LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What wheel specs for a no rub, no camber 21" setup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-16, 11:47 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What wheel specs for a no rub, no camber 21" setup?

I'm looking to get some Work Zeast ST1 21" rims. I contacted Work directly and they said I would be best with 20x8.5 ET28 on the front and 20x9.5 ET33 for the rear!

Well for a start I don't want 20's, and I think those widths and offsets sound a bit reserved.

What setup is a guaranteed no rub, no camber needed with stock air suspension set to about a 1 finger gap between arch and tire. But at the same time will fill out the arches and allow for a decent lip on the rears?

Thanks
Old 03-16-16, 12:02 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Have you looked through this thread yet?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ls-thread.html
Old 03-16-16, 12:22 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Have you looked through this thread yet?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ls-thread.html
Yeah, it's very light on 21" rims and a lot of people with rubbing / extreme configs
Old 03-16-16, 12:33 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default What wheel specs for a no rub, no camber 21" setup?

Originally Posted by jimxms2
Yeah, it's very light on 21" rims and a lot of people with rubbing / extreme configs
Plenty of responses with folks not rubbing or extreme configs on 22s. If you match the offset and widths of the 22" posts it would apply to 21s as your corresponding tire sizes would have the same overall diameter if you are using the plus sizing method
Old 03-16-16, 02:50 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Plenty of responses with folks not rubbing or extreme configs on 22s. If you match the offset and widths of the 22" posts it would apply to 21s as your corresponding tire sizes would have the same overall diameter if you are using the plus sizing method
I'll have another look over the thread, but tbh there seems to be a fair bit of contradictory info:

LS Year/Model: 2012 Sport
Wheel Brand: Lexani
Wheel Model: CVX-44
Wheel Size Front: 22x9.0
Wheel Size Rear: 22x10.5
Wheel Finish: Black Machined
Lip size front (if applicable):
Lip size rear (if applicable):
Lip finish (if applicable):Polished
Offset Front:35
Offset Rear: 38
Hub Bore size (if known):
Hub Centric Rings Required? Y/N: Y
Tire Size Front: 265/30/22
Tire Size Rear: 295/25/22
Tire Make/Model:Continental Extream DWS
Tire Air Pressure Preference:38
Suspension:Stock Air With Data Systems Controler
Fenders Rolled/Altered: No
Does the setup rub?: No Currentlly Lowered and Driven at Level 4 in front and level 3 in rear
LS Year/Model: 2008/SWB
Wheel Brand: Vossen
Wheel Model: CV-1
Wheel Size Front: 22x9
Wheel Size Rear: 22x10.5
Wheel Finish: silver
Lip size front (if applicable): N/A
Lip size rear (if applicable): N/A
Lip finish (if applicable)olished
Offset Front: 35+
Offset Rear: 38+
Hub Bore size (if known):
Hub Centric Rings Required? Y/N: No
Tire Size Front: 245/30
Tire Size Rear: 295/25
Tire Make/Model: Conti DWS
Tire Air Pressure Preference: 40-ish
Suspension: Tanabe springs
Fenders Rolled/Altered: not yet
Does the setup rub?: YES, rear inner side with passengers in back
At the end of the day I'm not looking for hellaflush, but I don't want to shell out $3k on new rims only to go "ah *****, shudda gone for the other offsets".

Rubbing may not be an issue for some as they have super smooth roads, or rock hard suspension. Here in the UK we have crappy roads and I need to factor that in too :/
Old 03-16-16, 05:13 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I'll have another look over the thread, but tbh there seems to be a fair bit of contradictory info:At the end of the day I'm not looking for hellaflush, but I don't want to shell out $3k on new rims only to go "ah *****, shudda gone for the other offsets".

Rubbing may not be an issue for some as they have super smooth roads, or rock hard suspension. Here in the UK we have crappy roads and I need to factor that in too :/
Keep in mind tire manufacturers have different dimensions despite being the same size. I had 305/25/22 rears and never rubbed unless I was lowered down on my air suspension controller. If I had 295s, it wouldn't have rubbed
Old 03-16-16, 06:39 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll have another look over the thread, but tbh there seems to be a fair bit of contradictory info:

At the end of the day I'm not looking for hellaflush, but I don't want to shell out $3k on new rims only to go "ah *****, shudda gone for the other offsets".

