LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

About to buy 2008 ls 460. Need some guidance

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-21, 09:48 AM
Teammelvis
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default About to buy 2008 ls 460. Need some guidance

Hello all. Long time lurker. I’m thinking of trading my 4Runner in and found a nice 2008 ls 460 with under 60k miles at a local dealership for 14.5k.

I have done a lot of research and know the control arm bushings, the brake actuator, and the ML amp are the big things that go out.

the car was initially traded in (per the Lexus website) after they got the abs light on and Lexus recommended they change the actuator.

I told that to the dealership and they said they replaced it. I got the work order and it looks like they replaced part 47070-50040, which looks like it’s just the pump. I think the actuator 44510-50070. There isn’t any lights on the dash (just test drive it) but I know lights can be cleared. They also replaced all front control arms.

My question is, Is it possible that a) their part took care of the problem, or is it more likely that b) it just temporarily solved a huge issue and eventually the actuator needs replaced (soon) too? If so I’ll ask if they will actually replace the actuator.
Old 09-15-21, 10:57 AM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

So I am in the market as well, what I have observed is the pump replacement is the first step and if it fails again, then they you would need the actuator. Also look for the ZLZ recall is completed against it. The 07-12 had the sticky door panels and you wont notice unless its on a hot afternoon or in a high humid day. If its not completed, pass on the LS. Ask the dealership to complete that and replace the brake actuator if you still want to buy it else you're gonna be on the hook.
These are guaranteed to happen in the LS, its just matter of when.
The following users liked this post:
Teammelvis (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 10:58 AM
Teammelvis
Driver School Candidate

Thank you this is good info. I 'm not sure they will go back and do the actuator now since they just put it back together from doing the pump, with the way the market is. Might just pass
Old 09-15-21, 01:43 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Perhaps you should check into an aftermarket warranty which will cover the actuator and other issues that may arise with an almost 14 year old car. I would highly recommend it.
Teammelvis (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 01:57 PM
Caflashbob
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 154 Posts

Great car. Roll the dice imo. I bought the same car with the same miles 4 years ago. Was 54 now 114k

worth the hassles to drive a truly great car. Spoils you.
Teammelvis (09-15-21)
Old 09-15-21, 02:37 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 325 Posts

In my experience the brake actuator is what fails first. When a leak within the actuator develops, the pump ( motor) runs a lot more often. You can hear the pump running when opening the drivers door or if you pump the brakes. If the pump continues to run for over 5 seconds there is likely a leak somewhere, usually it is within the actuator. It is an internal leak, no fluid actually leaks out of the vehicle. On one of our 460's replacing our brake fluid has reduced the amount our pump runs by about 25 percent. I haven't had to replace the pump or actuator on this car. At one point the pump was running for 20 seconds or so when opening the drivers door. Now it only runs for a few seconds.

The pump is powered by a dc motor. IMO The constant running is what wears the pump motor out.

I've changed actuators on a LS460 and GS450h. According to the drivers lexus site the LS460 was driven with a leaky actuator for over a year before the pump motor failed. You can continue to drive with warning lights on until the motor / pump fails. When the pump stops you lose 95 percent of your braking ability. This LS460 when I purchased it had an internal leak to the actuator and a bad pump motor. The pump wasn't running because the motor that drives it was burnt / worn out. In this case I had to replace the pump and the actuator. They are not drivable with a completely failed brake pump. Well maybe for one short trip to the scene of your own accident.

The gs450h pump was still operational a few months after the dealer diagnosed it with an internal leak to the actuator. The seller did disclose the brake issues, the codes had been cleared before I purchased the car. After about 20 miles the lights all returned, like he said they would. The only issue the car had during those 20 miles was the pump continuously running. I bled the entire brake system with new brake fluid. There was no change, the pump still would run for 15-30 seconds. Unfortunately the gs450h pump and actuator are one unit. They can't be replaced individually. I ended up replacing the entire pump / actuator assembly. We still have this gs450h. I only wish my wife let me drive it more

The following 3 users liked this post by miket000:
BlazeViper (09-15-21), Teammelvis (09-15-21), TriC (09-16-21)
Old 09-15-21, 06:24 PM
Teammelvis
Driver School Candidate

THank you to all the info here.

I ended up getting them to come down on price, remove the "mandatory" dealership service packkage (free oil changes for two years, pdr if needed) and got a warranty, Ended up being 16 OTD, I'm happy with it, for a low miles example that already have the control arms done, the amp replaced, valve recall done, and just had the brake pump replaced (per lexus driver site). I was assured the entire brake system, minus the wear and tear items were covered multiple times. A proud new owner, and ended up ggetting 4k over KBB for the 4runner.

Edit: The warranty was only 2 yr 24k miles, but it's only on a 24 month loan, after it'd paid off I won't sweat the actuator if it needs replaced, I can suck it up with no car note.

Thanks again everyone.

Next i'm thinking of doing the GROM Vline upgrade, so thats on the docket.
Old 09-15-21, 06:55 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Congrats. Where did you get the warranty from?
Old 09-15-21, 09:54 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 529 Likes on 325 Posts

Congrats, considering the climate and milage I think it was a good price.
BlazeViper (09-23-21)
Old 09-16-21, 01:00 PM
Cubbylex
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammelvis

I ended up getting them to come down on price, remove the "mandatory" dealership service packkage (free oil changes for two years, pdr if needed) and got a warranty, Ended up being 16 OTD, I'm happy with it, for a low miles example that already have the control arms done, the amp replaced, valve recall done, and just had the brake pump replaced (per lexus driver site). I was assured the entire brake system, minus the wear and tear items were covered multiple times. A proud new owner, and ended up ggetting 4k over KBB for the 4runner.

Edit: The warranty was only 2 yr 24k miles, but it's only on a 24 month loan, after it'd paid off I won't sweat the actuator if it needs replaced, I can suck it up with no car note.

Thanks again everyone.

Congratulations on you “new” car. Let us see some pictures when you get the chance.
Old 09-16-21, 02:47 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 345 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Teammelvis

Thanks again everyone.

Brilliant! I really loved my 08 and I'm sure you're going to enjoy it.
Old 09-16-21, 07:11 PM
ArmyofOne
Dysfunctional Veteran
Forum Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 112 Posts

I love my 2008. It's rock solid and has pretty much been the most reliable car I have ever owned.
Old 09-30-21, 01:49 PM
Teammelvis
Driver School Candidate

So a quick update here for anyone who cares.

In my OC I mentioned that the dealer replaced the Brake PUmp, but not the brake actuator. A week after I bought the car all the abs and tcs lights came back on. I didn't have any issues with the brakes actually going out, but took it to the dealer the next morning. Now they ARE replacing the brake actuator, and with documented proof that I brought that up to the sales person multiple times, they are replacing it at no cost to me, didn't even have to use the warranty. The downside is now i bet i never have to use the warranty so... haha, i guess better safe than sorry.

Either way, should have it back in a week, with the two main issues taken care of.
The following 2 users liked this post by Teammelvis:
miket000 (09-30-21), NiceLS460 (09-30-21)
Old 09-30-21, 06:45 PM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Hope you enjoy your LS without any further issues. I also have an 08 also with under 60k miles. The brake actuator was replaced when the car had under 10k miles and I have had no other issues on any other parts, knock on wood. I change the brake fluid twice annually when the humidity is low and hope this will contribute to a long life for the current actuator.