was extremely helpful!
Glad you sorted it out. I strongly encourage anyone doing a brake job on our LS's, to replace the hardware. Inexpensive, easy and ensures everything is tucked in and tight.
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (07-17-17)
Old 07-20-17, 12:14 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the same pads and same issue. Glad you found a resolution. I will look into it.
Old 07-20-17, 01:30 PM
happyhood
Driver School Candidate

when i read the title and main post i thought of how mine was.

mine were missing those hardware kits. How i figure it out because I had to do the brakes (brake sensor went on) and bought the whole centric brake kit (pads and rotors), had all these pins and such. upon removing the old stuff i was like WTF it's only the pads and main pins. what a difference it made, thought i had bad links to peacefulness.

not sure if this helps anyone but the best prices i found so far is buybrakes.com
Old 07-21-17, 09:33 AM
FreddyG
Intermediate

The Wagner ceramics from Advance Auto, Pepboys, Rock Auto, wherever, come with a new Centric hardware kit and I've heard that they have the same attributes as the Akebono pads at a cheaper cost.

Just some food for thought.

I've found this place to have the best pricing on Akebono brake pads and they have free shipping:

http://www.placeforbrakes.com/produc...r=2009&avail=1

Last edited by FreddyG; 07-21-17 at 09:37 AM.

Quick Reply: anyone have rattles after Akebono front pads