LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone using an oil catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 01:47 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Anyone using an oil catch can?

I removed my air snorkels to install a serpentine belt last month and I noticed the two tubes that attach on top of the air snorkels had oil in them, as well as the throttle body. I wiped everything out, but I imagine some oil is escaping in the PCV valve system and being dumped into the intake manifold. Luckily it's not a true direct injection vehicle or there would be no port injectors to spray on the intake valves (cleaning them). But I am starting to wonder if anyone has installed a catch can on one of these cars. The PCV valve is under the manifold and hard to get to (2.5 hours labor). I looked online and I found one that supposedly fits our car on EBay, but it doesn't look all that promising...looks more like a universal setup.

Also has anyone ever Seafoamed their car? I haven't tried it on the LS460, but that might be an alternative to installing a catch can. But I imagine I'm losing maybe a half a quart into that throttle body in 5,000 miles. I don't like the thought of that sitting in my intake manifold and heading into my cylinders. I've talked to some people and they swear by the catch can....I've talked to others and they say they wouldn't bother, that a little oil isn't doing any harm.

I didn't take a picture but it looks like this...

Old 12-07-16, 06:13 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

I have a catch can installed on my Dodge Charger SRT (HEMI motor) and it works well...... No oil in my manifold and the can catches all vapors keeping the intake system clean. I have worked on other HEMI's that did not have a CC installed and the manifold was filthy.
I have not seen any LS owners installing them but it does make sense to install one...... Cost should be less than $200 and it should be easy to install. The problem with a catch can is finding a good location for installing it due to the accessibility of having to empty the can every 4000-5000 miles.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 12-08-16 at 09:56 AM.
Old 12-08-16, 01:19 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Luckily it's not a true direct injection vehicle...
Ahhhhhhh, but it is a true direct injection engine (D4S). It has 2 injectors per cylinder. It has a direct injector & and port injector. The direct injectors access the cylinder from the top inside of the cylinder, between the V's, up under the intake manifold.

As I understand, the direct injectors inject continuously (for every intake stroke). But the port injectors only activate at some heavy throttle / rpm threshold.

Jason Oliver
The following users liked this post:
damon (03-14-18)
Old 12-08-16, 04:11 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Ahhhhhhh, but it is a true direct injection engine (D4S). It has 2 injectors per cylinder. It has a direct injector & and port injector. The direct injectors access the cylinder from the top inside of the cylinder, between the V's, up under the intake manifold.

As I understand, the direct injectors inject continuously (for every intake stroke). But the port injectors only activate at some heavy throttle / rpm threshold.

Jason Oliver
Interesting, I didn't realize the direct injection portion of the fuel system was always activated.
Old 12-11-16, 03:36 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

WOW! When I saw this topic, I thought it would be an interesting thing to talk about with plenty of replies (positive&negative) so I assume nobody has installed a Catch Can on their LS.
Over on most of the "Muscle Car forums" almost everybody installs a catch can as a first modification.
Old 02-23-18, 08:00 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 204 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm just reviving this topic because I just watched this video, which explains the various injection systems very clearly.

So, from Jason's post (above), I see that we have the DI/PI combination, which is definitely better than DI only. I guess the solution in this case is to floor the car every so often to activate those port injectors

I found this topic while searching to see if anyone had installed a catch can on their 460. It was a very common thing on the Cadillac forums, but the CTS engines are DI-only, so a catch can makes sense there.
Chaos236 (02-20-20)
Old 02-23-18, 08:09 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Those poor suckers with an IS250 (er... like me) have had some real problems with their DI-only engines. Lexus rebuilt my engine once already but it's a repair, not a fix - it will happen again!
Old 02-23-18, 09:06 AM
fb182
Rookie

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
I'm just reviving this topic because I just watched this video, which explains the various injection systems very clearly.

