LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clunk from air shock.

Old 04-19-16, 06:41 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clunk from air shock.

So on my latest trip to the dealer they've discovered my occasional clunk from the front end is coming from the left front air shock. They're willing to go 50/50 on it as it isn't a failure of the assembly as of yet. Cost to me would be about 950.

Should I proceed with replacing it?
Old 04-19-16, 09:30 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Depend on how long you plan on keeping the car. I would look for a better solution with aftermarket air struts because it'll fail again down the road if you go back to oem. There's a vendor on here Arnott they makes aftermarket oem style air struts for our cars. They offer limited lifetime warranty and based out of Florida. I can't wait till they make it for the AWD model so I can buy a set for spares.

https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...9_gid1267.html
Old 04-19-16, 09:59 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Lexus air shocks are expensive but at 50/50 that seems to high.
Old 04-19-16, 10:15 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

This is a tough one...

For starters, the 50/50 offer definitely shows goodwill and is a step in the right direction and something to appreciate. The dollar amount is high, though, and considering that this is a known issue (i.e., parts were redesigned, even though eventually the air struts would fail as a wear-and-tear item) and that you first posted about your purchase a month-minus-a-day ago, I would consider trying to sweeten that 50/50 split.

I don't know who you've spoken with already (in essence, I may not be suggesting anything new), but given that your salesperson is from Sewell Lexus, I would try to have that discussion.

The well-documented noise problem that called for full replacement was not triggered by complete failure of the strut assembly, so I am not sure what constitutes "failure of the assembly" from their perspective, even though they are suggesting full replacement.
Old 04-19-16, 10:53 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by caha14
This is a tough one...

For starters, the 50/50 offer definitely shows goodwill and is a step in the right direction and something to appreciate. The dollar amount is high, though, and considering that this is a known issue (i.e., parts were redesigned, even though eventually the air struts would fail as a wear-and-tear item) and that you first posted about your purchase a month-minus-a-day ago, I would consider trying to sweeten that 50/50 split.

I don't know who you've spoken with already (in essence, I may not be suggesting anything new), but given that your salesperson is from Sewell Lexus, I would try to have that discussion.

The well-documented noise problem that called for full replacement was not triggered by complete failure of the strut assembly, so I am not sure what constitutes "failure of the assembly" from their perspective, even though they are suggesting full replacement.

I think the suggestion to replace comes from wanting to get to the bottom of that clunk I'd heard a few times. I thought control arms/bushings first and air shock second.

I've talked about getting more than 50/50 goodwill on said air shock and long story short, it's not happening.

I did pull up the cost of the part itself on various sites and just the air shock costs what they're willing to come down to. I'd basically just be paying for the part with them throwing in the labour. I'm considering having them do it and save the old part for me to hang on to in case an emergency repair is needed and I'm outside the 12 month warranty on the repair.
Old 04-20-16, 08:24 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Any more thoughts on this?
Old 04-20-16, 01:56 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Lexus air shocks are expensive but at 50/50 that seems to high.
Yeah that definitely seems high. I say wait awhile and then determine what you'd eventually be running. Once you commit you're pretty much stuck unless you don't mind losing the cost of repairs.
Old 04-20-16, 03:46 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Yeah that definitely seems high. I say wait awhile and then determine what you'd eventually be running. Once you commit you're pretty much stuck unless you don't mind losing the cost of repairs.
I don't understand. Other than the exhaust and perhaps an intake mod down the road. The car is staying stock.
Old 04-20-16, 04:43 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I don't understand. Other than the exhaust and perhaps an intake mod down the road. The car is staying stock.
What you'll be running suspension wise. For example nearly all the LS430s need the right rear changed, that's about a $1,500-1,800 repair. If another strut fails that's $3k plus in repairs. Some choose to go aftermarket air for about $5k at that pint or coilovers for much less. What I'm trying to say is don't drop $1k on a repair only to scrap the whole system later. And when you commit know that there's a chance you can easily pay several more thousand staying OEM. I replaced the right rear on mine only to have the new owner toss it for an airrunner. Could've saved some change.
Old 04-20-16, 04:45 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

What you'll be running suspension wise. For example nearly all the LS430s need the right rear changed, that's about a $1,500-1,800 repair. If another strut fails that's $3k plus in repairs. Some choose to go aftermarket air for about $5k at that pint or coilovers for much less. What I'm trying to say is don't drop $1k on a repair only to scrap the whole system later. And when you commit know that there's a chance you can easily pay several more thousand staying OEM. I replaced the right rear on mine only to have the new owner toss it for an airrunner. Could've saved some change.
Right rear's already been replaced OEM by dealer before I signed and took delivery.

So the right rear is a very common shock to go bad? This is the second time it's been replaced on this particular car.
Old 04-20-16, 04:48 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

HAH! Well considering that one went and you're on your second you should consider the possibility you have 2 more that can fail or that since the dreaded right rear is out of the way you may be out of the woods. I guess it's a flip of the coin for you.
Old 04-20-16, 05:22 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

HAH! Well considering that one went and you're on your second you should consider the possibility you have 2 more that can fail or that since the dreaded right rear is out of the way you may be out of the woods. I guess it's a flip of the coin for you.
So you're saying...?

Should I go with the Arnott for both rears the next time a rear shock fails? Let's consider that the RR has had two separate failures already.

I'd be replacing the LF shock due to a clunk (which in practice isn't majorly affecting anything right now and foreseeable future.) and if they can box up the shock that's on it now I just hang on to it in case I have a more pronounced failure on the replacement needing more immediate attention.

I plan on staying OEM air as close as possible.
Old 04-20-16, 06:12 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

How many miles do you have and what year is your car again?
Old 04-20-16, 06:18 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

How many miles do you have and what year is your car again?
Bought with 78k, closing in on 82k.
Old 04-20-16, 09:11 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

I have to say that with under 100k and having to replace 2 shocks and one coming up I'd definitely use the $950 towards either a coil over or aftermarket air suspension. Something doesn't seem right and I personally would keep throwing cash at it. Even though you didn't personally dish out any funds your car has required at least $5,000 in repairs and at that point you could've had all new adjustable suspension.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clunk from air shock.