LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Continuing the wind noise journey

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-23, 02:29 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Continuing the wind noise journey

After doing a second repair on the triangle trim piece and a whole lot of taping I have been unable to even make a single dent in my interior wind noise. Somehow it manages to get right in the car and even pops my ears on a crosswind. Here is a video with the sounds

https://imgur.com/a/eG5uryG

The extent of my taping was extreme afterward with taping inside the door, all around the window, everywhere wind would get into the mirror, the triangle trim piece again for good measure and more which made ZERO difference. From there I stuffed a rag in the hole where the A pillar opens inside the hood and it also made no difference. On the highway the wind noise is terrible and when I get hit with a crosswind it actually steers the car. At this point I am out of ideas but it must be coming from somewhere else on the car. Tell me what to tape and I will try it.

I have ordered an ultrasonic leak detector which will arrive tomorrow and update with my results. I am close to selling the car, but I would prefer to get this fixed.

Last edited by Lolrax; 11-11-23 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-11-23, 03:40 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Originally Posted by Lolrax
After doing a second repair on the triangle trim piece and a whole lot of taping I have been unable to even make a single dent in my interior wind noise. Somehow it manages to get right in the car and even pops my ears on a crosswind. Here is a video with the sounds

https://imgur.com/a/eG5uryG

The extent of my taping was extreme afterward with taping inside the door, all around the window, everywhere wind would get into the mirror, the triangle trim piece again for good measure and more which made ZERO difference. From there I stuffed a rag in the hole where the A pillar opens inside the hood and it also made no difference. On the highway the wind noise is terrible and when I get hit with a crosswind it actually steers the car. At this point I am out of ideas but it must be coming from somewhere else on the car. Tell me what to tape and I will try it.

I have ordered an ultrasonic leak detector which will arrive tomorrow and update with my results. I am close to selling the car, but I would prefer to get this fixed.
Tape the base of the mirror where it meets the door and tape the hinge where mirror folds. Tape the light on side of mirror.
Old 11-11-23, 03:44 PM
BB9
Pit Crew

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

I was having some wind noise on my LS460 (not as much as you though). It was a part of the driver's door seal, on the top, around window frame. There is a rubber cord that looks like "T" in profile and it is inserted between door frame and the actual rubber seal. In my case that cord was popping out and wasn't holding seal in place. Took me some time to notice it. Take a closer look at both front doors, make sure they look the same and not distorted. Also, check your rear doors. There are 2 seals. When I bought my LS the outboard seals was missing on one side.

Old 11-12-23, 07:09 PM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Thank you for all the ideas guys here are the results of the ultrasonic leak detector.....it's still the triangle trim piece. I went through every seal on every door, over the sunroof, under the body and in the hood. The ONLY place I can reliably get a reading is in and around the triangle trim piece on the driver's side. I get nothing on the passengers side. I have already done the fix twice but clearly there is more I need to do to get the window to press out a bit further from the inside (maybe a shim) and I will be doing another round of sealant further up the cracks leading to the triangle trim zone. If it persists I may pull off the metal piece and fill the receiver holes with foam or something lol!

Also a lot of the turbulence I was having around the mirrors seemed to be coming from wind entering the housing next to the integrated turn signal bulbs so I will be sealing those as well.

To give you a sense of how sensitive the leak detector is here is a picture of me 6 inches away from the car with the window open a tiny crack (it is giving me max reading)

and here is another picture of where I pressed on the spot where the triangle trim is to simulate the effect of wind and open whatever seal is deep inside there letting in wind. I felt I had done the repair properly but clearly you need to seal is HARD. To you guys out there doing a half a$$ job? My advice is to do it all the way correctly because this really is it.

Thanks JMcraney for all of your help, your theory still holds true. I have to think of ways to get this thing even tighter and will update the thread.

Last edited by Lolrax; 11-12-23 at 07:13 PM.
Old 11-13-23, 05:53 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,145 Likes on 853 Posts

When I did my car I took the door panels off and used Hilti structural foam in conjunction with the clear sealant for the external trim. Stupid that it's needed at all but if you are gonna fix it nuke it
Old 11-13-23, 06:17 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

The way you taped the triangle so well, how is it possible for air to get past it? I don't think it is. The sound device reads sound, not air leaks. Maybe sound transmits through the triangle area. It's important to know if you have an air leak or a sound transmission issue. Different problems. Did you tape around the pivot point of the mirror housing where the motor folds it against the car when you park?
Old 11-13-23, 06:57 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Striker223
When I did my car I took the door panels off and used Hilti structural foam in conjunction with the clear sealant for the external trim. Stupid that it's needed at all but if you are gonna fix it nuke it
I think that is what I am going to have to do because all of my extra efforts and there is STILL some sound. This is a really stubborn bugger. Where exactly did you place the foam? I think I will go ahead with this today.

