LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Shift Down Technique...

Old 06-20-16, 02:01 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Shift Down Technique...

Guys -

I just stumbled on this the other day, just by accident. You guys may do this already though, dunno. In old school days a quick stab on the gas pedal activated a "kick-down" feature. I don't know anything about that feature except how to do it.

Our LS's don't really work that way, but may shift down at a stab due to a combination of conditions. But it may not shift down with a stab, just sort of depends on the situation.

But I stumbled onto something that seems to work consistently.

I found that if you're cruising and want to quickly shift a gear or more down and go, quickly release the throttle and then stab down on it. You guys who understand automagic transmissions better than I, and therefor maybe can explain this better than I. It seems the transmission wants to lock-up quickly to improve fuel economy. Yet when you let off the gas, it unlocks the torque converter. When cruising, and the converter being locked, it doesn't tend to unlock when pressing the throttle. But if you let off first (quickly) it unlocks and then the stab makes it select a lower gear much quicker.

Anywho, this is not an important thread, but there's been complaints on here about how long it takes the transmission to shift down to accelerate. And maybe part of that time is spent convincing the PCM that unlocking the converter is a good idea. So, quickly letting off, then stabbing down will cut down the time to shift down.

Maybe this can be considered a "trick" to make the car perform closer to what is desired. FWIW.

Somebody try this on their car and see if it works on a car other than just mine.

7milesout
Old 06-20-16, 02:39 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Guys -

I just stumbled on this the other day, just by accident. You guys may do this already though, dunno. In old school days a quick stab on the gas pedal activated a "kick-down" feature. I don't know anything about that feature except how to do it.

Our LS's don't really work that way, but may shift down at a stab due to a combination of conditions. But it may not shift down with a stab, just sort of depends on the situation.

I found that if you're cruising and want to quickly shift a gear or more down and go, quickly release the throttle and then stab down on it. You guys who understand automagic transmissions better than I, and therefor maybe can explain this better than I. It seems the transmission wants to lock-up quickly to improve fuel economy. Yet when you let off the gas, it unlocks the torque converter. When cruising, and the converter being locked, it doesn't tend to unlock when pressing the throttle. But if you let off first (quickly) it unlocks and then the stab makes it select a lower gear much quicker.

Anywho, this is not an important thread, but there's been complaints on here about how long it takes the transmission to shift down to accelerate. And maybe part of that time is spent convincing the PCM that unlocking the converter is a good idea. So, quickly letting off, then stabbing down will cut down the time to shift down.

Maybe this can be considered a "trick" to make the car perform closer to what is desired. FWIW.

Somebody try this on their car and see if it works on a car other than just mine.

7milesout
PWR ECT makes it so the car is slower to engage lockup.
Old 06-20-16, 03:48 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Guys -

7milesout
Rather interesting observation, and I wish I had my 460 to try it on.

I will say, regarding the hesitation (in its many, thoroughly-discussed forms), that when I had the calibration update, the kick-down response was much improved. Of course, what you describe might have further improved response, but I wouldn't know.