LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Traditional Engine "Advantage" of LS460 against modern "Twin Turbo" engines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-16, 08:47 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Traditional Engine "Advantage" of LS460 against modern "Twin Turbo" engines?

Full disclosure: I am a TOTAL engine noob... my other car is a 15 year old SC430 with a standard V8.

Since I recently got a 2013 LS, which I plan to drive 10 - 15 years (seriously), I wanted the most reliable luxury car I could afford.

It seems many of the competitors (BMW, Merc, Audi) have moved to more modern "Twin Turbo" engines.

Is it safe to say that our "traditional" engine will be more reliable over the long-haul than these modern whiz-bang "turbo" and "supercharged" engines?

Please take it easy on me, I'm totally clueless when it comes to modern engine technologies.

Thank you
Old 03-31-16, 08:56 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Google the problems that twin turbo 750 BMW car have.
Naturally aspirated motor will alway outlast a turbo motor given the same care.
MB and BMW don't buom cars to last. If they did they would be done on sales. Most of their cars are made for lease programs, then they make some more money on people who buy them after that, God knows who those people are. So it's a win win for them.

As for true car enthusiast on a budget, it's up to them to do their research and find out how much crap they are willing to deal with.
I chose a Ls for its reliability. Sure I wanted a s550 or a 750li and I could've had it. But there is no way I am wasting time or money on a car that is not worth it because the company that made them didn't think it's important to last for longer than a few years without major repairs.
I feel like I've said this before.
Old 03-31-16, 10:08 AM
jasone36
Instructor

I just stumbled across this Car and Driver article on the topic, probably a worthwhile read for me, although it's a generic article not specific to the LS460:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-gri...s-are-winning/
Old 04-01-16, 08:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I'd say this engine should do better over the long haul compared to the turbo charged trend you're seeing now. I know with the BMW's they are having all sorts of problems with their engines right now. I talked to a factory rep a month ago and he said they are replacing engines, when I asked him which ones he said, all of them. Those things drink oil...add that to the demands of a turbo=disaster.

The LS engine appears to be an engine that enjoys an easier life than some. It takes 9.1 quarts of oil, it always seems to be idling at lower rpm's and its size is able to produce power without forced induction, therefore it should run cooler.

Who knows how long they'll last? They did have the early valve spring recall issue, so that will have to be monitored long term. And there have been a very small number of people that have had the heads replaced. And direct injection engines are relatively new to mass production regular gasoline passenger cars, so we don't know if they'll stand the test of time. So far there have been a few members on here with high mileage - without engine problems - and I don't think I've heard of many members that have had their engines fail, so that's a good sign. We'll see how it goes, but I think it's safe to say that those smaller forced induction engines work harder, and won't last as long.
Old 04-02-16, 12:56 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

a bmw 7-series is what I call a 5 year car. it will give you 3 years of reliable service, a year of not so reliable service, then a year of really unreliable service, and after that, god have mercy on your soul..

the Ls460 may not be the fastest luxury sedan, but its rock solid. if seeing 20+ year old Ls400s running around all over the place is any indication on how reliable the LS is, which it is. will the 460 have the lifespan of the 400? we don't know yet, but it should be, maybe even longer.
Old 04-02-16, 01:20 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
The Ls460 may not be the fastest luxury sedan, but its rock solid. if seeing 20+ year old Ls400s running around all over the place is any indication on how reliable the LS is, which it is. will the 460 have the lifespan of the 400? we don't know yet, but it should be, maybe even longer.
The reason you have many 25yr old LS 400 running around is the same reason you see many 25yr old W126 Benz and E32 BMW. A strong, well built, if overengineered base car combined with little extraneous gadgetry.

I'm not so sure the same will ring true for the LS 460, which even base config outclasses any previous LS models. This follows the pattern of the german marque's.
Old 04-02-16, 01:44 PM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

I see a lot more 25 year old Ls400s on the road then w126s and E32s. well, more W126s then E32s.

seriously though.. whens the last time you saw a 1991 bmw 740iL on the road?
Old 04-02-16, 01:47 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually, I saw 3 on the way home the other day. One was clearly trashed and ready for the wrecking yard. The other two were clean examples however.
Old 04-02-16, 04:56 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

The first year Volvo had a turbo was 1981. It was oil cooled only with no intercooler. The new cars rolled in on the carrier truck and one with a turbo was belching black smoke soon as you started it up. The service manager hated me so he stuck me with it. I had to change probably one of the first turbo's in a main stream car in the country. It wasn't too bad but warranty only paid me peanuts for my time. They all blew up within the warranty period until they started coming with oil and water cooling. The intercoolers came then also. In 1984 or 5 it was all straightened out and they lasted for about 75 to 100k. Some of them whined like an airplane. Of course Volvo said they all do that and declined to replace them. Later than sooner the turbos and oil etc, got better and they started lasting upwards of 200k. I would not want to buy a German turbo car today.
Old 04-03-16, 02:16 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

[QUOTE=Stereorob;9431730]I see a lot more 25 year old Ls400s on the road then w126s and E32s. well, more W126s then E32s.

seriously though.. whens the last time you saw a 1991 bmw 740iL on the road?[/QUOTE

I live in Ny and I never see and 735-740 cars which I love dearly .
126 is also rare. And trust me I spot every one I see because I love them and am looking for the right 420-560 car. Most of those went to the junkyard because owners didn't change the timing chain guides at 100k.
You know what I dot see at all anymore?? Bmw 745-750s. They used to be all over the place. Almost none to be seen around these days.
Old 04-04-16, 07:57 AM
jasone36
Instructor

I agree, the few "classic" 7 series BMWs and S class Mercs I still see on the road are typically meticulously maintained, and it normally shows. I really respect those type of owners.

All the "regular executive-class" daily drivers from the mid 1990's have been long taken out of service... due to maintenance concerns I'm sure.
Old 04-04-16, 09:39 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by jasone36
I agree, the few "classic" 7 series BMWs and S class Mercs I still see on the road are typically meticulously maintained, and it normally shows. I really respect those type of owners.

All the "regular executive-class" daily drivers from the mid 1990's have been long taken out of service... due to maintenance concerns I'm sure.
I've seen several late 80's MB 560's and BMW 7-series in my area and its seems like they came off the showroom floor. Just looking at them you can tell they were well maintained and they still turn heads.
Old 04-06-16, 12:58 PM
AKoch
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got about 80k and 4 years on the BMW 750. I've been lucky so far, no oil consumption and I have not had any issues in 4 years since I bought it new. I still have a couple of years of warranty left. But I am sure watching it for any hints or signs, if anything serious develops I will be looking forward to getting back to the LS. If it behaves, I'll see how long can I squeeze out of it I normally keep my cars for as long as they keep going.
Old 04-06-16, 04:54 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Speaking of the 126.
Just picked up this 90 420sel. Good records. Good owner. Pristine inside, a solid 8 from outside.
Old 04-07-16, 10:47 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The 126 is a classic and my favorite body style. Always bring back good memories when I see one.

Quick Reply: Traditional Engine "Advantage" of LS460 against modern "Twin Turbo" engines?