LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

600hL has 18 cu. ft. trunk? Hoping so!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-16, 12:30 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts
Default 600hL has 18 cu. ft. trunk? Hoping so!

We have an 06 LS and I'd like to upgrade to a 600hl in a few years. It may take a few years to find the color combo and package I want so am starting the search early.

I know the 600 is the top of the line, but there are some options I would rather not have. Definitely don't want the executive seating as we need seating for five. Was so glad to find out the 600 didn't make exec seating mandatory.

Another concern is the trunk. I know the hybrid system and reclining seats eat up trunk space. At a gas station the owner of an 08 600hL let me peek into his trunk and I was aghast at the paltry remaining trunk space, barely enough room for his golf clubs. However, in the attached 2010 LS brochure it mentions 18 cu. ft. of trunk space for the 600hL without the executive seating package, so does that mean the 600hL doesn't have reclining seats like the 460L does? Do the seats recline only with exec seating in the 2010 600hL? I thought 460L used to offer no recline, rear recliner, or exec seating. Does the top of the line 600hL reduce your rear seat options?

The 600hL is AWD standard (which I like, whether I need it or not), but is the air suspension also default/mandatory? I like the shiftless CVT but don't want to deal with air suspension maintenance and am hoping there are 600hL models without the air suspension. Thank you to those that can help me clarify the trunk/rear seat/air suspension configuration for the 600hL.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4...w?usp=drivesdk

EDIT: I just noticed the 18 cu. ft. only has "460L" in parentheses but is listed beneath the section for "LS 460L, LS 600hL". I originally got too excited and thought the larger trunk size also applied to 600hL.

Looks like I should focus my search for only 460L. I suppose we don't need an overhead screen since we have tablets. Really would prefer the CVT over the 8-speed tranny though. Will need to test drive a 600hL...perhaps I can give up a little bit of trunk space in exchange for the seamless CVT. I'm thinking, in daily driving, a busy tranny would probably irritate me more often than reduced trunk space. As long as we can fit three large suitcases (or 4 medium suitcases) on trips (like we do in the LS430) we should be fine.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 10-09-16 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-09-16, 07:18 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Another concern is the trunk. I know the hybrid system and reclining seats eat up trunk space. At a gas station the owner of an 08 600hL let me peek into his trunk and I was aghast at the paltry remaining trunk space, barely enough room for his golf clubs. However, in the attached 2010 LS brochure it mentions 18 cu. ft. of trunk space for the 600hL without the executive seating package, so does that mean the 600hL doesn't have reclining seats like the 460L does? Do the seats recline only with exec seating in the 2010 600hL? I thought 460L used to offer no recline, rear recliner, or exec seating. Does the top of the line 600hL reduce your rear seat options?

The 600hL is AWD standard (which I like, whether I need it or not), but is the air suspension also default/mandatory? I like the shiftless CVT but don't want to deal with air suspension maintenance and am hoping there are 600hL models without the air suspension. Thank you to those that can help me clarify the trunk/rear seat/air suspension configuration for the 600hL.

EDIT: I just noticed the 18 cu. ft. only has "460L" in parentheses but is listed beneath the section for "LS 460L, LS 600hL". I originally got too excited and thought the larger trunk size also applied to 600hL.

Looks like I should focus my search for only 460L. I suppose we don't need an overhead screen since we have tablets. Really would prefer the CVT over the 8-speed tranny though. Will need to test drive a 600hL...perhaps I can give up a little bit of trunk space in exchange for the seamless CVT. I'm thinking, in daily driving, a busy tranny would probably irritate me more often than reduced trunk space. As long as we can fit three large suitcases (or 4 medium suitcases) on trips (like we do in the LS430) we should be fine.
The 600hL comes with rear reclining seats (ultra luxury package) and air suspension as standard equipment. Executive seating is optional. Trunk capacity is puny, same as my 460L with ultralux package. You could squeeze in 3 medium suitcases. CVT only available with hybrid. Rear DVD screen is part of Executive package. Overall, I am very happy with my car. You can get 460L with regular (non air) suspension, but the ultralux package comes with air suspension. No choice.
Old 10-09-16, 08:28 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
The 600hL comes with rear reclining seats (ultra luxury package) and air suspension as standard equipment. Executive seating is optional. Trunk capacity is puny, same as my 460L with ultralux package. You could squeeze in 3 medium suitcases. CVT only available with hybrid. Rear DVD screen is part of Executive package. Overall, I am very happy with my car. You can get 460L with regular (non air) suspension, but the ultralux package comes with air suspension. No choice.

