LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Options for Smartphone Mirroring and Navigation Bypass in 2014 LS

Old 09-19-16, 05:41 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Options for Smartphone Mirroring and Navigation Bypass in 2014 LS

Hi folks, I have been reading CL posts about the various products to mirror smartphones and for Nav bypass. I have collated the information to make sure I understand how they compare with each other, as I am interested in installing one of these systems soon in my 2014 LS460L. I have described the products to the best of my abilities, so please correct any mistakes or misconceptions. Thank you very much for your feedback.

GROM (contact on website: http://gromaudio.com/support.html)
VLine VL1-LEX5: $300 http://gromaudio.com/store/vline/
- Stand-alone device (not mirroring) for AV entertainment
- Requires Cellular/LTE plan or can use LTE-enabled smartphone as WiFi hub
- Can be controlled using Nav screen input
- Can run Google Maps and other popular Apps
- Compatibility with 2014 LS anticipated
- Does not unlock Nav screen to use DVD player while vehicle is moving
- Installs in glove box

VAIS (720-733-2348; info@vaistech.com)
ULM-71: $140 http://www.vaistech.com/newsite/product/ulm-71/
- Allows to enter Nav destinations or call hands-free while vehicle in moving
- Unlock Nav screen to use DVD player while vehicle is moving
- Installs behind nav screen
No module for mirroring iPhone to play movies off smartphone (iVIC-6i may work).
Mirroring may work like Lexus Enform. May have to install App on smartphone for AV entertainment. Special Maps app. Can’t use Google Maps. Installs in glove box.

Beat-sonic USA (714-994-1085; info@beatsonicusa.com)
IF-04EP: $359 http://www.beatsonicusa.com/if04ep.html
- True iPhone mirroring (unlike Lexus Enform or VAIS iVIC) for AV entertainment
- Can run all Apps including Google Maps using iPhone input
- Cannot be controlled using Nav screen input
- Allows to enter Nav destinations or call hands-free while vehicle in moving
- Unlock Nav screen to use DVD player while vehicle is moving
- iPhone charging is problematic, and may rapidly discharge phone
- Many cables and controllers, but may install behind nav screen

In addition, Beatsonic also has a front camera capable device. Looks very nice!
CS5EP Front Camera controller: $199 http://www.beatsonicusa.com/cameras/cs5ep.html
- Can cycle to display front camera, rear camera and nav screen when vehicle is stationary or moving
- Installs behind nav screen
- Compatible with 2015+ LS460; hopefully will be made compatible with 2014 LS
- Front camera sold separately

I am leaning toward the Beatsonic system because it can mirror the iPhone, can run Google maps, and unlock the DVD player and nav screen. If you had to choose one of these, which one would you pick and why? Thanks!

Last edited by comotiger; 09-19-16 at 10:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (04-03-17)
Old 09-19-16, 07:43 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

holy moly!!! I am interested in on the Grom Unit.. that's for the post!!!
Old 09-19-16, 03:57 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks!

Any more opinions, guys? Are my descriptions accurate? I will probably call Beatsonic and confirm details before buying. Thanks for your help.

The front camera is intriguing. I might get that done also when they have all the panels off.
Old 09-22-16, 10:03 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Although I have nothing to add, will definitely be following this thread!

Would love to mirror an Android's device screen to the LS460... without completely tearing up every inch of the dash
Bigguy818 (01-27-23)
Old 09-22-16, 10:28 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jasone36
Although I have nothing to add, will definitely be following this thread!

Would love to mirror an Android's device screen to the LS460... without completely tearing up every inch of the dash
Thanks, Jason. Sadly with our 2013 and 2014 LS, features resembling Android Auto or Apply Car Play cannot be integrated into the vehicle electronics without installing these aftermarket products which require significant work behind the dash.

