LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-17, 03:03 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Well, it's clearly a different seal system (two rows of rubber vs one).
Yes, Keith, but why was the change needed? Is there a high failure rate in the ES forums? Sorry, I didn't go and look, but based on our personal experience the ES sunroof seals out rain just as well. Not sure why the LS had to deviate from a proven design unless the approach on the ES, for some reason, doesn't work as well for larger glass sizes.

For now, I'm not concerned about our sunroof, other than it being unsightly (which looks a lot worse in the photo than it does in person). Still surprised at some of the niggling issues on a flagship vehicle, such as sunroof rubber and glovebox issues. These are not exactly bleeding-edge advancements being introduced and it doesn't really make sense to me for issues to arise in these areas of the car.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 09-04-17 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-04-17, 03:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,520 Likes on 1,818 Posts

I think the choice was likely to reduce wind turbulence. The exterior part of the seal on the LS is a lot lower profile.
The following users liked this post:
timinfla2 (11-11-17)
Old 10-12-17, 11:14 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was denied the sunroof issue and my front laminated glass that was yellowing at the to by the regional rep. Called corporate and then it was taken care of as a good will.
Old 10-13-17, 07:13 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I think it would be great if people who had good expeiences with "case managers" at Lexus Corporate would reveal the name of the person who handled their case. I and others have had some very poor experiences with some of these people.
Old 10-13-17, 08:54 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

My service manager said he would NOT replace my deteriorating rubber surround so I asked him to have the factory service (corporate) rep take a look at it and guess what...... Never heard back from either one of them. This is very poor customer relations on a car like Lexus. The advisor insulted my intelligence by trying to convince me this was "normal" wear....... These "clueless counter clerks" are horrible.
The service manager said as long as it was NOT leaking Lexus would NOT replace it...... This was on a 2012 CPO and when I purchased the car the salesman said it would be covered under warranty BUT the service manager said NO when I went to have it done.
Old 10-15-17, 09:51 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't remember the name of the guy that helped me at corporate. The dealer was very understanding, and scheduled the date with the regional rep before I left. She came in and denied the sunroof and the front windows that were yellowed at the top. I called Corporate and told him my situation. He called back in a couple days and said they will good will it. Got them replaced and all is well. It does help that this my 6th Lexus.
Old 10-16-17, 07:17 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Well, this person was different than mine - it was a she. No help whatsoever. I think her name was Lisa(?)
Old 10-16-17, 05:16 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

The sad thing is that Lexus knows they have a problem and in their "RELENTLESS PURSUIT OF PERFECTION" they should just replace the rubber surround (sunroof) for ANYONE who complains about it. This "replace or no replace" depending on which way the wind blows is total BS on a luxury car like Lexus....... My 2005 Ford Explorer (winter beater) that sits outside all year does not have this problem.
The "rubber formulation" on these surrounds is from a "bad batch" and the new surrounds prove this, so Lexus should go back to the supplier and make them pay for replacements. Most Lexus owners really don’t care about this problem and most of them do not even wash or detail their own cars so Lexus does not get complaints from them.... PLUS if they go to my dealership they will try to make them believe that this deterioration is "NORMAL" for a Lexus that is over three years old and as long as the roof doesn’t leak they will NOT replace it.
Old 10-16-17, 06:03 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I can't recall if I posted a year and a half ago in this thread or another. But anyway, I purchased a used 2013 F Sport that was originally out of Dallas, Texas in January of 2016. The sunroof rubber was in bad shape when I purchased it. A few months after I bought it I took it to Keyes Lexus in Van Nuys, California. They replaced the sunroof with no problems--no questions asked--they just did it under warranty. I posted photos of it at the time. It's a shame that others have not had a similar experience.
Old 06-13-18, 06:44 PM
Dolph1
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just had the dealer replace my sunroof under warranty for the cracking molding, They didn’t think twice about it. However, at the first dealer I mentioned this to a few month’s ago I had no such luck getting it replaced under warranty. Something I picked up on this site was to always try another dealer if the first one says no cigar.
The replacent was done under the new car warranty. I have a 13 with 36k.
Old 06-14-18, 08:37 AM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

My sunroof seal also has this problem to an extent. I notice that when I tilt the sunroof up that I get a rattling/vibration if I play music with a decent amount of bass.
Old 06-16-18, 05:30 PM
gs4mock2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out the cost of a new rubber for the sunroof

Asked my service advisor at Lexus of Brooklyn how much to replace the sunroof rubber on my 2014 ls 460 . He told me $610. For the sunroof that comes with the new rubber and $149 for install.
list price for shop will be cheaper. So if mines gets too bad I know it going cost like $500 to fix
Old 06-27-18, 09:48 PM
DerrickM
Advanced

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts

Mine was just replaced under warranty. The new sunroof seems to have a different design, like polypropylene or something on the part attached to the glass. It's thinner, and harder than soft rubber. (The part that was cracking and flaking on the old ones--NOT the soft outer seal).

I said it in another thread, but kudos to Lexus for an amazing first dealer experience. I picked up my car with new brakes, new sunroof, second oil change, safety inspection, and new wiper blades, and they CHARGED ME NOTHING!

Old 06-28-18, 06:39 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

You guys who have had the cracking surround rubber replaced on the sunroof are lucky that you have dealt with a good dealer..... The Lexus service manager in NJ where I purchased my CPO from will not replace the rubber because he says it is not leaking even though when I told the salesman about it when I picked up he said that the cracking rubber would be covered under warranty.
I love the car but this NJ Lexus dealer has NOT lived up to my "standards of satisfaction" on a luxury car like Lexus..... VERY SAD! My 14 year old Ford Explorer (winter beater) that sits outside all year does not have this issue on the sunroof.
Old 06-28-18, 07:28 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

where are you taking in NJ? I know Lexus of cherry hill is a good place, I bought my ISF from them brand new. The folks that replaced mine was lexus of cherry hill. if everything fails call lexus corporate.
Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
You guys who have had the cracking surround rubber replaced on the sunroof are lucky that you have dealt with a good dealer..... The Lexus service manager in NJ where I purchased my CPO from will not replace the rubber because he says it is not leaking even though when I told the salesman about it when I picked up he said that the cracking rubber would be covered under warranty.
I love the car but this NJ Lexus dealer has NOT lived up to my "standards of satisfaction" on a luxury car like Lexus..... VERY SAD! My 14 year old Ford Explorer (winter beater) that sits outside all year does not have this issue on the sunroof.

Quick Reply: Dealer denied replacing Sunroof rubber surround under warranty