LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Unintended acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-18, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

With your foot on the brake and on the gas full throttle the car will not move, it cannot overdrive the brakes.

You thought your foot was on the brake and it was on the gas.
Old 03-15-18, 08:47 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by userflw
After three unintended acceleration events, corporate had a "super tech" check the car at the dealer. And what did he find? Nothing wrong with the vehicle. All of this within a six month span.
After a seven month period of no events, I was parking the car in my garage and as I was coming to full stop, the car suddenly accelerated. Fortunately I stopped by putting car in neutral ! I am positive that my foot was not on both the brake and accelerator.
No one at Lexus has admitted to me that others have the same complaint, but there is something wrong with this all electronic car. I hope there is no serious accident caused by this phantom!

More owners with the problem should come forward and not think it is an isolated incident. I at first thought so, but continued events told me otherwise. Your not crazy or otherwise as the "dealer" will have you think!

All of you out there who believe it is operator error with have a change of mind when it happens to you.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
With your foot on the brake and on the gas full throttle the car will not move, it cannot overdrive the brakes.

You thought your foot was on the brake and it was on the gas.
I usually think it is a case of mistaken pedal too. However, the way userflw describes it, they were slowly entering their garage. This suggests their foot is correctly on the brake pedal to begin with. Also, useflw said they shifted into Neutral. Since I haven't tried it yet, does Neutral require the brake pedal to be depressed (and proving the foot was on the correct pedal)? Is the LS drive-by-wire and brake-by-wire too? If it is all electronically controlled then I can see the possibility of the computer sending the wrong electrical signal to the brake actuators (or the brake actuators are failing) and not stop the car as normal. Then again, it doesn't really explain unintended acceleration since the car would basically coast with faulty brake signals and not really gain speed (unless going downhill). Plus, I thought the drive-by-wire systems have a fail-safe built in so that the gas and brake pedal can't both be applied at the same time, and doing so would result in braking only. I wonder though how the system performs if various pedal sensors are reporting incorrect input or position. Since you've had repeated experiences with this, userflw, I would suggest installing some dashcams to record your speedo and pedals at all times. If it was me though, I would be too paranoid to drive the car if it kept happening. Just doesn't seem safe to take the risk each day.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 03-15-18 at 08:52 PM.
Old 03-15-18, 08:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

No, you can shift to neutral anytime, no brake by wire.

This is has NEVER been shown to be a problem with any vehicle they have ever investigated for unintended acceleration.

Try it in your car, put your left foot on the brake and floor the accelerator, you won’t go anywhere.
Old 03-15-18, 09:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

What Steve says is correct. No brake by wire and there is NO way the accelerator can overpower the brakes. Thats not unique to the LS.
Old 03-15-18, 10:10 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by userflw
After three unintended acceleration events, corporate had a "super tech" check the car at the dealer. And what did he find? Nothing wrong with the vehicle. All of this within a six month span.
After a seven month period of no events, I was parking the car in my garage and as I was coming to full stop, the car suddenly accelerated. Fortunately I stopped by putting car in neutral ! I am positive that my foot was not on both the brake and accelerator.
No one at Lexus has admitted to me that others have the same complaint, but there is something wrong with this all electronic car. I hope there is no serious accident caused by this phantom!

More owners with the problem should come forward and not think it is an isolated incident. I at first thought so, but continued events told me otherwise. Your not crazy or otherwise as the "dealer" will have you think!

All of you out there who believe it is operator error with have a change of mind when it happens to you.
When you shifted into neutral, what behavior did the car exhibit? Did it continue to rev to the gods or drop back down to idle?
Old 03-16-18, 01:11 AM
mosysav
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, you can shift to neutral anytime, no brake by wire.

This is has NEVER been shown to be a problem with any vehicle they have ever investigated for unintended acceleration.

Try it in your car, put your left foot on the brake and floor the accelerator, you won’t go anywhere.
The Lexus LS460 is brake by wire.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electr...ntrolled_brake
Old 03-16-18, 01:39 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Keep your foot off the accelerator - thus - no acceleration.

Last edited by xfea; 03-16-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 01:42 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lexier
I hear what you are saying, and no offense taken. I would like to say that the newer LS460's have a feature called "Brake Over Ride System" which allows the brakes to over ride any acceleration due to pressing the gas pedal at the same time. However my 2008 does not have this feature. Also after driving the car for 8 years, I'm 99.99% sure that I was not pressing on the gas pedal at the same time while braking. Corporate Lexus has requested that I drop it off to my local Lexus dealership, so they can do some tests. We will see what the out come is. Thanks to all for your input.

"Brake Over Ride System"???

WTF - How come I didn't check that on the options list when I bought my new LX!?

Here is Al Unser on the subject.....

Looks like Audi and all the others had the "Brake Over Ride System" as standard equipment..... :-)

So what happened to the guy whose wife ran off the road and he blames LEXUS for "complete brake failure?"

Oh - here it is ---"CLOSED"

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...failure-2.html

I guess it got a bit TOO FUNNY...

Last edited by xfea; 03-16-18 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-16-18, 03:51 PM
Shad034
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Are we feeding a troll here? I can't believe this is a thing still. Unintended acceleration, defined as "I didnt tell the car to do that" is BS. its operator error in either action or lack of precaution.

Unintended acceleration defined as "I didn't realize I told the car to do that" or "I didn't realize that my kids toy/floormat/big gulp was in the way of the pedal"" or "I just screwed up and need to blame something other than myself" does exist.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shad034:
kingbabu (03-29-18), mckellyb (03-17-18), roadfrog (03-16-18)
Old 03-16-18, 05:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shad034
Are we feeding a troll here? I can't believe this is a thing still. Unintended acceleration, defined as "I didnt tell the car to do that" is BS. its operator error in either action or lack of precaution.

Unintended acceleration defined as "I didn't realize I told the car to do that" or "I didn't realize that my kids toy/floormat/big gulp was in the way of the pedal"" or "I just screwed up and need to blame something other than myself" does exist.
So true. I guess we're just trying to be diplomatic. Lol.
Old 03-17-18, 12:52 PM
xfea
Intermediate

Dang - I feel used...
Old 03-17-18, 01:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by xfea
Dang - I feel used...
Huh? Why???????
Old 03-17-18, 07:22 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

13 SWB F-Sport RWD and I can tell you for a FACT that it's true. Happens to me almost every time I lightly tap the brake to disengage cruise control. It's to the point now where I just disengage from the control stalk because I don't trust the brakes to disengage it. It only happens when I use cruise control. I actually added it to a post I created a few months back when I first got the car. Didn't get much response, probably because it wasn't the main reason I was posting.

So FWIW yes it is a thing and just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it's "operator error/pressing brake and accelerator" etc. All these different people who are total strangers and have been driving for YEARS saying the same thing isn't just happenstance. The LS is still a machine and by that, a machine is prone to quirks and gremlins just like an other brand. So if you have a way to help please do, if not, then save the 2 cents because it's a legit issue. Thanks every one for sticking to your guns and speaking on it.
Old 03-17-18, 07:56 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Eddie, you are really talking about a different situation from unintended acceleration. In your case applying the brake is not disengaging the throttle, it is not increasing the throttle to further accelerate the car. I would think your problem would be covered under warranty.
Old 03-17-18, 08:02 PM
EddieP1215
Driver

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Thanks so much!! I appreciate that. That's why forums are so valuable. Now I have a pinpointed area. Thanks again .

Quick Reply: Unintended acceleration