If you want Android mirroring, iVIC-6 should work well. But the VLine may be better because it eliminates some of the drawbacks of mirroring smartphones. If GROM offers full iPhone-like features (ability to download any App, for example), that would be the way to go.
Old 09-22-16, 11:22 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 503 Likes on 382 Posts

Not a fan of the Beatsonic, as it appears that (if Im reading it right), it doesn't allow control from the Nav screen. That's a deal breaker for me.

Seems the Grom is the way to go.
Old 09-22-16, 12:39 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Roadfrog, I agree. If you have an Android device, GROM is the best option at present because it allows for the installation of any App the user desires, including Google maps and Waze, and all functions can be controlled on the Nav screen. However, GROM is not yet approved for downloading apps from Apple store, but this may happen soon. To get Nav/DVD bypass, one would have to install the Vais ULM71 or similar module to be able to use the DVD player while driving.

My understanding is that iVIC-6 fits in the glove box and works more like Lexus Enform in that opening that App on your smartphone (Android or iOS) will mirror to the Nav screen and the iVIC application can be controlled from the Nav screen. Within the iVIC application, there are "links" to Pandora, Calendar, Maps and other infotainment apps. If I am correct, Google Maps is not offered within the iVIC application, which is a deal breaker for me. This situation is similar to the Enform application. For DVD bypass, one would also install the ULM71 device.

Beatsonic is true smartphone mirroring in that the phone display is replicated on the Nav screen. The main advantage is that all apps (Google maps, etc.) are running on your smartphone. Another advantage of Beatsonic IF04EP is that it offers DVD/Nav bypass also, and all the cables and controllers may fit behind the dash. The drawback is that because this is mirroring, all functions have to be controlled from the smartphone (like you say), and some members have complained of phone charging issues.
dc5423 (01-04-18)
Old 04-03-17, 01:05 PM
Ingelsgard
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What kit works best on a 2009 LS?
Old 04-03-17, 06:05 PM
ccbcc
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thanks for putting together the options in this thread!

While I am definitely interested in mirrroring my Android phone on the navi screen, it would be nice if it can be supported natively -- in the near future that is. It's super sad to see that Lexus has no plan to support Android Auto: https://www.cars.com/articles/which-...1420691731381/

Compared with speech recognition in Siri or Google Now, Toyota's speech recog is at stone age. I see the risk of Lexus/Toyota playing Nokia as to iPhone/iOS or Android phones here. I, for one, will consider it a deal breaker, say 5 years down the road, if Toyota/Lexus is in the minority camp of not supporting either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay.

Originally Posted by comotiger
Roadfrog, I agree. If you have an Android device, GROM is the best option at present because it allows for the installation of any App the user desires, including Google maps and Waze, and all functions can be controlled on the Nav screen. However, GROM is not yet approved for downloading apps from Apple store, but this may happen soon. To get Nav/DVD bypass, one would have to install the Vais ULM71 or similar module to be able to use the DVD player while driving.

My understanding is that iVIC-6 fits in the glove box and works more like Lexus Enform in that opening that App on your smartphone (Android or iOS) will mirror to the Nav screen and the iVIC application can be controlled from the Nav screen. Within the iVIC application, there are "links" to Pandora, Calendar, Maps and other infotainment apps. If I am correct, Google Maps is not offered within the iVIC application, which is a deal breaker for me. This situation is similar to the Enform application. For DVD bypass, one would also install the ULM71 device.

Beatsonic is true smartphone mirroring in that the phone display is replicated on the Nav screen. The main advantage is that all apps (Google maps, etc.) are running on your smartphone. Another advantage of Beatsonic IF04EP is that it offers DVD/Nav bypass also, and all the cables and controllers may fit behind the dash. The drawback is that because this is mirroring, all functions have to be controlled from the smartphone (like you say), and some members have complained of phone charging issues.
Old 04-03-17, 06:36 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks, Jason. Sadly with our 2013 and 2014 LS, features resembling Android Auto or Apply Car Play cannot be integrated into the vehicle electronics without installing these aftermarket products which require significant work behind the dash.

