LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus

Old 11-25-15, 01:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,498 Likes on 1,801 Posts
Default Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus

Just picked the LS up from having the Pirellis put on. Haven't driven very far, but so far so good! They DEFINATELY ride better. I aired them to the door jamb figure of 33 PSI all the way around, and at that pressure the ride difference compared to the Bridgestones was quite clear, and I had been running the Bridgestones at 30 PSI to improve the ride.

Noise wise they are certainly quieter. The difference isn't astoundingly huge but its there. I never thought the Bridgestones were especially loud, but my set only had 8,500 miles on them and the car is very quiet.

One thing that is a significant difference that I did not even think about is rolling resistance. The car glides better down the road now, steering turns easier, etc.

The tires look great! Beefier looking than the Bridgestones and they have a nice curb rash guard that looks good and I can certainly see them protecting the wheels more from curbs. They fill the wheel wells better yet look lower profile? If that make sense.

I'm going to play around with the pressures and find the right one for this tire, so far 33 feels pretty good. Taking a long highway trip tomorrow and will get a chance to break them in.

Here are a couple quick pictures:

The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
CamelKool (06-26-20), eelliiss (06-07-21)
Old 11-25-15, 01:34 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great pics and I think they will be a great tire for you based on reviews. As you get more time with them, interested to hear how you think they compare to the Versados and MXV. Enjoy the ride and have a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-15, 02:27 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I am particularly interested in how you feel they perform on wet roads. I had Pirelli P Zero Neros on my car and they were the best performing tire for wet roads. I now have the Continental Pure Contact. These tires are quieter and longer lasting, but their wet road performance is not quite as good.
Old 11-25-15, 03:06 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Thanks for the review. I may choose them for my next tire if they wear well for you without any significant noise.
Old 11-25-15, 03:39 PM
jpv7774
Lexus Test Driver

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Nice SW!!!! Those tires really pop! They look sporty along with those nice rims. I am happy that you are feeling good about the purchase. I also noticed the lack of rolling resistance when I bought mine....but the 430 tend to engine brake more then I would prefer. The P7s are supposed to improve gas mileage. I think u will notice they handle very nicely as well. Thanks for the report.
Old 11-25-15, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Went out to dinner tonight and put a few miles on them, they really make the car ride and drive nice. Glad I didn't wait and try to get more life out of the Bridgestones!

Will report back after the trip, the trip home Saturday looks like it may be rain so we'll get a chance to try em out!

-Steve
Old 11-26-15, 12:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Just a quick pre turkey check in.

The tires were great on the trip up here. Very quiet, very smooth, perfectly balanced. At times I had cruise set at 85 and topped 90 for some stretches (early morning traffic on Thanksgiving doesn't mess around haha) and the tires have definitely added another layer of refinement to the car.

Very pleased.
Old 11-26-15, 12:50 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I will definitely take a look at those tires when the time comes. I have the Michelin Sport AS on my SWB 09 and they're OK but the ride is a bit stiff. How is the ride quality of the Pirelli Cinturato P7? and what did you pay if you don't mind me asking?
Old 11-26-15, 02:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Ride quality is very good. Better that the Bridgestone touring tires that came on it so would certainly be better than the Pilot Sport AS.

They were $799 shipped from Tire Rack, then $165 mounted and road force balanced.
Old 11-27-15, 05:00 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 311 Posts

Finished the front half of a 2200 mile road trip for Thanksgiving. I now have 2,700 miles on these tires and I think they are one of the best if not the best tire I have ever driven on. The car feels like it just glides across the pavement. They hug the road going around curves. In heavy rain they feel like you are glued to the road. The road noise is a non issue even with the new hearing aids.

Dennis
Old 11-27-15, 06:42 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

After reading the reviews and the previous thread about these tires, I had made up my mind to go with them. This thread is awesome to confirm that these are likely the best tire going for this vehicle at this time. I'm waiting until my current tires throw sparks! . And they're almost there. The current tires are the original tires.

Thanks for the follow-up thread and confirmation!
Old 11-27-15, 07:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Honestly...don't wait. The original tires are so crappy, and the upgrade is so significant do it now. I should have done it as soon as I bought the car.
Old 11-27-15, 09:14 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Good choice. Here is a article from TireRack. Where the P7's are lower vs the competition is wet traction. Personally, I think the Premier A/S would be a better choice due to how they wear and better wet traction.

