LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Am considering 07 LS with 187,000K

Old 12-14-16, 12:22 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Am considering 07 LS with 187,000K

Being sold by a Lexus dealership in the south (southern car)
Its got a good price, not amazing, but fair. I'm really considering buying it but I've never bought any Lexus w/this many miles (esp 1st year out)

CarFax is clean and doesn't seem to have been a problem child.

My daughter drives an RXh and I've had a GS in past, so I know the brand but this one being so sophisticated (even for today) gives me a cause to pause.
Would you pull the trigger and take the chance? Thx ahead
Old 12-14-16, 12:26 PM
tofu
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This car could go 400K miles...
The following users liked this post:
DixieLex (12-14-16)
Old 12-14-16, 01:10 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

As long as it has a comprehensive service history and the price is right go for it.
DixieLex (12-14-16)
Old 12-14-16, 01:32 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Even though it is a Lexus and it could potentially go for 300k miles, how long are you looking to keep it and are you prepared to put some money into it once things begin to go wrong, because at that mileage point, things will begin to fail.
At the same time, the things that could fail are often things that are either easy to remedy via DIY or by a trusted indy mechanic, and aftermarket parts can be easily sourced.
I'd say as long as the price is very right (given the mileage-LS or not) and you are aware of the maintenance records-what has been addressed and when versus what needs to be addressed, and you have some $$ put away for said repairs, then go for it.
But I don't think you should go into this purchase thinking that just because it is a flagship Lexus, it will, or should I say "should" perform near flawlessly, and begin to get upset when things need to be repaired, as it is a 10 year old vehicle with nearly 200k miles on it.
Just my 2 pennies...
Either way, good luck with your decision.
DixieLex (12-14-16)
Old 12-14-16, 02:02 PM
Gunnin4Em
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LS is a very nice car. Like the guys said previously, the car will last for a very long time, as long as you perform the necessarily maintenance on the vehicle.

It is an 07, so if you ever plan on trading it in and purchasing a newer vehicle in the future, just be aware that you might not be able to command that much trade value for the car.
DixieLex (12-15-16)
Old 12-14-16, 02:18 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Without knowing what the price is it's hard to say if this is something you should go for. I don't think I'd pay anything more than $8,500 for it. And at that price point when the occasional thing breaks it's not a big deal, but if you're paying $12,000 plus? Forget it.
DixieLex (12-15-16)
Old 12-14-16, 04:01 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe if the price is low, a decent service history and it looks immaculate and well cared for. A high mileage LS, almost 9 yrs old, plus parts (expensive) do break and fail. Personally I would buy one with a lot less miles and newer.
DixieLex (12-15-16)
Old 12-14-16, 04:07 PM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Default Its 13K

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Without knowing what the price is it's hard to say if this is something you should go for. I don't think I'd pay anything more than $8,500 for it. And at that price point when the occasional thing breaks it's not a big deal, but if you're paying $12,000 plus? Forget it.
L version w/Exec. pkg....but I'm seeing your drift
Old 12-14-16, 05:20 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I test drive a 07 with 215k miles back in 2015 (they were asking $16k) and other than some wear on the driver's seat leather, the car drove impeccably smooth. Many of the LS parts were over-engineered thus the only concern you should have is a complete fluid flush (or negotiate that ahead of time) such as coolant (maybe the water pump), spark plugs, brake fluid. I'd actually also get the transmission flushed...assuming you'd have to do that all yourself (I'd budget $600-$700 for all that) the car should be good to go for another 50-75k miles before any significant service.
DixieLex (12-15-16)
Old 12-14-16, 06:49 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

The great thing is you are absolutely assured that those were highway miles. My older brother purchased a circa 93 E Class with over 200,000 miles back when he was the Body Shop Manager at the MB dealer in Knoxville and knew the owner personally and they had that car for almost a decade with no major issues.

I just hope that the price is amazing as that is a ton of miles. Also, I would get agreed value on your car with the insurance company as otherwise, they will probably offer you $6000 in the event the accident is your fault and the chances of finding a similarly well taken care of high mileage LS might not be very good.

In this case, I would absolutely advocate for a PPI. With it being sold by a Lexus dealership, they might do it for either free or a reduced price. That said, in a perfect world, I would take it to a different Lexus dealership that has no financial incentive to preform the PPI should you be lucky enough to live in a city where there are multiple Lexii dealerships.
DixieLex (12-15-16)
Old 12-14-16, 07:06 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

If it is the one in Nashville, I would also get a close look as to how the repair was preformed. While CarFax says "minor repair", the car did need to be towed. FWIW, I purchased a 1 owner Southern 460 with a complete service history from 14 miles until now for $16500 and it literally has 100,000 less miles than the one you are considering.