Thank you for clearing that up for me, comotiger. Just out of curiosity, does the 460l/600hl UL lose any more trunk space with executive seating? Or do you only lose the 5th seating option with the executive package? Seems the executive seating reclines further back but I wasn't sure about the specs.
Old 10-09-16, 08:41 AM
bostonsnow
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I just looked yesterday at the Lexus website to see/compare the 2017 LS to 2016. Prices on the various models are the same as 2016, however, missing from 2017 altogether is the LS 600h L. Is it being discontinued?

We have an 06 LS and I'd like to upgrade to a 600hl in a few years. It may take a few years to find the color combo and package I want so am starting the search early.

I know the 600 is the top of the line, but there are some options I would rather not have. Definitely don't want the executive seating as we need seating for five. Was so glad to find out the 600 didn't make exec seating mandatory.

Old 10-09-16, 09:02 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bostonsnow
I just looked yesterday at the Lexus website to see/compare the 2017 LS to 2016. Prices on the various models are the same as 2016, however, missing from 2017 altogether is the LS 600h L. Is it being discontinued?
Yes, no 600hL for 2017, maybe for good.
Old 10-09-16, 09:06 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thank you for clearing that up for me, comotiger. Just out of curiosity, does the 460l/600hl UL lose any more trunk space with executive seating? Or do you only lose the 5th seating option with the executive package? Seems the executive seating reclines further back but I wasn't sure about the specs.
Good points. Maybe trunk is even smaller with Exec seating, don't know. But I think the reclining angle is about the same, the ottoman just makes it look like more.
Old 10-09-16, 01:11 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Hi
Do either of you have rear a/c? If you do, the trunk is smaller. I hadn't realized rhis until after further research. It appears about 4 cubit feet is lost with rear a/c.

Hope this helps.

Cubby
Old 10-09-16, 01:24 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
Hi
Do either of you have rear a/c? If you do, the trunk is smaller. I hadn't realized rhis until after further research. It appears about 4 cubit feet is lost with rear a/c. Hope this helps. Cubby
Are you referring to the cool box? It comes standard with the Ultralux package and likely contributes to the puny trunk in our vehicles.
Old 10-09-16, 03:14 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

My car has the cool box as well, but I think that comes with rear a/c because that is how it is cooled.. When I looked at one w/o rear a/c, the trunk was larger.

However, it won't take a wheelchair with rear a/c but the other conveniences and the fact it is an L version made up for that. I can put the wheelchair in the backseat area should I need to do that.

Cubby
Old 10-09-16, 08:48 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Cubbylex
My car has the cool box as well, but I think that comes with rear a/c because that is how it is cooled.. When I looked at one w/o rear a/c, the trunk was larger.

However, it won't take a wheelchair with rear a/c but the other conveniences and the fact it is an L version made up for that. I can put the wheelchair in the backseat area should I need to do that.

Cubby
Cubby, does the center tunnel get in the way when you try to store a wheelchair in the backseat? I wish there was a way for sedans to offer RWD/AWD while still providing a flat floor. For now the rear hump actually helps our 5-year-old get into her car seat. She's good about not kicking the vents or the seat backs but we recently chaperoned some classmates on a field trip and another kindergartener felt the need to use my headrest for his shoes so he could push himself onto his booster seat. I immediately wished I had a LWB.
Old 10-09-16, 09:40 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Hi

Actually, I haven't tried to put one in the back seat since we got it at the end of August, but I was able to do so in our Town Car when the trunk was otherwise full so I wasn't too concerned on the LS.

Presently, my family member is not in need of wc so it hasn't been an issue, but I will do so soon to let you know how it goes as I have been wanting to check it out anyway just to be sure. Presently, walkers fit in trunk just fine and also in back seat floorboard leaning against lower back seat cushion.

I totally understand about shoes and seats. Mine is Alibaster, almost creamy white and very soft leather. I have used the 10-1 Woolite solution to clean and it really does a good job. I did not soak the cloth but dampened it and took the marks right off without using a lot of pressure.

Hope you are able to find the combo you want. I know a lot of us on the site looked a while before we found what we wanted. I looked for a year and this one was actually not too far from where I live. I kept checking the whole country on CarGuru and eBay.

Take care,

Cubby