Originally Posted by swfla
The way you taped the triangle so well, how is it possible for air to get past it? I don't think it is. The sound device reads sound, not air leaks. Maybe sound transmits through the triangle area. It's important to know if you have an air leak or a sound transmission issue. Different problems. Did you tape around the pivot point of the mirror housing where the motor folds it against the car when you park?
I did tape the pivot point and there was no change at all, also taped the base and there was no change at all. Taped all the cracks in the mirror from where the pieces fit together and no change at all. It is all happening here at this triangle spot somehow air and sound sneaks in somewhere when it gets "flexed" by a crosswind.

Last edited by Lolrax; 11-13-23 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-14-23, 08:15 AM
JohnnyC407
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Did you check the door gasket right next to the triangle? That would be my WAG. It shouldn't be from the triangle since you've covered the 3 holes already. Unless you missed a tiny spot.
Old 11-14-23, 05:26 PM
evansj
Driver School Candidate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My thoughts are that it’s not necessarily air intrusion that you’re looking for. If there’s a gap or something in the airflow then the turbulence it causes could be loud enough for you to hear it inside the car even if air isn’t actually getting into the car.
Old 11-14-23, 09:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Not on these since when parked you can use an air compressor and spray air at the car and hear air intrude. Other times when you are stopped but with crosswind you also hear it
Old 11-15-23, 06:00 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 690 Likes on 511 Posts

I think that is what I am going to have to do because all of my extra efforts and there is STILL some sound.
You will never get rid of all the sound, if you do get rid of one you will hear another...these cars are not the cone of silence.

Old 11-15-23, 06:22 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I assume the noise is something fairly new. Was any work done to the car? Do you think that you may have developed a hearing sensitivity? We had a thread months ago where that was the problem. If you decide to get a different car, be sure to thoroughly test drive it for noise first. Very frustrating issue for all. We like to see resolution for our members.
Old 11-15-23, 08:04 AM
Lolrax
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Gerf
You will never get rid of all the sound, if you do get rid of one you will hear another...these cars are not the cone of silence.
I used insulating foam inside the sheet metal after pulling the door panel yesterday and got rid of the sound. It is gone. I will be adding a bit extra for good measure today and will post pictures with the locations I placed foam.

I was never looking for the cone of silence, I was only looking to stop an high pitched whistle from entering the cabin and hitting me directly in the left ear during a crosswind which I have now achieved. Lexus was having to buy back cars over this if you recall.

Originally Posted by swfla
I assume the noise is something fairly new. Was any work done to the car? Do you think that you may have developed a hearing sensitivity? We had a thread months ago where that was the problem. If you decide to get a different car, be sure to thoroughly test drive it for noise first. Very frustrating issue for all. We like to see resolution for our members.
I got it. Pics coming soon. When I originally test drove this car it was beautiful and I had it for an hour but I did not get hit with the crosswind necessary to create this sound. It's all over now and I am so pleased.

Last edited by Lolrax; 11-15-23 at 08:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
swfla (11-15-23)
Old 11-15-23, 09:14 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gerf
I mean they should be....they are flagships and their rivals are certainly able to be silent. A working 460 is one of the quietest cars at speed ever
Old 11-15-23, 09:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I used insulating foam inside the sheet metal after pulling the door panel yesterday and got rid of the sound. It is gone. I will be adding a bit extra for good measure today and will post pictures with the locations I placed foam.

I was never looking for the cone of silence, I was only looking to stop an high pitched whistle from entering the cabin and hitting me directly in the left ear during a crosswind which I have now achieved. Lexus was having to buy back cars over this if you recall.

I got it. Pics coming soon. When I originally test drove this car it was beautiful and I had it for an hour but I did not get hit with the crosswind necessary to create this sound. It's all over now and I am so pleased.
Glad my method worked for you!

Quick Reply: Continuing the wind noise journey