So, from Jason's post (above), I see that we have the DI/PI combination, which is definitely better than DI only. I guess the solution in this case is to floor the car every so often to activate those port injectors

I found this topic while searching to see if anyone had installed a catch can on their 460. It was a very common thing on the Cadillac forums, but the CTS engines are DI-only, so a catch can makes sense there.
Relevant link:
http://wardsauto.com/technology/toyo...feature-tacoma

I also found this old thread on the same topic:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-460-a.html

It would be nice to get a copy of the the tech document to understand exactly how the D4S functions in the LS.
Dave144239 (02-23-18)
Old 03-01-18, 06:44 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises

Jason Oliver

This will help too.

​​​​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by johnnyg66:
Chaos236 (02-20-20), Dave144239 (03-01-18)
Old 03-13-18, 09:06 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Well unfortunately I've been usuinquite a bit of oil lately and took a look inside my intake - quite a bit of oil has been escaping past my pcv system into the manifold, filling it up.

I'm seriously considering installing a catch can to keep the engine from having to ignite all that oil (seen too many problems because of this...EGR, valves, misfires, bad cats, failed 02 sensors). So if there's anyone that has done this feel free to chime in.

I think the pcv valve is buried under the intake but there appears to be a hose that comes from it that goes right into the front of the intake to the upper right of the throttle body. I imagine I can disconnect that hose and splice a catch can in right there??
Old 03-13-18, 09:07 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

<div style="text-align:left;">Well unfortunately I've been using quite a bit of oil lately and took a look inside my intake - quite a bit of oil has been escaping past my pcv system into the manifold, filling it up.<br /><br />I'm seriously considering installing a catch can to keep the engine from having to ignite all that oil (seen too many problems because of this...EGR, valves, misfires, bad cats, failed 02 sensors). So if there's anyone that has done this feel free to chime in.<br /><br />I think the pcv valve is buried under the intake but there appears to be a hose that comes from it that goes right into the front of the intake to the upper right of the throttle body. I imagine I can disconnect that hose and splice a catch can in right there??</div>
Old 06-18-18, 06:40 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How do you install a catch can? Do we need just one or two for this V8 engine? I know nothing about it.

Here's what I found:

aliexpress, you can pick them up for less than $30

Ebay catch can

Cusco catch can

expensive greddy catch can

what one is good? I imagine this would be installed in the same line going into PCV filter?

Last edited by diamente; 06-18-18 at 07:10 AM.
Old 06-18-18, 02:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by diamente
How do you install a catch can? Do we need just one or two for this V8 engine? I know nothing about it.

Here's what I found:

aliexpress, you can pick them up for less than $30

Ebay catch can

Cusco catch can

expensive greddy catch can

what one is good? I imagine this would be installed in the same line going into PCV filter?
I think you'd need only one. You'd have to splice it in off of the PCV valve hose, and the PCV is very hard to get to. But the hose coming from the PCV valve is to the right of the throttle body, heading to the intake. I think you can tie into it there.
Old 06-18-18, 04:31 PM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase

I think you'd need only one. You'd have to splice it in off of the PCV valve hose, and the PCV is very hard to get to. But the hose coming from the PCV valve is to the right of the throttle body, heading to the intake. I think you can tie into it there.
I was just talking to a racing shop- Erick's racing at Baldwin Park. He said you don't need it unless you are driving a high boost engine in a racing car. Regular vehicles don't need it. Even for racing cars, not all racing cars need it. I asked him if you put it in line with PCV filter. He said no. You install it with valve cover, or something like that. He said the oil catch can doesn't keep the engine clean.

I think he's wrong. On my 4 cylinder camry, I can see the PVC gets gunked up after a while. I spent $125 for MotorVac carbon clean on my 190K miles Camry. The brought the car back to life. If I had a catch can, I don't think I would ever need the carbon cleaning done. I would still put fuel system clean like BG44K or seafoam in gas tank however.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Oil-Catch-Can-DIY/

I am going to do some research. Catch cans are cheap on ebay and aliexpress.
Old 06-21-18, 07:33 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

Believe this is high beneficial in all cars.

I’m looking at installing one but haven’t found a placement for it.

Look at Radium Engineering or ADD W1 catch cans. You can also look at Air oil separator which is a better system but I doubt put engine bay will have space for it.

Quick Reply: Anyone using an oil catch can?