LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2012 LS460 seat cushion question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 11:10 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 2012 LS460 seat cushion question

Just picked up a 2012 CPO LS460. The driver's seat is really worn although car has only 29k miles. Any thoughts here on what can be done regarding the actual foam under the leather? Is that a replaceable part? I know the leather can be reconditioned but without better support it will still look loose. SA says they have to replace entire seat and I just don't buy that... I realize this is a heated/cooled seat with airbags etc., but am wondering who here ran into this issue and was able to find a solution.
Thank you!
Old 02-01-16, 11:13 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe your warranty will replace/repair it?
Old 02-01-16, 11:16 AM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Maybe your warranty will replace/repair it?
That is a good idea since the car technically is under the 4 yr/50k miles warranty.
Old 02-01-16, 12:00 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

It's $200 shipped from some online seller of oem parts. I bought one a couple months ago and replaced it myself. Not that tough. Let me know if you need help.
Old 02-01-16, 12:02 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by sdwtchlvr
It's $200 shipped from some online seller of oem parts. I bought one a couple months ago and replaced it myself. Not that tough. Let me know if you need help.
Was it on your 460LS?
Old 02-01-16, 01:13 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If you think the seat is worn and the foam is soft, get it fixed now while you can.
Old 02-01-16, 03:58 PM
orys
Pit Crew

I found the parts it is $194 for the foam and $900 for the leather. I think the leather is fine it's just needs reconditioning or painting and the foam should be replaced. I am trying to get the dealership to cover it under warranty. they are trying their very best NOT to accommodate me. I thought Lexus service is the best....
Old 02-01-16, 04:30 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by orys
I found the parts it is $194 for the foam and $900 for the leather. I think the leather is fine it's just needs reconditioning or painting and the foam should be replaced. I am trying to get the dealership to cover it under warranty. they are trying their very best NOT to accommodate me. I thought Lexus service is the best....
It's a CPO and this issue should have been taken care during the certification process. The dealership should accommodate your problem. You just purchased this LS CPO and you shouldn't be spending money on parts.
Old 02-01-16, 08:06 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

That's a tough one and subjective. The leather avoids have been in great condition. Dealers typically have the leather repainted if it's bad when they CPO vehicles. Looks great but a year or two in it shows its wear again.

The cushion I've had some experience with. The seat cushion dimensions don't go with my body/buttocks. I've pulled my seat out and repadded my seat bottom 8-10 times in the last few months. It's basic once you get it down but a little time consuming. The contours of the seat are aggressive and constricting.
Old 02-02-16, 02:58 AM
vb9594
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Hey sdwtchlvr...could you please post where you bought the cushion? Any advice on how to DIY it? Thanks!
Old 02-02-16, 06:44 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

I picked mine up from Lexus of South Atlanta. They offer similar pricing to online retailers that sell oem parts at a discount. The cushion was about $165 or so and then with shipping it came to just under $200 so expect to pay about that depending on where you are. My local dealer charged about $265 plus tax.

I can post a DYI for the board, I had planned on it but life has been so damn busy. It's not tough to do and if you're trying to make your seat bottom more comfortable, I have quite a few tips for adding padding to the seat bottom that will help things tremendously. Replacing the seat bottom was actually a bad move on my part because the new cushion is incredibly stiff on the side bolsters which was my issue to begin with. By throwing out the old seat I threw out 35k miles of breaking in. And keep in mind the seat bottom was redesigned around 2010-2011 to alleviate pressure points. But I didn't really notice any improvements. Bottom line: the side bolsters are too stiff and too high and too close together, middle of the seat is only 9" wide or so, then you hit the side bolsters that shoot up. What can we do to counter that? Add padding to the middle to make the seat more "flat" vs its current state which is like a V.
Old 02-02-16, 06:59 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Just take the car back to the dealer. Otherwise, call Lexus HQ and start a claim. You're car is in warranty. It it's a CPO and you are unhappy, they need to make you do the happy dance.
Old 02-02-16, 04:15 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Definitely speak to your dealer about a replacement cushion. There was a tsib for the seat bottom cushion for certain years. They may help you out and replace the cushion. But they may not, depends on how worn the cushion is and if they consider it defective. What exactly is worn about it? Can you explain a little more?
Old 02-02-16, 10:48 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Definitely speak to your dealer about a replacement cushion. There was a tsib for the seat bottom cushion for certain years. They may help you out and replace the cushion. But they may not, depends on how worn the cushion is and if they consider it defective. What exactly is worn about it? Can you explain a little more?
Well basically the leather has deep wrinkle marks on it, befitting a car with 100K miles. This is of course mostly noticeable on the door side bolster and the front edge of the seat. But the biggest issue I have is that the bottom of the seat totally sags so the leather is just kind of loose there.... Looks very unattractive. It's weird because other than that, the car is really clean. The dealer sent the car out to the upholsterer today and promised it will look better, but refused to replace the cushion. I will take a look at the result and decide what to do then. I don't think it's reasonable for me to expect a brand new seat better (including leather) as I understand this is not a new car, but what exactly are the CPO standards for leather wear/tear?
Old 02-02-16, 10:49 PM
orys
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by R Z
Just take the car back to the dealer. Otherwise, call Lexus HQ and start a claim. You're car is in warranty. It it's a CPO and you are unhappy, they need to make you do the happy dance.
I might have to do just that.... I would like to do the happy dance!

Quick Reply: 2012 LS460 seat cushion question