If you want Android mirroring, iVIC-6 should work well. But the VLine may be better because it eliminates some of the drawbacks of mirroring smartphones. If GROM offers full iPhone-like features (ability to download any App, for example), that would be the way to go.
Many thanks for collecting all of the options in one easy to digest thread, comotiger!

For Jason, and other Android users, Sam from Beat Sonic said the IF04 will also work for Android devices but you'll need to purchase an additional wireless HDMI adapter, such as Netgear PTV3000. This pushes the total cost to $400.

I was very interested in the Beat Sonic mirroring but need to ask an obvious question, please. Why bother with all of that when you can get the new 9.7" iPad for $329? I don't mean to dampen anyone's enthusiasm for the mirroring and DVD bypass options above, but I find myself scratching my head when faced with the alternative of a tablet that will have all the functionality, with a larger screen, and less cost/time. Maybe I'm missing the point. If so, I do want to learn more about why others find the other products more appealing than a tablet please. Will definitely be following this thread with great interest. Thanks again, comotiger!
Old 07-24-17, 06:56 PM
rgspb
Driver School Candidate

One thing to keep in mind with the BeatSonic unit for iPhone. This will really only work with a Plus model iPhone. The home screens on the 4.7" phones do not rotate, only the home screens on the 5.5" phones rotate. This means if you're using a 4.7" iPhone the icons will be on their sides when you are on a home screen. Kind of a big drawback that they don't mention on their website!
Old 07-25-17, 11:02 AM
gs350_07
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rgspb
One thing to keep in mind with the BeatSonic unit for iPhone. This will really only work with a Plus model iPhone. The home screens on the 4.7" phones do not rotate, only the home screens on the 5.5" phones rotate. This means if you're using a 4.7" iPhone the icons will be on their sides when you are on a home screen. Kind of a big drawback that they don't mention on their website!
Personally I don't see this as a drawback as a home screen is not a display where you will want to be at while mirroring your phone to the car's screen. All the useful applications do rotate such as my Waze and Apple Maps. Google maps should rotate too. Videos goes full screen automatically and phone goes into the AirPlay mode.
Old 08-08-17, 08:47 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

I agree with gs350.

In any case, although the home screen does not rotate with an iPhone6 plugged into the Beatsonic, the icons stay right side up. Please check my full install and demo thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...nt-camera.html
Old 04-08-18, 04:24 PM
Dagobert69
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2017 ct 200h, when people say mirroring does that mean my phones screen has to be turned on at all times if I want to use Google maps for example and I have to control it from my phone? Which one of those let's me just connect my phone so I can enable android auto and just use it for music (via USB) and Google maps without me having to have my phones screen on at all times and having to control everything through my phone
Old 04-08-18, 05:50 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dagobert69
I have a 2017 ct 200h, when people say mirroring does that mean my phones screen has to be turned on at all times if I want to use Google maps for example and I have to control it from my phone? Which one of those let's me just connect my phone so I can enable android auto and just use it for music (via USB) and Google maps without me having to have my phones screen on at all times and having to control everything through my phone
If you mirror your phone with the Beatsonic kit, the phone screen can be turned down low almost to black screen and the Nav screen will still mirror the phone screen. The phone's display can also go to sleep with Apps running, and mirroring to the Nav screen will not be affected. Unlike Carplay (or Auto), with mirroring, all apps have to be controlled on the iPhone either by touch or using Siri.

Carplay or Auto are just Apps similar to Lexus' own Enform App. The problem with Enform is it does not permit the use of very many 3rd party apps-only Pandora and Yelp and a few others. Spotify, and all Map apps are not supported. That's the problem with Carplay too. It won't enable Google Maps or Waze, only Apple's Maps App.

Your 2017 car should have pretty good Navigation in the car. You should consider using the Enform App suite. Agreed you can't use Google Maps, but you will be able to play all your music through BT audio.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Options for Smartphone Mirroring and Navigation Bypass in 2014 LS