LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460 lights will now turn off

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-16, 12:19 PM
ekim
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 LS460 lights will now turn off

I recently purchased a 2013 LS460 and I'm alhaving issues with my lights turning off.

When on Auto.. Lights turn off after pressing the Lock 2x.

When on On position or parking lights position and I press the lock button twice, it will not turn off. I mean it will stay on for a while.

Check the delay headlight setting in the menu options and it's set at 30 seconds.

Took my car back to Lexus and told them my issue I was having...and they still couldn't figure it out. Does anyone else have this issue with their LS?
Old 01-05-16, 12:49 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Headlights must be in AUTO mode for the selectable timer off feature. At least that's what the owner's manual says.

If it's set to just ON and you leave the vehicle, they stay on and go off as a battery-saving measure on a uncontrollable timer, I think.

I changed mine to instantly turn off upon door opening, instead of a delay, again, this only works in AUTO.
Old 01-05-16, 01:15 PM
ekim
Driver

Well with the previous LS and GS and other Lexus'.... I've never had this issue. It always turns off after pressing the lock button twice on the key fob while in the ON position. Really bothers me.
Old 01-05-16, 01:22 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Old 01-05-16, 01:43 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Actually you're right.

The manual states the upon exiting the vehicle and closing all doors you can turn the lights off by pressing the LOCK button.

Old 01-05-16, 09:10 PM
ekim
Driver

Someone has to have a solution for this.ANYBODY!!!!!!!'
Old 01-06-16, 05:08 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

You try seeing if the second remote turns off the headlights? If so, maybe it's the remote.

If they both don't work then I would guess it's something with the car itself as I didn't see anything else in the manual that indicated that feature can be turned off, although again I have no idea.

You could always dig around with the OBD2 and phone app and see if it is a selectable, but dealer-only changeable settings.
Old 01-06-16, 06:47 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by ekim
I recently purchased a 2013 LS460 and I'm alhaving issues with my lights turning off.

When on Auto.. Lights turn off after pressing the Lock 2x.

When on On position or parking lights position and I press the lock button twice, it will not turn off. I mean it will stay on for a while.

Check the delay headlight setting in the menu options and it's set at 30 seconds.

Took my car back to Lexus and told them my issue I was having...and they still couldn't figure it out. Does anyone else have this issue with their LS?
Originally Posted by ekim
Someone has to have a solution for this.ANYBODY!!!!!!!'
ekim,

I am sorry you are having problems with your lights. Operation of the lights is sort of confusing but we have had very few real problems reported in our discussions other than one notable exception. Usually, after owners have a good understanding about how this works they conclude that their cars are working fine.

First, the "Auto" that you are referring to has nothing to do with the headlights Auto Off feature. It, the Auto position on the light control stalk on the left side of the steering wheel, enables the automatic operation of the headlights on/off in response to ambient light conditions and is only active when the ignition is on. It is this feature that, when enabled, turns on your headlights when you start your car in a dark garage and then turns them off when get into the daylight. And it turns your lights on automatically in the daytime when you drive into tunnels. And it automatically turns your headlights on when you are driving during the transition from day to night and turns them off in the transition from night to day. It is that sort of feature. It pretty well takes over operation of the headlights so that you don't have to worry about ever driving in low light conditions without your headlights on. It is a great safety feature.

The headlights Auto Off feature is an autonomous feature that can not be disabled - it is always enable. It automatically turns the headlights off any time the headlights are on when the ignition is turned off, after some conditions are met. The conditions that must be met are: at least one door opens after the ignition is turned off, followed by all doors and trunk closed, followed by a delay (the default delay is 30 seconds and can be customized to 0 seconds or 60 seconds or 90 seconds). You can test this feature by turning the headlights on manually, or by setting the selector to Auto (testing in the Auto position has to be done in low light conditions) and then starting your car. Then turn the ignition off, open the driver’s door (you can remain in the driver's seat if that suits you). In the zero delay setting the lights will go off as soon as you open the door. In the 30, 60, 90 second delay modes the timer starts when you close the driver’s door. Wait for the delay to expire (30-60-90 seconds depending on how it is set) - the headlights should go off automatically. When you are outside the car, the 30-60-90 second delay can be truncated to zero by quickly pressing the LOCK button on the wireless remote key twice after all doors and trunk are closed.

