LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bad brake actuator - Lexus says they won't replace under warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 07:35 AM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Bad brake actuator - Lexus says they won't replace under warranty?

I purchased a 2007 LS460L that I knew had a bad brake actuator (service history diagnosed 5k ago) with the (flawed?) understanding it would likely be replaced under warranty. I brought it in to Lexus today and they're telling me the actuator is bad with a $4k estimate to replace. According to the person I'm working with, the warranty won't cover the bad actuator unless I'm seeing warning lights from the actuator (or stored error codes in the ECU). Does this sound correct to you all? Advice?
Old 10-10-16, 07:47 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as I'm aware no warning lights have to be on. If they've diagnosed it as a bad brake actuator it should be covered.
Check here for further details: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9631036
Old 10-11-16, 01:31 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think most dealers are requiring the warning lights to be on... some may have replaced under warranty without. Contact Lexus Corporate with your situation
Old 10-11-16, 07:13 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

email corporate and have your service advisor in on the email.

there was some other owner who successfully had the actuator replaced without having the warning lights go off.

if you have paperwork documentation of the service advisor advising that its needs to be replaced then more power to you. let us know how it goes.

Originally Posted by rehr0001
I purchased a 2007 LS460L that I knew had a bad brake actuator (service history diagnosed 5k ago) with the (flawed?) understanding it would likely be replaced under warranty. I brought it in to Lexus today and they're telling me the actuator is bad with a $4k estimate to replace. According to the person I'm working with, the warranty won't cover the bad actuator unless I'm seeing warning lights from the actuator (or stored error codes in the ECU). Does this sound correct to you all? Advice?
Old 10-12-16, 09:11 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

car is ten years old. did you get an extended warranty on it? id be surprised if they replaced it on a ten year old car....
Old 10-12-16, 11:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
car is ten years old. did you get an extended warranty on it? id be surprised if they replaced it on a ten year old car....
----> https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9631036
Old 10-13-16, 04:27 PM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Get it replaced FREE = 47
Old 10-17-16, 05:30 PM
rehr0001
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Unfortunately it is a no go for me, not sure what else I have for options. I called, they started a case, talked to the dealer and the regional office. Both said the warranty would only cover replacement if the lights described in the warranty enhancement come on. I'm guessing that will happen eventually .... My '07 wasn't put into service until Feb of 09 so I'm covered until Feb 19 for replacement if/when the lights come on ........
Old 10-18-16, 06:02 AM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Warning lights can be triggered to come on for different reasons.
Per the dealer I went to they said there are different reasons why the ABS etc lights can come on.. and so they wouldn't agree to anything until they did a diagnostic. (They even suggested to me that the brake failure might be restored when they simply reset the warning lights/system, however that didn't happen.)
My lights all came on and the failure of the ABS etc happened in conjunction with a corroded battery post and battery failure.... which triggered the lights, failed the brakes, and prompted me to go get it addressed, and (fight for them to) replace the actuator per the warranty enhancement.
*** I'm actually very grateful the battery failure occurred, otherwise maybe my warning lights wouldn't have come on during the warranty enhancement period. (I tried replacing the battery before going to the Dealer thinking that would restore the warning lights and brakes but it didn't - again, thankfully otherwise I might not have been able to get the repair made).
See this
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...t9631036"

Last edited by sddsdd; 10-18-16 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-18-16, 11:32 PM
Hanna
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my Dealer refused to replace the Brake Actuator Assembly ( Extended Warranty letter)
before going to the dealer i hooked up my INNOVA 3160 code reader and it spit out several ABS codes - one of particular interest to the issue...

C1281 Lexus ABS Current Master cylinder pressure sensor output signal is faulty.

i proceeded to the Dealer armed with the code which they aknowledge of having direct relation to the issue. but to my disappointment, the tech said he could not detect the code. i tried to convince them that i read it this morning and showed him the picture to no avail. I went back home, reset my instrument and did a retest with same result.. either my reader is mistaken or this Dealer doesn't know what they are doing and i suspect the latter. very disappointed - i am not going back to that dealer.
Attached Thumbnails Bad brake actuator - Lexus says they won't replace under warranty?-img_20161017_095704760-2.jpg  

Last edited by Hanna; 10-19-16 at 12:02 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 10-19-16, 07:45 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

try another dealer?
Old 12-30-16, 07:55 AM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Default ​​​​​​​Call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987 and insist they help you

Originally Posted by Hanna
my Dealer refused to replace the Brake Actuator Assembly ( Extended Warranty letter)
before going to the dealer i hooked up my INNOVA 3160 code reader and it spit out several ABS codes - one of particular interest to the issue...

C1281 Lexus ABS Current Master cylinder pressure sensor output signal is faulty.

i proceeded to the Dealer armed with the code which they aknowledge of having direct relation to the issue. but to my disappointment, the tech said he could not detect the code. i tried to convince them that i read it this morning and showed him the picture to no avail. I went back home, reset my instrument and did a retest with same result.. either my reader is mistaken or this Dealer doesn't know what they are doing and i suspect the latter. very disappointed - i am not going back to that dealer.

Call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987.

My local Dealer disputed my research - in person and by phone 5 x - UNTIL I called Lexus USA. Due to the lack of knowledge, effort, cooperation and professionalism by the local dealer, the Lexus USA rep agreed to call the local dealer direct for me while on hold to inform them of the Warranty Enhancement. An hour and a half later I get the call back: "It's been drawn to my attention...we're ordering the part now...sb done by tomorrow...no charge".
The following users liked this post:
greg3852 (12-30-16)
Old 12-30-16, 08:40 AM
RayLS
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by sddsdd
Call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987.

My local Dealer disputed my research - in person and by phone 5 x - UNTIL I called Lexus USA. Due to the lack of knowledge, effort, cooperation and professionalism by the local dealer, the Lexus USA rep agreed to call the local dealer direct for me while on hold to inform them of the Warranty Enhancement. An hour and a half later I get the call back: "It's been drawn to my attention...we're ordering the part now...sb done by tomorrow...no charge".
I'm happy for you. Good job.
I guess it depends on the dealer. I had mine replaced without the ABS warning light. Told my SA about the brake noise I was hearing. He had it checked by the tech and confirmed it was a bad actuator.
Old 03-06-17, 03:59 AM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes

Originally Posted by rehr0001
that is what I've heard.
Old 03-06-17, 04:01 AM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

Default Replace

Originally Posted by Stereorob
they will replace it up until Dec 2017. I'm hoping my lights will come on before then as the actuator makes plenty of noise but without warning lights or a error code they won't do anything.