LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Right front wheel bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 01:22 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Right front wheel bearing

I replaced mine at 115,000 miles a few months ago...pretty strait forward, easy job. Well I had my car in the shop today and sure enough there was a little play in the right front wheel...the bearing is a little loose. The first time I replaced it was because of noise. But this one is now loose. I only have 8,000 miles on the bearing, it's a Beck Arnley I bought online for $160...do you think it's just a cheap bearing or do I have something going on? I figure it's probably just a cheap bearing, but we're talking about replacing two bearings in 3 months.

The one I just put in today is a Toyo...never heard of it, but it was quite a bit more money ($320).

Anyone else have any bearing problems? And has anyone ever heard of a situation that would cause one bearing to fail prematurely? Hopefully this is it for me as far as bearings go. I'm hoping Beck Arnley will give me some sort of credit on the part that just failed, especially if this is going to be a recurring thing.
Old 04-07-16, 01:35 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I vote crappy aftermarket bearing. I hear stories from my friends of brand new but extremely crappy aftermarket parts they keep buying from Rockauto.

Also remember a lot of issues on the Acura board with certain aftermarket suspension parts failing after a year.

How much more is a brand new OEM bearing online from one of the websites I linked in a different thread?
Old 04-07-16, 01:41 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I replaced mine at 115,000 miles a few months ago...pretty strait forward, easy job. Well I had my car in the shop today and sure enough there was a little play in the right front wheel...the bearing is a little loose. The first time I replaced it was because of noise. But this one is now loose. I only have 8,000 miles on the bearing, it's a Beck Arnley I bought online for $160...do you think it's just a cheap bearing or do I have something going on? I figure it's probably just a cheap bearing, but we're talking about replacing two bearings in 3 months.

The one I just put in today is a Toyo...never heard of it, but it was quite a bit more money ($320).

Anyone else have any bearing problems? And has anyone ever heard of a situation that would cause one bearing to fail prematurely? Hopefully this is it for me as far as bearings go. I'm hoping Beck Arnley will give me some sort of credit on the part that just failed, especially if this is going to be a recurring thing.
I'm thinking that B/A has to have a warranty on the part, perhaps 1yr/10 or 12k.
I hate to hear about that, but I'm also glad you were able to detect the issue and fix it right away.
B/A, from what I understand, makes pretty good aftermarket parts. From research, I've also learned that, at one point in time, they were very reputable across the board, were as now, they have parts being made in different countries and therefore the quality varies.
These cars are quite heavy up front (as im sure you know)t and imagine a "less than adequate/faulty" bearing would show through in a short period of time.
How are those control arms holding up?
I cant recall which ones you replaced (the UCA's or LCA's), but im wondering if the set that you didn't replace have any "bearing" on the bearing (probably not, just a question).
Lastly, what symptoms were you experiencing that prompted you to take a look at your bearing?
Old 04-07-16, 01:56 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
I vote crappy aftermarket bearing. I hear stories from my friends of brand new but extremely crappy aftermarket parts they keep buying from Rockauto.

Also remember a lot of issues on the Acura board with certain aftermarket suspension parts failing after a year.

How much more is a brand new OEM bearing online from one of the websites I linked in a different thread?
Well I hope you're right about the bearing...I'm leaning towards feeling that way as well.

The guy at the parts store told me the Toyo was OE, and the reason why it was so expensive, but when I got the box the back of it said Toyoda (which I thought was pretty hilarious). But I won't be laughing if I have to replace it next month. He did give me a three year warranty on it, so I figure I'm covered either way.
Old 04-07-16, 02:00 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I'm thinking that B/A has to have a warranty on the part, perhaps 1yr/10 or 12k.
I hate to hear about that, but I'm also glad you were able to detect the issue and fix it right away.
B/A, from what I understand, makes pretty good aftermarket parts. From research, I've also learned that, at one point in time, they were very reputable across the board, were as now, they have parts being made in different countries and therefore the quality varies.
These cars are quite heavy up front (as im sure you know)t and imagine a "less than adequate/faulty" bearing would show through in a short period of time.
How are those control arms holding up?
I cant recall which ones you replaced (the UCA's or LCA's), but im wondering if the set that you didn't replace have any "bearing" on the bearing (probably not, just a question).
Lastly, what symptoms were you experiencing that prompted you to take a look at your bearing?
I just looked and it's a 12 month, twelve thousand mile warranty on the bearing. The only problem is I bought it off of Amazon and I just replaced it with another brand because what was I supposed to do? Mail it back and have my car on the lift for three weeks? I guess that's what I get when I order things online. So as of right now this wheel bearing has cost me $500, and I put it in both times myself...imagine if I paid someone else to do it?

I wonder if they'll give me a credit? I'd rather that than have them send me a crappy wheel bearing that I already replaced with another brand.

Speaking of aftermarket parts, I replaced all my upper control arms and two lowers with aftermarket parts...so far so good. I checked the arms today and they look great. And I hope it stays that way because they were Beck Arnley

Last edited by Doublebase; 04-07-16 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 02:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I'm with Rhambler. You really have to be careful with some of these aftermarket parts. They are often manufactured in China and there are no, as in zero, quality control considerations.

This has been a problem with airline parts, which is way more scarier.
Old 04-07-16, 07:40 PM
gjw109
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a noticeable front noise(groaning) when going about 40 MPH, more prevalent on the drivers side. The dealer replaced both front wheel bearings., and it was covered under my CPO. They said they always replace both of them, as the wear is the same and the other one will probably be next. I think common practice is to replace both at the same time. As far as Beck/Arnley parts, I think they are good quality as I use them on my 650i BMW. I would see if Amazon will credit you for the bad unit. Good luck getting the part returned for credit.
Old 04-07-16, 07:52 PM
gjw109
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Used to work in the aviation business an you are right nospinzone, aviation parts that are not approved is a big issue. The "SUPS", or Suspected Unapproved Parts are a big headache for the airlines and the FAA to control. Automotive parts do not have the scrutiny, so you do have to be careful who you buy from.