Edit:

I now see they don't make a 235/50/18 which is too bad.

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: Reasonable road manners
What We'd Improve: Wet weather and winter performance
Conclusion: A contender in the category that is beginning to feel a little outpaced by newer tires

Continental PureContact w/EcoPlus Technology (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: Great wet and dry traction and responsive handling
What We'd Improve: Soften the ride a little
Conclusion: A very good option for drivers who want traction and confident handling in all four seasons

Michelin Premier A/S (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: Excellent wet and good winter weather grip
What We'd Improve: A small increase in ultimate dry traction
Conclusion: A very good blend of comfort and traction

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season, 215/60R16 95V)
What We Liked: A very smooth and quiet ride plus good winter traction
What We'd Improve: Moderate increase in wet traction
Conclusion: One of the best-riding Grand Touring All-Season tires

Vehicles Used

2014 BMW F30 328i Sedan

Grand Touring All-Season tires are designed to deliver a blend of refined ride comfort, good traction and handling, long tread wear and all-season capability. That blend of characteristics makes it a popular choice for drivers, and a key category for the tire manufacturers. It's full of good choices, and brings high expectations from drivers who want the best from their tires. Michelin has set their sights on being the leader in the Grand Touring All-Season category, and has aptly named their latest tire

]Premier A/S. Michelin tires have a reputation for delivering long wear and a smooth ride. They've designed the Premier A/S to build on that by emphasizing wet traction, and not just when new, but through the tire's life when wet performance traditionally falls off versus a new tire.

Premier A/S uses several new technologies to accomplish the goal. The foundation is a high-traction tread rubber compound, featuring extreme levels of silica and sunflower oil to aid wet and cold weather traction. Michelin has also found a way to mold the tread pattern in such a way that the main circumferential rain grooves get wider towards the base rather than narrower like in traditional tire designs. This helps minimize the restriction of water flowing through the tire footprint as the tread gets shallower. Premier A/S also has emerging grooves in the shoulder blocks that transition from a thin, slit-like sipe to an actual groove, also helping give water a place to go when the rest of the tread is getting shallower.

To find out how well Premier A/S drives and performs, we conducted a Real World Road Ride and Performance Track Drive comparing it with the top three performers in the Grand Touring All-Season category - the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus, Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology and the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus. Our evaluation used 2014 BMW F30 328i sedans fitted with new, full tread depth 215/60R16 tires mounted on 16x7.5 wheels.
What We Learned on the Road

Our 6.0-mile loop of expressway, state highway and county roads provides a great variety of road conditions that include city and highway speeds, smooth and coarse concrete, as well as new and patched asphalt. This route allows our team to experience noise comfort, ride quality and everyday handling, just as you would during your drive to school or work.

Grand Touring All-Season tires are a treat to drive out on the road, thanks to their blend of comfortable and quiet ride and reassuring handling. Our team found the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus to be very smooth and quiet, absorbing bumps and expansion joints well and producing minimal tread pattern noise. The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity followed, also doing a nice job of cushioning the ride over rough and jarring sections of our route. The tread pattern is relatively quiet, but this tire did produce a bit more noise than the Pirelli when encountering larger impacts. The Michelin Premier A/S was also smooth-riding and relatively quiet, except when rolling over the cross-grooved concrete expressway section, where its tread pattern generated a hint of a distinctive tone discernable over the ambient noise from wind and surrounding traffic. Rounding out the group was the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology. The ride of the PureContact is very appropriate for a tire in the Grand Touring All-Season category, and is by no means harsh or stiff riding. It's just slightly firmer than the others when compared side-by-side.

The payback for the PureContact comes in the form of steering response and precision. This tire drives very well and follows driver inputs with exacting precision. Our team also liked the overall handling of the Premier A/S, thanks to its very stable feel when tracking straight ahead, which made coping with cross winds effortless. The Cinturato P7 All Season Plus and Turanza Serenity Plus both also handled well, feeling stable and predictable.

What We Learned on the Test Track

Our 1/3-mile per lap test track course includes 90-degree street corners, a five-cone slalom and simulated expressway ramps. Run in both dry and wet conditions, the test track allows our team to experience the traction, responsiveness, handling and drivability normally only encountered during abrupt emergency avoidance maneuvers or competition events.

