LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Snow/Winter Tire Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-16, 02:07 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Snow/Winter Tire Recommendations

Just got a great deal on a set of five F Sport OEM wheels: http://www.ebay.com/itm/141918782144

Now I'm looking for recommendations for true snow/winter tires (245/45R19). Will be running these during winter in Southern California's San Bernardino mountains to avoid all but the highest-level chain requirements. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what works best for the LS?

Many thanks!

Last edited by Scrutator; 03-06-16 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 02:36 PM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I got the Continental Wintercontact SI from tire rack for my 2007 LS460 Rwd. I've had them on since October (average temp less than 50 degrees) and the ride is great. On dry/wet roads the handling and breaking is predictable and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between them and all season tires. On the highway the tires are quite and don't drone at all.
As for actual snow driving, the most snow I've driven with them is 4-5 inch depth snow. On my drive home I have to come home a steady incline road for about 2-3 miles. With about 4-5 inches of snow on untreated roads the tires did great. Only minor tire slipping after being stopped in traffic on an incline (snow mode of course).
Breaking was well controlled and predictable.
The Continental Wintercontact SI is an updated model this year. I was going to go with the blizzaks but I read on tire rack that the continetal tire this replaces did better on tire rack tests than the blizzaks. I figured it was worth the shot and have been very happy.
This is my first set of dedicated winter tires so I can't personally compare them to others.
Old 03-06-16, 04:32 PM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been using Bridgestone Blizzaks. Great Ice traction.
I get them from Tirerack and have my dealer put them on.
Got the Michelins once, and I think the Bridgestones are better.

Last edited by joeyb; 03-06-16 at 04:36 PM.
Old 03-06-16, 05:02 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

I should say that the F Sport wheels are 19" x 8". The standard size for the wheel is 245/45R19 so that limits the options somewhat. Seems to rule out the Blizzak and others. Looks like the Michelin X-Ice XI3 might be the better option in this size.
Old 03-06-16, 06:41 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I've never put snows on my LS, but I have always had them on my wife's RWD Infinitis and Jaguar over many winters. I have used both Blizzaks and various Michelins (every few years they seem to change the name). Both tires worked very well and I would recommend either brand. I guess just go with whichever gives you the best price.

One year I got some brand with metal studs. Never again. Not only did they not work as well as either the Bridgestone or Michelin, but they were noisy as hell and didn't last as long.
Old 03-07-16, 08:44 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you want arguably the best non studded winter tire, then look no further than the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2's. They are a lot more pricier than Blizzaks, or X-ice 3's but are totally worth it. Definitely the best winter tire in my opinion and a good chunk, if not the majority of the internet.
Old 03-07-16, 02:52 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Just ordered the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 245/45R19 at $291 each with free delivery. Not surprisingly, they are not available in Los Angeles.

Thanks, all!
Old 03-08-16, 10:38 AM
Scrutator
Pole Position

The sales-guy called this morning and suggested the non-studded (but studable) Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 in the 245/45R19 size instead of the R2 for the same price. Said it is a higher-performing tire over the R2. I said to go ahead and send me the 8s.
Old 03-08-16, 01:50 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Ah, good choice of tire with either.
Just as an FYI, the Hakka 8's are going to be louder than the Hakka R2's. The R2's also might be slightly better in ice while 8's will be better in deeper snow.
Either way they're all very good snow tires.
Old 03-08-16, 02:06 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
Ah, good choice of tire with either.
Just as an FYI, the Hakka 8's are going to be louder than the Hakka R2's. The R2's also might be slightly better in ice while 8's will be better in deeper snow.
Either way they're all very good snow tires.
Well I have to believe a Minnesotan knows his snow tires. I will definitely consider those next fall when I have to replace my wife's snow tires.

Actually I really should have replaced them last fall, but my wife has now retired so she doesn't have to go out like she used to have to do. Some may call me cheap, but I prefer frugal. Fortunately this winter was very mild, in stark contrast to last winter.

Of course I knew it would be a mild winter because I bought a snow rake for the roof and a new more powerful snow blower!
Old 03-08-16, 02:37 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Thanks for the affirmation on my purchase, Enoch861.

The tires should arrive next week; however this being March and me not yet living full-time in the mountains it's gonna be next winter till I have a chance to try them out. Bought the ATEQ QuickSet TPMS reset tool so I'll be all ready to go.

My AWD with M+S tires got me out of putting chains on my last trip down the mountain. Looking forward to trying 'em out.
Old 03-08-16, 07:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

There are no better winter tires than Hakkas. I don't have them, but know those who do and also read many reports on them. They crush the competition.
Old 03-09-16, 01:34 PM
enoch861
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Well I have to believe a Minnesotan knows his snow tires. I will definitely consider those next fall when I have to replace my wife's snow tires.

Actually I really should have replaced them last fall, but my wife has now retired so she doesn't have to go out like she used to have to do. Some may call me cheap, but I prefer frugal. Fortunately this winter was very mild, in stark contrast to last winter.

Of course I knew it would be a mild winter because I bought a snow rake for the roof and a new more powerful snow blower!
Haha, usually do get a lot of snow, so snow tires are a must. But in all honesty the Hakka's aren't what one would call an affordable tire. I look at them as one would look at ultra high performance summer tire at 300 bucks a tire. But at the same time you do get what you pay for. They're tremendous tires.
It's unfortunate we didn't have any snow this winter. It was an overly warm very mild winter here, so I didn't get a chance to even see how the LS performs in snow. In fact I didn't even install snow tires. I'll make sure to buy some winters for next season though.

Originally Posted by Scrutator
Thanks for the affirmation on my purchase, Enoch861.

The tires should arrive next week; however this being March and me not yet living full-time in the mountains it's gonna be next winter till I have a chance to try them out. Bought the ATEQ QuickSet TPMS reset tool so I'll be all ready to go.

My AWD with M+S tires got me out of putting chains on my last trip down the mountain. Looking forward to trying 'em out.
Let us know how the Hakka's treat you. You should have absolutely no issues getting down or up snowy hills with them. Looks like you're set for the next season though!

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There are no better winter tires than Hakkas. I don't have them, but know those who do and also read many reports on them. They crush the competition.
I'll definitely be getting a set next winter.
Old 03-15-16, 03:16 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Hakkas arrived today. It's 82 degrees and sunny. As they say: Winter is coming!

Old 09-30-21, 01:25 PM
THE_CEO
Pole Position

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

Bump!

Any new tire recommendations since 2016...

Quick Reply: Snow/Winter Tire Recommendations