Don't know what I'm missing but how is that contradictory?!? Looks like very good info. to me. Cars are 4 years apart and the ride heights are clearly different. Might want to compare apples to apples.

I think you need to take the time and do your homework as well as work with your vendor / dealer to ensure a proper fitment. If they're reputable I don't see why they wouldn't be able to give you proper guidance as well as accept a return for providing you wheels that won't fit your application.
Old 03-17-16, 03:27 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyll
Don't know what I'm missing but how is that contradictory?!? Looks like very good info. to me. Cars are 4 years apart and the ride heights are clearly different. Might want to compare apples to apples.

I think you need to take the time and do your homework as well as work with your vendor / dealer to ensure a proper fitment. If they're reputable I don't see why they wouldn't be able to give you proper guidance as well as accept a return for providing you wheels that won't fit your application.
I'm special ordering these wheels, so even though the vendor will help me make a decision, I have the final say on what is ordered. Then it's 7 weeks for them to be made and arrive from Japan.

I've looked though that thread 3 times and although I have some ideas for the correct size, there just aren't enough rides with the same setup and no rubbing for me to be 100% sure that I'm going to be ok.

I'm thinking...
Front: 21x9 et35 245/35
Rear: 21x10.5 et38 285/30

I'll be running stock air without a controller, so will adjust the height manually and spend all my time in sport mode so it's a little firm over dips.

How does this sound?
Old 03-17-16, 09:37 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Personally, I don't like the offsets in the 30s, especially in the high 30s... to not be hellafrush or herrasunk, I would go with somewhere along the lines of mid 20s for offsets... jmo
Old 03-17-16, 07:22 PM
PMIRO2
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 21" Works. Original offsets ordered per vendor suggestion were 21x9.5 25mm R disk Front 21x10.5 17mm W disk Rear. The rears did not clear the caliper and were sent back. I believe we went with a 10" rear with a higher offset. I'll look up the revised rear size tomorrow and post if I can find it. I am not slammed, but dropped on bc racing coilovers with swift springs. Fronts rub only if I am turning while going up a steep incline. Rears are fine. I am not hellaflush or even really close, but my biggest concern was not requiring fender mods and the ability to have passengers in the rear without rubbing.

245 fronts and 275 rears. Not a ton of options for tires in 21".

Last edited by PMIRO2; 03-17-16 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-18-16, 02:45 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

You realize the zeast are slightly different when ordering because you have to choose the level of concave you want. That will also determine if your wheels will fit around the brakes. I'd give you the legit answer on what would fit but since I have bbk it places my caliper further away from the hub which allows for more concave faces. Stock brakes places the caliper close to the hub and you can't run a crazy concave face. You may need to run one with less. You're also wanting a decent lip which is hard to get in a stock bodied LS with no camber and concave style wheel. So many variables in what you want.
Old 03-18-16, 02:54 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by lbintab
You realize the zeast are slightly different when ordering because you have to choose the level of concave you want. That will also determine if your wheels will fit around the brakes. I'd give you the legit answer on what would fit but since I have bbk it places my caliper further away from the hub which allows for more concave faces. Stock brakes places the caliper close to the hub and you can't run a crazy concave face. You may need to run one with less. You're also wanting a decent lip which is hard to get in a stock bodied LS with no camber and concave style wheel. So many variables in what you want.
Argh this is blowing my mind I guess I would like a little bit of concave and lip, or if pushed to choose, mostly lip.

Work UK haven't even told me about concave levels yet.
Old 03-18-16, 06:27 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Argh this is blowing my mind I guess I would like a little bit of concave and lip, or if pushed to choose, mostly lip.

Work UK haven't even told me about concave levels yet.
The wheels look much better with a concave face.
Old 03-18-16, 06:32 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Here's some differences. Also you won't get a crazy lip regardless because the spokes wrap around the step lip. You can't get it with reverse lips. Good luck on what you decide.

Here's my rear.