LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Saying Goodbye

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-16, 04:24 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saying Goodbye

I have enjoyed being on this forum for just about 8 years, but am saying goodbye. I am trading in my 2008 LS460 on a 2017 Mercedes E300. I have owned 47 automobiles and the LS460 has been the best car I owned. However after having the 75,000 mile service done, my service advisor informed me that my car was going to be needing the control arms replaced in the not too distant future due to deteriorating bushings. The cost would be about $4000+

I turned to this forum immediately to learn about the problem. I had the car checked by a very reputable independent Toyota/Lexus shop. They told me that the bushings on 6 of the control arms were deteriorating and, using aftermarket Dorman control arms where available, it would cost $3200 including a 4-wheel alignment, or $3800 to replace all 8.

As much as I love my LS460, I seriously considered have the independent shop do the repair, but I finally decided that I would not spend $4000 on an 8 year old car.

I know it sounds ridiculous, but buying a new Mercedes E300 is a big comedown from the LS460. I briefly considered a certified pre-owned LS 460, but with the new model coming out in a year or so, I decided to go with the new Mercedes. It will keep my Mercedes coupe company in my garage.

Thanks to all on this forum for sharing your knowledge and experiences about the LS460.
Old 07-24-16, 05:30 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have checked with more than two shops, personally.

It sounds more like you were already on the fence and this was the nudge you needed.

Good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 07-24-16, 05:43 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Sounds like you were ready to move on, if not that's a shame because chances are you could have driven another 25,000 miles on those deteriorating bushings without a single problem. Then you could have called around to other independent shops...I bet you could have found one to do this repair for under $1,500.

But I understand some people don't want to keep an 8 year old car forever, and when repairs need to be made it makes it even more enticing to get rid of it. Good luck with your new ride. I've done the same thing several times in the past, but I think I'm going to hang on for the long run with the LS.
Old 07-24-16, 06:28 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Hey Clean1, sorry to see you go, but I have a suspicion we will see you back here some day.

I do understand your decision not to put $4K into the car, however if it were me I would probably repair it (assuming the car was otherwise desirable).

It happens that just this past Thursday evening a local MB dealer had an event to showcase the new 2017 E class. I went mainly because there was food from Capitol Grill, beer, wine and champagne, chocolates, Italian desserts, and a goody bag. (Yes, I can be bought ). The three cars on display were very, very nice. I didn't pay close attention, but the MSRP's ranged from about $60K to $70+K.

If I were to buy one of these, say for $70K because I would get a loaded one, right out the door I would pay the Commonwealth of Taxachusetts $4375 in sales tax, and then get an excise tax bill from my town for about $1350. Now I would save a little on sales tax if I trade my car into the dealer, but the reduced value versus a private sale wouldn't make it worth it.

On the other hand, you get a new car with a new car warranty, so there's something to be said for that. Any way, I wish you good luck with your new car. One thing I really liked about it was the super wide LCD screen.
Old 07-24-16, 07:33 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Before I purchased my '13 LS, I nearly closed a great deal on '14 E350 CPO. The deciding factor - in addition to reliability and ride quality - was space and I just couldn't get comfortable in the E with MB Tex seats. While I don't at all regret going with the LS, I have to say that the new E class really looks like a significant leap ahead of the older generation. Best of luck to you and congrats on your new Merc!

Last edited by droclex; 07-25-16 at 06:38 AM.
Old 07-25-16, 06:07 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Enjoy the new ride. I agree with Doublebase....it sounds like you just needed an excuse to move onto another brand. Nothing wrong with that. I also agree that the job you were faced with on your LS could have been done for a fraction of what you were quoted, Certainly less than the charges you'll face with the first service interval with MB. ;-)
Old 07-25-16, 07:38 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Every time my dads E500 visits the dealer he leaves $1k lighter. Granted his is used.
Old 07-25-16, 07:49 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Good luck. It's a shame you already feel like you traded down. That's a ton of cash to feel like this: "I know it sounds ridiculous, but buying a new Mercedes E300 is a big comedown from the LS460."

Old 07-25-16, 10:07 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My sister has a new e350 sport. 2016. It's cute and all but no way if go down in shape and form from my LS.