Also, not sure if they still have it, but until the LS I found turned up on AutoTrader, (was the first guy to call thank goodness and we made a deal then and there as he literally had dozens of offers after folks saw the service history) and so forth, but a Hyundai dealer in Atlanta had a I think white colored 460 with around 65,000 miles wth a lengthy Lexus service history and no reported wrecks for I think $17,xxx.

While not making light of $3-$4000, when you can literally have 100,000 less miles, it is hard not to consider it a perhaps proactive decision. Either way, best of luck in your search!
Best,
JQ
DixieLex (12-15-16)
Old 12-15-16, 05:47 AM
DixieLex
Pole Position

Thx guys, I'm prolly NOT gonna buy this. No its not a 7 series but I'm gonna go gun shy on this unless there's a significant price drop.
Old 12-15-16, 08:20 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Your call. Again, without a price it's hard to comment. As for mileage, I personally wouldn't shy away. Worst case scenario, control arms, and air suspension are the big ticket items, but even then, those could be replaced for under 2k dollars. Never heard of an engine or trans failure yet on these cars, regardless of mileage.
Old 12-15-16, 08:24 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DixieLex
Thx guys, I'm prolly NOT gonna buy this. No its not a 7 series but I'm gonna go gun shy on this unless there's a significant price drop.
The accident more than the mileage is what raises red flags for me. That said, Lexus dealers (and mainline dealers in general) are pretty picky about what they keep on their lot as opposed to what goes to auction and or independent car lots (that said majority of those guys buy their inventory from auto auctions)

If you could get up to around $15-$17000, if you look around closely, you should be able to find a sub 100,000 LS460 with a good service history. In which case, you would be getting a car that is amazingly still in production (albeit the grill certainly makes them look different; not sure for the best), that aside from the aforementioned issues can easily go well past 200,000 miles without it being unreasonable to believe it will go 300,000 with proper maintenance and not flogging the crap out of it. All the while providing quite respectable mileage, and to a non car person a 2007-2009 460 could easily pass for a current car if that is important to you.

I know the 430 seems to be the gold standard amongst many when it comes to trouble free ownership. I truly had as nice of an LS430 (2005 Ultra Luxury with 93,000 miles) as is truly possible with a perfect dealer service history, no prior accidents, Southern owned, et al and even before the accident, I wanted out. I even briefly listed it for sale here.

And it was trouble free and yet in spite of having 3 of 4 air shocks replaced within 15,000 miles, I just was not a fan of the way it drove. It honestly seemed to ride better in Sport Mode which shocked me and body roll was certainly there. That said, living in East Tennessee, the area is simply lousy with great driving roads and elevation change. The Tail of the Dragon which is considered one of the finest driving roads in the US is 55 miles away to give you an idea. To say it was an adjustment going from 20 years of living on the East Coast back to Knoxville is a gross understatement. Especially as when I moved here I had a Lexus LX470 with BFG AT KO2's, running board were replaced with sliders and more. It is one thing to go 6-7 times a year to the mountains to living somewhere comparatively mountainous is a huge change.

While many disagree, I am quite pleased with the driving dynamics of my 460. Remember, unlike the 430, traction control can be completely disengaged. Needless to say, this can be a mixed blessing that said, for being a luxury car it does great in the curves and I can only imagine what it would be like with something like Michelin's Pilot Sport 2's.

I suppose more than anything, I am saying extend your budget and get a sub 120,000 mile example with no holes in the service history and no major accidents, The additional outlay will most likely pay for itself in being less prone to needing preventative replacement to ensure reliability. Unless, of course, the high mileage example has had a laundry list of major parts replaced.

Last edited by Junglequac; 12-15-16 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Wrote "the accident more than the wreck" as opposed to mileage
Old 12-15-16, 10:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Your call. Again, without a price it's hard to comment. As for mileage, I personally wouldn't shy away. Worst case scenario, control arms, and air suspension are the big ticket items, but even then, those could be replaced for under 2k dollars. Never heard of an engine or trans failure yet on these cars, regardless of mileage.
I believe the OP said it was $13K (titled the entry within the thread), Exec pckg.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Am considering 07 LS with 187,000K