LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 CPO LS 460 extended service agreement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-16, 08:59 PM
drjohkent
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool 2013 CPO LS 460 extended service agreement

I just bought a 2013 CPO LS 460L with 14,000 miles. Yeah!

It has just over one year on new car warranty and with the CPO get a total of 3 years until April 2019. The dealer financing department offered a Certified Vehicle Service Agreement for 1-5 years from $1300 to $3330 beyond the regular CPO warranty for extra cost. It can be used at any Lexus dealer.

I bought the 5 year agreement, but I have 30 days to cancel if I change my mind. This would cover the car until April 2024. I tend to keep my cars for 10 years. I am aware of the superb reliability of this car and that is one reason I bought it.

I do understand that the dealer is making money on this agreement. Wondering if it is worth the cost for the peace of mind it may give me.

Hoping to get some opinions from other members about the value of this agreement.

I'm thinking about some electronic issue going wrong down the road that might be costly.

Anyone have any major repair expenses care to share.
Old 04-13-16, 09:16 PM
XpediencY
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the exact same thing with my F Sport I just bought a little more than a month ago. I figure driving for 7 years, if the air suspension goes out, the replacement will more than pay for the cost of warranty.

In my opinion $3300 is pretty cheap for a total of 7 years, unlimited miles. (I think standard CPO is 2 years, not 3 years)

A friend paid about $8k for an extra 3 years/40k miles on an S63 AMG. lol
Old 04-13-16, 09:19 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Welcome to the CL forum. Congrats on your new car! Please post some pics.

There is a detailed discussion on another thread on extended warranties, with various potential repair issues discussed. Ultimately, it will come down to your comfort level with peace of mind Vs potential risks of repair. My take is that the car is very reliable (does your car have air suspension?), and getting an extended warranty thru 2024 may be excessive. I am estimating with this additional warranty you would have paid over $5000 for all the coverage!

I am a newbie too (bought my 2014 LWB last month), so will let the experts chime in.

Best wishes,
AC

Originally Posted by drjohkent
I just bought a 2013 CPO LS 460L with 14,000 miles. Yeah!

It has just over one year on new car warranty and with the CPO get a total of 3 years until April 2019. The dealer financing department offered a Certified Vehicle Service Agreement for 1-5 years from $1300 to $3330 beyond the regular CPO warranty for extra cost. It can be used at any Lexus dealer.

I bought the 5 year agreement, but I have 30 days to cancel if I change my mind. This would cover the car until April 2024. I tend to keep my cars for 10 years. I am aware of the superb reliability of this car and that is one reason I bought it.

I do understand that the dealer is making money on this agreement. Wondering if it is worth the cost for the peace of mind it may give me.

Hoping to get some opinions from other members about the value of this agreement.

I'm thinking about some electronic issue going wrong down the road that might be costly.

Anyone have any major repair expenses care to share.
Old 04-13-16, 09:22 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I paid 3500 for 5 year/100k when I bought my car last year. On my 09 Ls460 I had suspension issues, brake actuator and a fail starter all covered under the extended warranty. So therefore when I bought my 13 fsport I have to have the extended warranty for the peace of mind.

Last edited by AznRacer; 04-13-16 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-13-16, 10:49 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Totally worth it. Especially on a highly optioned car.
Old 04-13-16, 10:52 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Believe me the extended warranty will pay for itself and save you money in the long run.
Old 04-14-16, 12:07 AM
drjohkent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by XpediencY
I did the exact same thing with my F Sport I just bought a little more than a month ago. I figure driving for 7 years, if the air suspension goes out, the replacement will more than pay for the cost of warranty.

In my opinion $3300 is pretty cheap for a total of 7 years, unlimited miles. (I think standard CPO is 2 years, not 3 years)

A friend paid about $8k for an extra 3 years/40k miles on an S63 AMG. lol
Thanks for the input. Mine has air suspension. I was not aware that it could be a problem component. I can imagine it could be an expensive repair.

When I bought my CPO LS 460L last weekend, the salesman told me that Lexus had very recently changed the basic CPO warranty from 2 years to 2 years plus the remainder of the new car warranty. For me that becomes a 3 year warranty
Old 04-14-16, 12:08 AM
drjohkent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Believe me the extended warranty will pay for itself and save you money in the long run.
Thanks for your input
Old 04-14-16, 12:12 AM
drjohkent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by AznRacer
I think I paid 3500 for 5 year/100k when I bought my car last year. On my 09 Ls460 I had suspension issues, brake actuator and a fail starter all covered under the extended warranty. So therefore when I bought my 13 fsport I have to have the extended warranty for the peace of mind.
Thanks for your response. How old and mileage was your 2009 LS when the suspension problem developed?
Old 04-14-16, 12:17 AM
drjohkent
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Welcome to the CL forum. Congrats on your new car! Please post some pics.

There is a detailed discussion on another thread on extended warranties, with various potential repair issues discussed. Ultimately, it will come down to your comfort level with peace of mind Vs potential risks of repair. My take is that the car is very reliable (does your car have air suspension?), and getting an extended warranty thru 2024 may be excessive. I am estimating with this additional warranty you would have paid over $5000 for all the coverage!

I am a newbie too (bought my 2014 LWB last month), so will let the experts chime in.

Best wishes,
AC
Thanks for the tip about other threads. I will take a look. The coverage for 5 years extended warranty for me was just under $3300. I get the first 3 years for "free" as part of the CPO dealer program.
Old 04-14-16, 03:48 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

In that case, spending an extra 3300 for a Lexus extended warranty with no exceptions through 2024 sounds awesome. I would keep it.

Here's the link to another warranty thread.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...012-ls460.html

Thanks for the tip about other threads. I will take a look. The coverage for 5 years extended warranty for me was just under $3300. I get the first 3 years for "free" as part of the CPO dealer program.
Old 04-14-16, 04:47 AM
ozmangrant
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2007 LS 460L was a one owner ( dealership owner's own car) and I bought an extended. I only had it a year and the hard drive in the NAV went. $1,150 bill.... $0 out of pocket. So yeah I think it's not too bad a deal for a proper ESA.
Old 04-14-16, 06:33 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for your response. How old and mileage was your 2009 LS when the suspension problem developed?
I had control arms problem which developers around 110k. My brake acutautor and abs pump went bad around 90k and the stater fail at 70k. The warranty paid to repairs everything and it came out to roughly $14k. So you can see the warranty pay for itself if anything would ever happen.
Old 04-14-16, 11:52 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That was a good price for the warranty.

You basically have comprehensive coverage on a car which probably cost you over $50,000 for the next EIGHT years with no mileage restrictions on it. I'm a CPO Manager at a Lexus dealership so I'm biased, but compared to any other car in its' class that's very cheap coverage.

I've also seen these cars have occasional very expensive failures.
Old 04-14-16, 08:01 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rld14
That was a good price for the warranty.

You basically have comprehensive coverage on a car which probably cost you over $50,000 for the next EIGHT years with no mileage restrictions on it. I'm a CPO Manager at a Lexus dealership so I'm biased, but compared to any other car in its' class that's very cheap coverage.

I've also seen these cars have occasional very expensive failures.
I bought the similar warranty 5yrs unlimited mile for my 2011LS460L for $3525. It was higher because I was out of factory warranty but within certified warranty. I was quoted $2500 for same if I was within factory warranty. If you shop around you can save about 800 plus you won't pay taxes if you buy from out of state. I bought from Shreveport Lexus where as my local dealer in Florida quoted $5050 plus tax for the same

Quick Reply: 2013 CPO LS 460 extended service agreement