Life is short, always own what you want ( afford). I never understood, " well I'm not crazy about it, but it's new theory".

Either way. Got luck man!
Old 07-25-16, 12:19 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Drive and enjoy your new MB e-class. Not a lot of room but it drives awesome and hugs the road. Lots of advanced technology that the current LS don't offer.
Old 07-25-16, 06:58 PM
Clean1
Driver School Candidate

Actually I was not on the fence. I really had planned to keep the LS at least 2 more years. The car was in excellent condition inside and out. For three weeks my wife and I went back and forth - one day we said spend the $$$ to replace the control arms. The brakes were redone about 10,000 miles ago, new tires 4000 miles ago and the 75,000 mile service was just done when we got the news that we needed to replace the control arms. Then the next day we said why spend almost $4000 on an 8 year old car that will only continue to depreciate and might need some other big repair. I have to tell you that up until yesterday I was still thinking of replacing the control arms.

What finally convinced me was that one of my neighbors just got a 2017 E300 with all the upgrades - his listed for $10,000 more than the one I bought. I had driven a demo E300 twice already, but after I went for a ride with my neighbor and got a chance to drive his car without a sales person next to me, I decided to go ahead with the purchase. We got a fair discount, especially since the car is out for only 4 weeks, and 2.99% financing thru MB. They are also picking up $750 of the 1st month payment.

Brought mine home today. Only drove it home from the dealer and sat down to read the manuals - Even though we had a concierge run us through all the tech things this car can do (I will probably never use 30-40% of the possibilities) I am still trying to figure our some of the simple stuff.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Regards to all
Old 07-26-16, 12:28 PM
sloanbj
Rookie

Lexus flagship was best car you ever owned and you liked it so much that when it came time to replace it you bought a mid-level MB? You are going from the joys of the most reliable car brand and automaker to one firmly in the bottom quarter. You won't keep it eight years if repair bills scare you, that's for sure. More like 3.
Old 07-26-16, 12:37 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Congratulations on the new purchase. Sounds like you got a great deal. I hope you enjoy it to the fullest.
Old 07-26-16, 01:26 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sloanbj
Lexus flagship was best car you ever owned and you liked it so much that when it came time to replace it you bought a mid-level MB? You are going from the joys of the most reliable car brand and automaker to one firmly in the bottom quarter. You won't keep it eight years if repair bills scare you, that's for sure. More like 3.
I don't think it's the repair bill that scared them.. It was the thought of investing into a depreciating asset.

Everyone has a tolerance for this and theirs was met.
Old 07-26-16, 02:38 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I don't think it's the repair bill that scared them.. It was the thought of investing into a depreciating asset. Everyone has a tolerance for this and theirs was met.
There's a flip side to that thought process. Given how much maintenance they recently had performed, they could have taken care of the control arms at an Indy Shop for what $2500-3000 max. and then had thousands and thousands of miles or low maintenance / low cost driving. The depreciation for a '07-'08 LS460 over the next several years is going to continue, but it will slow and the slope will become less and less steep. The service life of a LS460 is 200K miles easy, with many examples significantly beyond that to 300K.

On the other hand, the depreciation on a new MB E-Class is very steep in the first few years, with a 5 year residual value of maybe 50% (best case). As others have said, a modern MB (or BMW/Audi) is not a car one wants to own out of warranty so very few are keepers. Yes I know I'm a hypocrite as I own a 14 year old German car long since out of warranty, but it's built a little better than most cars and at 48K miles has a lot of life left in it!

Now I'm not opposed to driving newer cars and I have bought new cars before (none of which I currently own) but the cost per mile and cost per year is going to be exponentially higher with the new MB E-Class vs. keeping the 'ol LS460.

OP, good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new ride. Before I purchased my LS460 back in April, I did test drive a 2011 (or 2012) MB E550 with the turbo V8 and it was a nice driving car with plenty of power. But given it was priced a little more than the '12 LS460 Sport I bought and I was concerned about long term reliability, in the end I decided I wanted to stay with Lexus given my previous experiences with LS400s.

Last edited by seanl; 07-26-16 at 02:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Saying Goodbye