LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Driver Attention Monitor

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-16, 09:24 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Driver Attention Monitor

Hi folks,
I returned home last night from a 300 mile trip. I thoroughly enjoyed using the Lane Keeping Assist and Dynamic Cruise control in my car, and I can see them work. My car also has the driver attention monitor, the small IR thingy mounted on the steering column that blocks my view of the odometer (see image). I know this device has also been installed on 600hLs since 2007. I am curious to know if this device works. It is supposed to track the driver's eyes and alert with beeps (and a vibrating steering wheel?) when the driver "falls asleep".

Other than closing eyes for several seconds (which I am not keen to do at any speed), has anyone figured out how to test whether this device works as designed?

Old 08-08-16, 10:37 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

It also detects head movement to see if you are looking forward and not down and drowsy. It should be easy to test.

Old 08-08-16, 10:48 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

its watching you.. wild stuff isn't it.
Old 08-08-16, 10:48 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
It also detects head movement to see if you are looking forward and not down and drowsy. It should be easy to test.
I tried rotating my head slowly side to side but nothing happened. I did not try up and down.
Old 08-08-16, 12:09 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Turning your head left or right would be part of normal driving behavior so shouldn't set off an alarm. However, head tilted up to the headliner or down to the floor mat wouldn't be. I thought I read when the 600Lh came out it could detect if your eyes were closed, and I thought it was a camera and not IR.
Old 08-08-16, 12:27 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Turning your head left or right would be part of normal driving behavior so shouldn't set off an alarm. However, head tilted up to the headliner or down to the floor mat wouldn't be. I thought I read when the 600Lh came out it could detect if your eyes were closed, and I thought it was a camera and not IR.
Good point about head movement. Is it a regular camera or IR sensor? My device has two dim red "LEDs" lit up at night, unlike the array of six lit LEDs in the 600hL's I have seen on google. Seems more like IR, but don't know. Maybe a Lexus techie on CL can provide answers.
Old 08-09-16, 05:32 AM
Nospinzone

We're both right, half way.

The system's functions co-operate with the Pre-Collision System (PCS).[1] The system uses infrared sensors to monitor driver attentiveness. Specifically, the Driver Monitoring System includes a CCD camera placed on the steering column which is capable of eye tracking,[2] via infrared LED detectors.[3
Old 08-09-16, 05:46 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

We're both right, half way.
The system's functions co-operate with the Pre-Collision System (PCS).[1] The system uses infrared sensors to monitor driver attentiveness. Specifically, the Driver Monitoring System includes a CCD camera placed on the steering column which is capable of eye tracking,[2] via infrared LED detectors.[3
Thanks, I must have read about it a while back I read that other systems use software to monitor tens of driver inputs to determine whether they are attentive.

I should try the up-down movement to see if it really works.
Old 08-09-16, 05:58 AM
Nospinzone

I would be curious to try that system out although I don't really need it. Decades ago I used to drive hundreds of miles in a day. I would have paid anything to have a system like that.
Old 08-09-16, 08:53 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

I would be curious to try that system out although I don't really need it. Decades ago I used to drive hundreds of miles in a day. I would have paid anything to have a system like that.
When I decided to upgrade from my 2012 LS SWB to a LWB for the kids' benefit, I figured I would go all the way and get all the safety features. I intend to keep this vehicle for many years (I currently have a 21 year old Legacy and a 15 year old Sienna), so I will definitely benefit from having these safety features as I get older. And I am not immune to distracted driving (fiddling with radio, climate and nav controls; no texting), so the LKA and DRCC are very useful.

But in another 10-15 years, a majority of cars on the road could be semi- or fully autonomous, and the next generation may never experience the joy of driving a fine automobile like the LS