LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Pad and Rotor Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-17, 09:39 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I recently did a brake job on my wifes Pilot-Centric Premiums and Akebono pads, and like Chris said, the rotors are clearly top notch, very sturdy and love the black rust-proof cap/side veins.
Im sure the results would be the same on an LS, but the difference was immediate once getting in the truck and going for a test drive. Very smooth and very linear.

Chris-just curious...
Was there a reason you didn't chose the Akebono pads?
Im sure the Centrics are excellent pads as well, just wanted to know what made you chose one versus the other.
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 02-02-17, 09:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
roadfrog - Thanks for starting this thread. I have a feeling I'll be going down your path before long. I'm going to follow the requested format, but only have a minor amount to report. Mostly an OEM datapoint here, FWIW.

My vehicle has just a skosh over 30k miles.

Pads: OEM pads remain.

Rotors: OEM rotors remain. When I bought the car with 13,800 miles, the front rotors were horribly warped.

Hardware: OEM hardware remains.

Miles: 30k miles on the car to date.

Vendor: N/A. But had a NAPA store resurface the front rotors with GREAT results.

Comments: The fronts have been resurfaced once. But now I'm picking up a slight tremor again. I'm wondering if it may be the rears. I may pull them soon and have them resurfaced ($20, $10 each). I'll make them last as long as is possible.
See I wonder if I should just have my OEM rotors resurfaced. My mechanic is adamant that it makes no sense to resurface these rotors because they're terrible, 90% of he labor of the brake job is done when you remove the rotors to resurface them and you may as well just do a whole brake job with new better rotors.

If I do the full job with the centric parts I'm in it probably $250 for all the parts and $150 in labor, so $400. But I have pads with 50% or better life I'm throwing away.
Old 02-02-17, 09:49 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Chris-just curious...
Was there a reason you didn't chose the Akebono pads?
Im sure the Centrics are excellent pads as well, just wanted to know what made you chose one versus the other.
Thanks ahead of time.
I almost went Akebono, but I did read a few reviews complaining of noise. The Posi-Quiets were substantially cheaper and carried by Rockauto which I used to buy the rotors. I don't doubt that I would have liked the Akebonos based on the reviews here, but the Posi-Quiets receive equally good reviews.

My mechanic is adamant that it makes no sense to resurface these rotors because they're terrible, 90% of he labor of the brake job is done when you remove the rotors to resurface them and you may as well just do a whole brake job with new better rotors.
This is why I went with replacement. I was tired of warping, and resurfacing would just make the rotor that much thinner and cause warping to return that much sooner. I felt it better to start with a clean slate - especially considering how inexpensive replacement is.
Old 02-02-17, 10:18 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This is why I went with replacement. I was tired of warping, and resurfacing would just make the rotor that much thinner and cause warping to return that much sooner. I felt it better to start with a clean slate - especially considering how inexpensive replacement is.
Agreed. If I were paying to have this work done, I would replace them all. But since I'm doing it myself, my only cost is the resurfacing. $10/each. Since that is so cheap, that's what I chose to have done. But the next time I'm certain that it's the fronts doing it, I will follow Chris's recommendations. But you guys have to realize, the only time I daily my LS is when the weather is nice. And, when it is nice, I drive it like I'm driving Ms. Daisy. I'm very easy on the car. If you drive more aggressively and daily, you're going to want to ditch the OEM rotors at the next warp.
Old 02-02-17, 11:13 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Oliver

If I have read your posts correctly you have had your front rotors turned twice? Or did I miss read that? I never even had them turned once. At 57,xxx miles I threw them in the trash and moved on. They really are so cheap these days that I did not think they were worth turning even once. My 66 year old wife is the one that drives the LS a couple of times a week so it is not like it is being driving hard.

Dennis
Old 02-02-17, 11:56 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Dennis - They've been turned once. Just the fronts. I didn't do the rears. And ... I agree with you. I would just throw them away, if it weren't so cheap. So I tried it, and it worked. They've been fine since then. But I suspect I'm on borrowed time. I'm just starting to feel a hint of vibration coming on. The first 13,800 miles were in Beverly Hills traffic. On TV, it looks like a pleasant, fast paced place to drive. But as I drove away from there, the roads were tight, bumpy, and crowded. It became evident that along with the fact that the OEM rotors leave a lot to be desired, those driving conditions also aided in the premature warp.
Old 02-02-17, 02:21 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts

Oliver

I know you baby your LS as I do but I would bet that you are a hard stop or two away from warping those babies faster than I lost hair after turning 21, which was amazingly fast. Stay safe my friend.

Dennis
Old 02-02-17, 04:43 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Drove around town again today. Sooooo smooth. I drive to work 40 minutes on the highway tomorrow, so I'll follow up with another update. Part of that commute involves a long fairly steep downhill grade, which always accentuated the pulsation.
Old 02-02-17, 06:32 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Drove around town again today. Sooooo smooth. I drive to work 40 minutes on the highway tomorrow, so I'll follow up with another update. Part of that commute involves a long fairly steep downhill grade, which always accentuated the pulsation.
I'd bet the house the braking will very much smooth and linear!
Funny how such an experience like smooth braking when driving your car can bring a smile to ones face...
Just makes driving all that much more enjoyable, especially when it's in an LS!
Old 02-02-17, 08:00 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

So tired of my squealing Brembo sport brakes. First world problems, but pretty embarrassing when I pull into the country club parking lot and my Lexus brakes squeal like a 30 year old dump truck.
The following users liked this post:
lizhekb (11-19-21)
Old 02-02-17, 08:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by teedub21
So tired of my squealing Brembo sport brakes. First world problems, but pretty embarrassing when I pull into the country club parking lot and my Lexus brakes squeal like a 30 year old dump truck.
Yeah...I wouldn't put up with that either. might be "first world problems", but you sure as heck didn't pay third world prices for the car!

Last edited by roadfrog; 02-02-17 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
lizhekb (11-19-21)
Old 02-02-17, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

One are on the way!
Old 02-03-17, 08:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW15LS
One are on the way!
I don't follow....what are you saying?
Old 02-03-17, 08:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Update: Still soooo very smooth. This is the one thing I didn't like about my LS. The grabbing and pulsation. Long downhill grade, heavy braking were all smooth this morning. If this behavior keeps up over time, I will use these rotors and pads for all my cars. Very happy so far, though it is still early.
Old 02-03-17, 10:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't follow....what are you saying?
Typo. Should have read "Mine are on the way!"

Quick Reply: Brake Pad and Rotor Thread