LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone using an oil catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-18, 04:10 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

The RR racing oil separator is a popular mod on the 5L F motor. It also has the two hoses feeding into intake. Anyone know if it will work?
Old 09-01-18, 07:19 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here is a youtube video. it's an very easy installation. Put it in place of PCV valve. See it from Minute 3:40. That racing shop in Baldwin Park didn't know what he is talking about. The part is about $30 or so. really tempted to put it on. Scotty Klimer says Toyota runs engine clean so they don't need it. I am still finding some residue on PCV valve and wanting to keep engine intake clean. My PCV valve gunks up after a while.
Old 09-01-18, 03:08 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

I think all cars need them. Problem is we have limited space in our engine bay. I’m still trying to figure this out myself on how to route hoses and making a custom bracket for the can. Putting it in a serviceable position is also a huge consideration
Old 02-11-20, 02:26 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
I think all cars need them. Problem is we have limited space in our engine bay. I’m still trying to figure this out myself on how to route hoses and making a custom bracket for the can. Putting it in a serviceable position is also a huge consideration
Same as you . I am looking for a place to mount it . I like the RR-racing catch can but the airbox is in the way . When i cleaned my intake manifold it was filled with oil ,the performance is affected since the unburned oil could clog the catalyst converter . I am happy to give to a go-fundme like campaign to make one .
Old 02-11-20, 03:21 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 67 Posts

There are two hoses feeding back into the throttle body which confuses me. I want to capture it there if it is a return from the PCV. I think someone else did this but ran into some a problem with the engine throwing codes. It might be the idle air hoses and not PCV return.

im still trying to find a way to gut my air compressor without the system throwing codes haha.
Old 02-11-20, 03:29 PM
ALK
Advanced

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by 3GSShoe
There are two hoses feeding back into the throttle body which confuses me. I want to capture it there if it is a return from the PCV. I think someone else did this but ran into some a problem with the engine throwing codes. It might be the idle air hoses and not PCV return.

im still trying to find a way to gut my air compressor without the system throwing codes haha.
Well if you remove The pcv input from the throttle body that could throw codes .

This is the pcv input to the throttle body. The middle hose is for fuel vacuum.

Old 02-19-20, 05:55 PM
fooldall1
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think the engineers from Toyota anticipated this, at least I hope so- won't it just serve as an Upper Cylinder Lubricant and keep the rings and seals in good shape? Lucas is essentially like an oil- right? Obviously cleaner burning, but still. Maybe this is why they recommend synthetic oil only? Eventually, the oil gets vacuumed back into the pump and recycled- what little atomized particles that get sucked into the intake stroke is most likely negligible in terms of overall oil consumption.

I can't imagine that Toyota left this to chance purposely on their flagship vehicle.At least, I hope not.
Old 02-20-20, 05:20 AM
ausLX
Pit Crew

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

You guys have been talking about this for 4 years now, has anyone done it yet?
Old 02-20-20, 06:24 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by fooldall1
I think the engineers from Toyota anticipated this, at least I hope so- won't it just serve as an Upper Cylinder Lubricant and keep the rings and seals in good shape? Lucas is essentially like an oil- right? Obviously cleaner burning, but still. Maybe this is why they recommend synthetic oil only? Eventually, the oil gets vacuumed back into the pump and recycled- what little atomized particles that get sucked into the intake stroke is most likely negligible in terms of overall oil consumption.

I can't imagine that Toyota left this to chance purposely on their flagship vehicle.At least, I hope not.
Yeah I totally disagree. Toyota, or any manufacturer, didn’t purposely intend to have oil come up through the PCV valve and fill the intake with oil, where it will coke the valves (on direct injection) and fill those cylinders with oil. The walls of the cylinder are already lubricated. They don’t want/need oil going into the cylinder from up top, where it’ll burn and lid with the air fuel mixture. The oil getting past the pcv system is a byproduct of blow by. Worn rings. Oil will track into the intake because of excessive crankcase pressure, caused by a poorly designed engine or worn rings.

Now I realize the LS460 has port injection and direct injection, so there shouldn’t be valve coking...but I know that my intake was very much filled with oil (on a regular basis after I reached 150,000 miles). And I did experience much more oil consumption at that point, compared to previously. I attributed that to my rings wearing as the engine aged.