LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dripping Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 11:49 AM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Would love to solve this drip issue on our 2013. I am confused by which "external trunk lid trim" the SA is referring to in the notes. The only external trunk lid trim I could find is the strip of metal accent. Not sure how that would stop the drips.
When you open the trunk you will see a rubber seal (about 1" in height and the width of the trunk lid)...on my car it is black as shown in the pic...water runs down the side channels on either side of the trunk lid and then runs out on the top of the bumper...if this rubber seal is not tightly secured to the trunk lid it can have gaps to hold water which gets dumped out into your trunk when you open the lid. I never noticed mine being loose, but after replacement I have had no issues in almost 3 years. Good luck.

The following 2 users liked this post by jimrd:
bigsherv (10-01-18), comotiger (10-01-18)
Old 10-01-18, 01:04 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

So just changing that small piece of trim will stop the trunk form peeing all over my laptop bag when I open the trunk after a car wash.

If this works I owe you a kiss on the lips!

Can you be a bro and send the part number?
Old 10-01-18, 01:08 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

so you have the buy this whole assemble or can you buy just the one part. It sucks if this is a 100 dollar fix.
https://parts.lexusofwestkendall.com...bly-7680150120
Old 10-01-18, 02:12 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jimrd
When you open the trunk you will see a rubber seal (about 1" in height and the width of the trunk lid)...on my car it is black as shown in the pic...water runs down the side channels on either side of the trunk lid and then runs out on the top of the bumper...if this rubber seal is not tightly secured to the trunk lid it can have gaps to hold water which gets dumped out into your trunk when you open the lid. I never noticed mine being loose, but after replacement I have had no issues in almost 3 years. Good luck.
Mmmm, I should check again, but I think my car is missing this trim piece. I know my car had some rear bumper repair before I bought it, but it would be bad if this piece was not reinstalled. Thanks for posting the part # if available.
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (10-01-18)
Old 10-01-18, 02:42 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by bigsherv
so you have the buy this whole assemble or can you buy just the one part. It sucks if this is a 100 dollar fix.
https://parts.lexusofwestkendall.com...bly-7680150120
Hi bigsherv,
I looked again, and I think the part we are looking for is #16 Finish Molding - Lexus (76813-50020). The discounted price is $18.76. I am not sure if we have to get part #s 10-12 also to attach it, for about $3. Let me know if you decide to get these and install the piece. And how easy the install was.

Old 10-01-18, 02:48 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

Subscribed. Like to see if the piece fixes the dripping issue. I have WeatherTech cargo liner so it doesn't bug me much.
Old 10-01-18, 03:11 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

So just changing that small piece of trim will stop the trunk form peeing all over my laptop bag when I open the trunk after a car wash.

If this works I owe you a kiss on the lips!

Can you be a bro and send the part number?
Sorry gents, I don't have the p/n or any idea what is really involved with fixing the seal...I bought my 4LS new and had the dripping water happen a couple times...the original service record details I posted was my car and the issue was fixed by the dealer at my first 5k service... I admit I too was skeptical when the SA explained the fix but I have had no problems since then...good luck!
The following users liked this post:
bigsherv (10-01-18)
Old 10-01-18, 04:50 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Son of a motherless goat! I am missing mine!

Old 10-01-18, 05:51 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

I can't tell if it is 16 or that long piece in the assembly.

Why do I have two holes and the other picture posted has 4 screws in it.

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hi bigsherv,
I looked again, and I think the part we are looking for is #16 Finish Molding - Lexus (76813-50020). The discounted price is $18.76. I am not sure if we have to get part #s 10-12 also to attach it, for about $3. Let me know if you decide to get these and install the piece. And how easy the install was.

Last edited by bigsherv; 10-01-18 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-01-18, 06:28 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Son of a motherless goat! I am missing mine!

Apparently they didn't finish building my car either! That explains why several of us have the drip issue. Gonna look into ordering the necessary parts. Thanks, OP, for the thread.

Old 10-01-18, 07:03 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

Does your trunk lid not have a hole at each end like mine?
Old 10-01-18, 07:11 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

bigsherv...if you are asking about the 4 screws in my pic...actually they are open clearance (or weep holes for condensation I assume), no pins or screws or anything...I can insert a small diameter screwdriver all the way in...I assume the 2 holes in your pic are hidden under the seal and there for some sort of clip to hold the seal/gasket in place...and I assume there is some sort of glue/sealant to hold the gasket rather than just two clip holes (which a loose gasket was my original problem) ... but you are definitely missing the 4 weep holes I have. There are 3 weep holes in the metal part of the trunk lid just below the seal we are talking about (you can barely made out one on my first pic just behind the trunk lock/latch mechanism and just below the screwdriver in my second pic) but I can't see them in your pic. . No idea how water can get inside of the trunk lid but someone put them there...

father...I think you have a different gen than bigsherv and i have...neither of us have that gasket that runs the entire edge of the trunk lid...but I do see some weep holes in your pic...

Last edited by jimrd; 10-01-18 at 07:23 PM. Reason: spell correct
Old 10-01-18, 07:49 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by jimrd
bigsherv...if you are asking about the 4 screws in my pic...actually they are open clearance (or weep holes for condensation I assume), no pins or screws or anything...I can insert a small diameter screwdriver all the way in...I assume the 2 holes in your pic are hidden under the seal and there for some sort of clip to hold the seal/gasket in place...and I assume there is some sort of glue/sealant to hold the gasket rather than just two clip holes (which a loose gasket was my original problem) ... but you are definitely missing the 4 weep holes I have. There are 3 weep holes in the metal part of the trunk lid just below the seal we are talking about (you can barely made out one on my first pic just behind the trunk lock/latch mechanism and just below the screwdriver in my second pic) but I can't see them in your pic. . No idea how water can get inside of the trunk lid but someone put them there...

father...I think you have a different gen than bigsherv and i have...neither of us have that gasket that runs the entire edge of the trunk lid...but I do see some weep holes in your pic...

You are right, jimrd, all three of ours look different...but I thought we're the same 2013+ gen. Mine is 2013, your signature says 2015. bigsherv, what year is yours?
Old 10-01-18, 07:53 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Does your trunk lid not have a hole at each end like mine?
Correct, only three holes inside the edge:

Old 10-01-18, 08:00 PM
bigsherv
Intermediate

2014 SWB RWD F Sport

Quick Reply: Dripping Trunk