The headlights Auto Off feature can be defeated by turning the headlights or parking lights off manually and then back on manually after the ignition is turned off. Or, if the headlights are off when you turn the ignition off and you turn them on manually the Auto Off will not turn them off. If you have some reason to do this, the headlights Auto Off feature is re-enabled as soon as you start the car.
Old 01-06-16, 07:06 AM
ekim
Driver

Originally Posted by jmcraney
ekim,

I am sorry you are having problems with your lights. Operation of the lights is sort of confusing but we have had very few real problems reported in our discussions other than one notable exception. Usually, after owners have a good understanding about how this works they conclude that their cars are working fine.

First, the "Auto" that you are referring to has nothing to do with the headlights Auto Off feature. It, the Auto position on the light control stalk on the left side of the steering wheel, enables the automatic operation of the headlights on/off in response to ambient light conditions and is only active when the ignition is on. It is this feature that, when enabled, turns on your headlights when you start your car in a dark garage and then turns them off when get into the daylight. And it turns your lights on automatically in the daytime when you drive into tunnels. And it automatically turns your headlights on when you are driving during the transition from day to night and turns them off in the transition from night to day. It is that sort of feature. It pretty well takes over operation of the headlights so that you don't have to worry about ever driving in low light conditions without your headlights on. It is a great safety feature.

The headlights Auto Off feature is an autonomous feature that can not be disabled - it is always enable. It automatically turns the headlights off any time the headlights are on when the ignition is turned off, after some conditions are met. The conditions that must be met are: at least one door opens after the ignition is turned off, followed by all doors and trunk closed, followed by a delay (the default delay is 30 seconds and can be customized to 0 seconds or 60 seconds or 90 seconds). You can test this feature by turning the headlights on manually, or by setting the selector to Auto (testing in the Auto position has to be done in low light conditions) and then starting your car. Then turn the ignition off, open the driver’s door (you can remain in the driver's seat if that suits you). In the zero delay setting the lights will go off as soon as you open the door. In the 30, 60, 90 second delay modes the timer starts when you close the driver’s door. Wait for the delay to expire (30-60-90 seconds depending on how it is set) - the headlights should go off automatically. When you are outside the car, the 30-60-90 second delay can be truncated to zero by quickly pressing the LOCK button on the wireless remote key twice after all doors and trunk are closed.

The headlights Auto Off feature can be defeated by turning the headlights or parking lights off manually and then back on manually after the ignition is turned off. Or, if the headlights are off when you turn the ignition off and you turn them on manually the Auto Off will not turn them off. If you have some reason to do this, the headlights Auto Off feature is re-enabled as soon as you start the car.

Jmcraney,

I understand everything you are saying, however, when my headlights are in the 'on' position and I turn my car off, get out of my car, close the doors, hit the lock button twice on my key fob, the lights still stay on, and will not turn off. Even after 20 mins, they are still on.
Old 01-06-16, 07:11 AM
jmcraney

Ah, the exception that I mentioned.

Sounds like you may have a defective doorjamb switch on the driver's door.

Try testing it by opening and closing one of the other doors after you open and close the driver's door.
Old 01-06-16, 07:20 AM
ekim
Driver

Ah, the exception that I mentioned.

Sounds like you may have a defective doorjamb switch on the driver's door.

Try testing it by opening and closing one of the other doors after you open and close the driver's door.
Jmcraney,

I have lol. I've been doing research and some ppl even switched the from sensors with the back. And that's what I did last night, switch my sensors from front door to back door... Still having same issue.
Old 01-06-16, 07:26 AM
jmcraney

When you open the driver's door do you see the "open door" indicator in the dash display?

When you lock the doors with the wireless remote key do you hear the sounder beep?
Old 01-06-16, 07:33 AM
ekim
Driver

When you open the driver's door do you see the "open door" indicator in the dash display?

When you lock the doors with the wireless remote key do you hear the sounder beep?
Not sure about the 'open door' indicator but I'll look.

Now for the beep... It beeps and signal lights flash per click of the button on the remote and all doors lock.
Old 01-06-16, 07:38 AM
jmcraney

While your driver's door is open, vigorously push the doorjamb switch a few times before you close the door.

Also try going around and opening and closing all the other doors and trunk after you exit and close the driver's door.
Old 01-06-16, 08:01 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I just checked mine. The lights do turn off when I lock the car with the fob. Looks like you need another appt with your dealer.....

Last edited by roadfrog; 01-06-16 at 08:50 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 LS460 lights will now turn off