LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Possible electrical issue: Front Parking/Side Marker light

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-16, 07:44 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Possible electrical issue: Front Parking/Side Marker light

So this past weekend I bit the bullet and removed my front bumper, removed both headlights-which are gigantic btw, and replaced both of the HID ballast.
Not a bad job at all, just took my time.
For those who are familiar with the mod I did last year regarding the parking or "Nike lights", I re-did the mod while the entire headlight was out, wired in the LED's, and mounted the headlights back in place. I was sure to test the lights and all was fine.
The next day, which was this past Monday. I turn on switch on the headlight stalk to the parking/side marker position and the parking lights/side marker lights (amber lights) came on. Within about 10 seconds, they cut off (both at the same time) and would not come back on, ever after turning the switch from OFF then back to the Park Light position.
I drove to work, parked and then tried it again-nothing.
At the end of my work day, BEFORE starting the car, I turned the switch and they worked. I got in, started the car and within 5 seconds, they turned off and wouldn't come back on.
Low beams work fine.
So here is the thing:
I installed these last year and I did not have these issues at all. I removed them due to another reason. Now that I have them in this time around, I am experiencing this issue.
Secondly, I did check the fuses Sunday night but everything seemed to be okay. The lights didn't work before I pulled out checked and reseated a few fuses related to the Park Lights/Side Markers, but after I did so, they came back on and I assumed that fixed the issue, until what I dscibed above happened the next day and still continues to happen.
I haven't checked the fuses since, but im wondering if its even a fuse...
I thought if a fuse was blown, or if they were not wired correctly (which im pretty sure they are), they wouldn't light up at all.
I thought about the possibility of perhaps me pinching a wire while placing the headlight back in place, but would they even work?
Edit:
I forgot to mention that I was told to check for wire polarity, which I will try to do tonight.
Also, earlier this afternoon, I tried it again-turned on the lights before starting the car and they worked. So I got in, started the car and they stayed on for about 5 seconds then they both simultaneously turned off, and when they went of, I heard what sounded like a faint "click". Almost like something is being electrically tripped.

So that my situation/quandary...
Anyone with any feedback or questions feel free to reply, especially those with an electrical background or anyone who has done any mods with the lights on this vehicle.
Thanks a bunch ahead of time!

Last edited by CRowe14; 12-07-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 02:10 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I see no one wanted to attack this one...
Don't blame you!
I just wanted to follow-up with the thread and say that I ended up fixing my issue.
I went back into the area where I did the wiring and found that the negative connection wasn't quite as solid as it could have been.
In a non-powered state, it worked ok, but when ACC power was activated (car turned on), it would pull more power and due to the connection not being sufficient, that circuit would simply shut off.
Once I redid the connection, they work fine now.
Thanks everyone.
Old 12-08-16, 06:01 PM
Shibumi1
Lexus Champion

Received 84 Likes on 60 Posts

ok I've had some time to chew on it.. unfortunately I'll say pull the front bumper and check the pins in the light connectors to make sure none are bent or shorting out.. then with the lights unplugged check to make sure you're getting power to all the proper lights. then one by one plug them back in an test functionality of each bulb as you plug them in.. make sure u have 100% functionality for a few minutes b4 moving on to the next bulb. if u have a multimeter check the voltage at each connection for variances.. call me if u need help.
Old 12-08-16, 10:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Shibumi1
ok I've had some time to chew on it.. unfortunately I'll say pull the front bumper and check the pins in the light connectors to make sure none are bent or shorting out.. then with the lights unplugged check to make sure you're getting power to all the proper lights. then one by one plug them back in an test functionality of each bulb as you plug them in.. make sure u have 100% functionality for a few minutes b4 moving on to the next bulb. if u have a multimeter check the voltage at each connection for variances.. call me if u need help.
Ok...so it appears I will have to take this route, because what I thought fixed the issue, actually didn't.
Its so strange...
I was able to drive about 17 miles with only the Nike/Side maker lights on and they stayed on the whole trip.
Later in the evening, when I turned the car on and all the lights (Lows,Park, Side markers and fogs) they all come on, but about 6 minutes later when I pulled up behind someone at a light, I could see the front end reflection and the Nikes were out again.
Just now I went to my garage and tried the Nikes/Side markers-nothing, but I almost guarantee that tomorrow morning, they will work...
Strangest thing...Boom-I may be calling you!