LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unintended acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-18, 09:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Happens to me almost every time I lightly tap the brake to disengage cruise control.
Eddie, this has nothing to do with cruise control.
Old 03-18-18, 01:07 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieP1215
13 SWB F-Sport RWD and I can tell you for a FACT that it's true. Happens to me almost every time I lightly tap the brake to disengage cruise control. It's to the point now where I just disengage from the control stalk because I don't trust the brakes to disengage it. It only happens when I use cruise control. I actually added it to a post I created a few months back when I first got the car. Didn't get much response, probably because it wasn't the main reason I was posting.

So FWIW yes it is a thing and just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's "operator error/pressing brake and accelerator" etc. All these different people who are total strangers and have been driving for YEARS saying the same thing isn't just happenstance. The LS is still a machine and by that, a machine is prone to quirks and gremlins just like an other brand. So if you have a way to help please do, if not, then save the 2 cents because it's a legit issue. Thanks every one for sticking to your guns and speaking on it.
I have the same experience and I think its an F-sport thing. Our brakes are so touchy that they start slowing the car down before the pedal gets to the point where the cruise control disconnects. I'm used to doing like you do, tap the brakes lightly to kick off the cruise, but in this car that just slows briefly and then the cruise accelerates again to get back up to speed once you release the pedal. I've found that I have to get farther into the brakes before the cruise disconnects. Just a quirk of the high friction brembo's on the F-sport.
Old 03-18-18, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Agree with the others, your issue has nothing to do with what we’re talking about
Old 03-18-18, 02:04 PM
2XOWN
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 solutions
uber
or slam car into park not good for tranny but youll stop like you threw
out an anchor
Old 03-18-18, 07:15 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XOWN
I have 2 solutions
uber
or slam car into park not good for tranny but youll stop like you threw
out an anchor

No it wont - putting the car into park at speed will do little.
The tranny will ratchet and make noise - won't slow you down at all.
Old 03-18-18, 09:20 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Years ago my father almost had an accident when barrowing my car, not my Lexus, but he did not realize he was pressing the gas pedal while hitting the brake. One could argue the size and location of the pedals in some vehicles might be more conducive to the problem. I have also never experienced this in any vehicle I have owned over the last 25 years. Big feet and big shoes or boots probably don't help either.
Old 03-19-18, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have also been in the car with an older driver who thought he was putting his foot on the brake but was putting it on the gas, very scary and certainly seems like the car is accelerating by itself.
The following users liked this post:
2008GS (03-27-18)
Old 03-26-18, 06:08 AM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Braking only

Just to set the facts straight! All of my unintended accelerations, including the last while parking in my garage, occurred while braking to a stop (in traffic) ! My foot was totally on the brake, and if not for that, the car would have hit the car in front of me. The placing the car in neutral was to stop the engine from revving and disconnecting from the transmission. The brake held the car from moving and I used all of my force on the brake pedal to hold the vehicle from moving!!!!

Some one out there must have had this same experience!!!

Come forward, it feels good.
Old 03-26-18, 06:13 AM
userflw
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
When you shifted into neutral, what behavior did the car exhibit? Did it continue to rev to the gods or drop back down to idle?
Your not funny and certainly not kind!!

The car returned to idle and my foot was on the brake all this time.
Old 03-26-18, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You thought your foot was on the brake, but it was not. This has been investigated many times by Independent government agencies and in every instance they found that unintended acceleration was caused by driver error. They did an exhaustive investigation into unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus products and determined that there was no issue or failure.

If your foot foot was firmly on the brake even at full throttle your car would not move. Try it. Go into an empty parking lot, put your left foot all the way on the brake and give it full throttle. It won’t go anywhere.

The most powerful thing on any car are the brakes. The engine is less powerful than the brakes.
2008GS (03-27-18)
Old 03-26-18, 06:15 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by userflw

Well, my wife's mother had this happen to her once. Luckily, only hit a drive-through pedestal. We took her keys away shortly thereafter.
Old 03-26-18, 07:48 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You thought your foot was on the brake, but it was not. This has been investigated many times by Independent government agencies and in every instance they found that unintended acceleration was caused by driver error. They did an exhaustive investigation into unintended acceleration in Toyota and Lexus products and determined that there was no issue or failure.

If your foot foot was firmly on the brake even at full throttle your car would not move. Try it. Go into an empty parking lot, put your left foot all the way on the brake and give it full throttle. It won’t go anywhere.

The most powerful thing on any car are the brakes. The engine is less powerful than the brakes.

Apparently their brakes are not strong enough, The dealer should advise them to upgrade to F Sport Brembo brakes for several thousand dollars just to be extra safe or trade their car for something newer
2008GS (03-27-18)
Old 03-26-18, 09:42 AM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Just to set the facts straight! All of my unintended accelerations, including the last while parking in my garage, occurred while braking to a stop (in traffic) ! My foot was totally on the brake, and if not for that, the car would have hit the car in front of me. The placing the car in neutral was to stop the engine from revving and disconnecting from the transmission. The brake held the car from moving and I used all of my force on the brake pedal to hold the vehicle from moving!!!!

I don't think we know how else to tell you, its you. Every instance of unintended acceleration, throughout the years and many studies, has been found to be driver error. We fully realize that you thought you were only hitting the brakes, no one purposefully hits the gas, that's why it is unintended (but not uncommanded).
2008GS (03-27-18)
Old 03-27-18, 12:26 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you do some research into unintended acceleration claims across all manufacturers you'll find that all of them have been linked back to operator error in one way or another. I've actually been in a car where the driver when backing up unintentionally slammed the accelerator instead of the gas. Scary to be sure and he also did not immediately realize what he had done.

After the whole Toyota accelerator fiasco numerous magazines tested to see if the driver applied the brake when accelerating at full throttle what would happen. What happened was the car stopped, the accelerator could not over power the cars brakes. People who have this issue often say they apply the brake fully, well it's been proven that had they done that the car would stop even with the throttle at WOT. So, the logical result is that while they thought they were full on the brakes, they were actually full on the gas.

Having been around the block a few times, I have come to understand the core issues with "unintended acceleration" It has been proven that the issues were indeed driver error, NOT electrical error. Lexus and Toyota have NOT been the first manufacturers to defend the "unintended acceleration" storm. AUDI nearly went bankrupt in the late 80s by the same claims. It has been proven that the pedal placement may have been too closely spaced and drivers were pressing the accelerator instead of the brake. The term became known as "pedal misapplication". So you could argue it was a bad design that caused the CONFUSION. In Lexus' cases, it was determined to be the floor mats sliding under the "drive-by-wire" accelerator pedals. The "drive-by-wire" pedal is very sensitive to position, angle, etc.

Here were the findings of the Toyota investigation: On February 8, 2011, the NHTSA, in collaboration with NASA, released its findings into the investigation on the Toyota drive-by-wire throttle system. After a 10-month search, NASA and NHTSA scientists found no electronic defect in Toyota vehicles. Driver error or pedal misapplication was found responsible for most of the incidents. The report ended stating, "Our conclusion is Toyota's problems were mechanical, not electrical." This included sticking accelerator pedals, and pedals caught under floor mats.

So in summary, the cars do not electrically accelerate by themselves.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...ehicle_recalls
Old 03-27-18, 12:29 PM
2008GS
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Good reading for you can be found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009%E...ehicle_recalls

Quick Reply: Unintended acceleration