LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS460 Trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 05:24 PM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2008 LS460 Trunk won't open

At first it wouldn't close---after much investigating and fuse checking, I did a battery disconnect reset. and it closed and now will not open.
There is nothing stuck in the latch, it is not the valet switch in the glove box. I can push the button on the key-fob and it just beeps.
I can push the trunk open switch on the trunk and it just beeps.
Is there some sort of limit switch for the trunk motor that could cause this?
Could the motor be bad and causing this?
At first when it would not latch--the lock mechanism would cycle like it was trying to latch and unlatch--four or five times but the lid would not go up or down.'
I would try to shut the trunk and it would not latch---that's when I did the battery reset and pushed it down to latch and there you have it---nothing else.
The following users liked this post:
Sir800 (11-01-22)
Old 10-03-16, 05:46 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you tried the key?
duken52 (06-01-23)
Old 10-04-16, 03:47 AM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

Apologies---In my frustration, that yet again I am having another issue with this car, I forgot to mention that
The trunk opens and closes fine with the key--the power trunk opener will not work.
CamelKool (06-25-20)
Old 10-04-16, 01:57 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tonyt1132
Apologies---In my frustration, that yet again I am having another issue with this car, I forgot to mention that
The trunk opens and closes fine with the key--the power trunk opener will not work.
I think you might have accidentally turned on the button in glove box. When you open the glove box, there is one button on the left side. If this button is pressed (turned on), you wont be able to open the trunk except with the key. This is designed that way so if you valet park your car, you can turn this on and then lock the glove box. Then you hand over the fob only to valet, not with key. That way your valuables in trunk are safe and no one can access these

Open the glove box, press that button and you would be all set..
TayToClean (01-17-24)
Old 10-04-16, 03:50 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by jmcraney:
CardiacKid (11-16-18), TayToClean (01-17-24)
Old 10-09-16, 05:11 PM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

Sorry guys, it's not the valet button. If you turn off the valet button--the trunk wont even beep when to try to operate it. (I'm guess this is an indicator that of this mode)
My trunk works fine manually with the key and manually open/close. The Power Trunk opener/closer will not operate.
Is there a way to test the trunk operator motor? I read somewhere that there is a limit switch that could be broken--
anyone know where this might be located?

Thanks for your help.
Old 10-10-16, 05:32 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Your trunk motor have probably fail if the trunk opener/closer isn't operating. I had the same problem and it was covered under my extended warranty.
Old 10-10-16, 06:05 AM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

That's what I think also. I do not have an extended warranty. Do you have any idea of the cost?
Old 10-10-16, 11:50 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by tonyt1132
That's what I think also. I do not have an extended warranty. Do you have any idea of the cost?
About $1000 and that included the rear touchpad. Afterward the trunk opening/closing was so much smoother and almost silent.
Old 10-10-16, 11:54 AM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

Thanks---I guess I'll bite the bullet and take it in.
Old 10-30-16, 05:32 AM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

After a little more investigating, I discovered that the position sensor on the Trunk Latch mechanism is broken. I tried to put it back together, no luck. It is a white plastic sensor on the Trunk latch assembly (64650). I found one on Amazon for $400, I guess I will order and try it.
My question is?? If the Trunk Latch mechanism is not working properly, will that shut down the Trunk Closer motor
Old 11-05-16, 09:26 AM
tonyt1132
Driver School Candidate

Default Found the problem

The Position Sensor on the trunk latch was broken.
Trunk latch assembly
Lexus-64650-50040-Trunk-Actuator-Motor
$343.00 on Amazon

The white plastic position sensor was broken and
shut down the power trunk.

Replaced the trunk latch assembly and did the battery reset and works like a champ!!
CamelKool (06-25-20)
Old 01-17-18, 12:20 AM
2ManyLexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"After a little more investigating, I discovered that the position sensor on the Trunk Latch mechanism is broken. I tried to put it back together, no luck. It is a white plastic sensor on the Trunk latch assembly (64650). I found one on Amazon for $400, I guess I will order and try it.
My question is?? If the Trunk Latch mechanism is not working properly, will that shut down the Trunk Closer motor"

TonyT,
I am having a similar trunk latch issue with my 2007 LS460. Seems as if the trunk latch works, but not properly. While latch motor operates, it appears to be misaligned; does not rotate from the locked 9 pm position to the open 6 pm position. It operates from the locked 9 pm position to the 10pm position. I am observing this operation when the trunk is open, and only after (I first) actuate the inside trunk emergency release and them turn the external trunk key switch. I have tried most of the suggestions and about to bite the bullet and purchase a latch. I assuming you purchased a new latch because the subcomponent could not be purchased separately. My question is, how did you realize the position indicator was broken. I would appreciate any insight on how the latch and any interconnects are suppose to work, so I can better troubleshoot the problem. Thanks.
Old 03-18-18, 07:00 AM
PhilDWebb
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Can’t get into 2007 ls460l

Son tried to close the trunk using the button at the lower dash area (left knee location) with a strap from a backpack in the way of the trunk closing. The trunk wouldn’t close and reopened.
His friend got out physically closed the trunk and then they noticed it wouldn’t reopen. There was a strap th passengers side and the system indicated the trunk was open.
He tried the keyfob to open, the trunk button to open and also the dash button in addition to the physical key and none would open the trunk. They opened the rear seat armrest passage to try to gain acces. They were able to use a device to pull the strap back into the trunk area.
Then they tried to press the emergence release handle located on the inside of the trunk by using a rod. Pressed it all the way down but still it doesn’t trip the trunk to open.
Many ideas on how to gain access to the trunk at this point?
Old 03-18-18, 07:46 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

You might try grasping under the lip, just above the license plate, and lifting up.

And you should try disconnecting the car's starting battery for a few minutes.

There may be some information here that is helpful: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...procedure.html

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-18-18 at 07:54 AM.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS460 Trunk won't open