On the track in dry conditions the Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology felt the most stable and responsive, netting a small advantage in braking, cornering traction and overall lap time. The other three tires were similar in performance and tightly grouped, just a little behind the level of the PureContact.

In wet conditions we found a greater separation across the group, with the Premier A/S and PureContact providing very similar and high levels of overall traction and stability. Somewhat behind the lead pair was the Turanza Serenity Plus which felt stable, but with lower overall traction. Back another step was the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus, feeling somewhat slippery in comparison to the other tires in the test.

Driving In Winter Conditions

Winter weather is often unpredictable, and snow-covered roads change with every passing vehicle as they churn snow into slush or pack it down to polished ice. A constantly changing test surface makes side-by-side comparisons difficult, so we use a dedicated winter testing facility in Northern Sweden with acres of groomed snow that provides the consistency we need to get reliable acceleration and braking comparisons. This facility also has a prepared snow-handling course where we evaluate the stability and control of each tire during abrupt maneuvers. To simulate the icy conditions found at intersections or the black ice experienced out on the highway, we use ice at a local hockey rink and measure acceleration and braking traction.

The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus delivered good snow traction and exhibited good control and stability during handling maneuvers. The Michelin Premier A/S also provided good snow and ice traction and handling. The Continental PureContact with Eco Plus Technology also performed well in the snow, but didn't have the cornering traction or handling balance of the Pirelli and Michelin tires. The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus lacked the snow traction to match the others, particularly under braking where it took just over 30 feet longer to stop from 20mph than the best tire in the test.
Fuel Consumption Results

Our Real World Road Ride features a relatively flat 6.0-mile loop of 65 mph expressway, 55 mph state highway and 40 mph county roads along with two stop signs and one traffic light every lap. Our team drove each tire approximately 400 miles over the course of several days. Since we wanted to compare fuel consumption results that typical drivers would experience, our drivers were instructed to maintain the flow of traffic by running at the posted speed limits and sustain the vehicle's speed using cruise control whenever possible. They did not use hypermiling techniques to influence vehicle fuel economy.

Tire Line Test
MPG* Gallons/Year
@ 15,000 Miles % vs. Most Efficient
Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus 31.1 482.3 -1.9%
Continental PureContact w/ Ecoplus Technology 31.4 477.7 -1.0%
Michelin Premier A/S 31.4 477.7 -1.0%
Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season 31.7 473.2 --

*Our evaluation used Linear Logic ScanGauge II automotive computers to record fuel consumption, and Race Technology DL1 data loggers to record true distance travelled.
Based on our results, the 0.6-mile per gallon difference between our lowest and highest observed fuel economy would result in an annual difference of slightly more than 9 gallons of premium gasoline. At the current cost of $4.00/gallon, it would amount to an annual difference of just under $37 for drivers driving 15,000 miles per year.

It's important to note our test's fuel consumption measurements follow consistent procedures designed to minimize variables that could influence the results, however they do not represent an exhaustive long-range fuel consumption study. While our procedures require the test vehicles in each convoy to run under the same prevailing conditions, the week-to-week differences in ambient temperatures, barometric pressures and wind speeds that we experience over a season of testing can influence vehicle fuel consumption and prevent the absolute mpg values of this test from being compared directly against those of others.

Larger differences in consumption between tires may indicate a difference that might be experienced on the road, while smaller differences should be considered equivalent. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Summary

After driving on all four tires it's easy to say it's a tight race for the top spot. Any one of these tires will deliver a nice driving experience out on the road. While we didn't have the ability to simulate worn tire performance, Michelin has put some new technology into the Premier A/S that should help it maintain it's strong wet weather performance over time. (See additional test results.) This tire also performs well in winter conditions. The Continental PureContact with EcoPlus Technology also focuses on delivering excellent traction in dry and wet conditions along with good snow traction. The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus strives to strike a balance across all areas, and delivers a good overall blend of three-season capability, but falls somewhat short in winter conditions. The Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus excels in providing a smooth and comfortable ride, along with test-leading winter traction, but doesn't have the wet traction to match the capability of the others.

Product Details

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (Grand Touring All-Season): The Turanza Serenity Plus is Bridgestone's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for drivers of mid-level and premium luxury coupes, sedans, minivans and crossover vehicles. Compared to its predecessor, the tire offers longer wear, greater snow traction and lower rolling resistance, which contributes to better vehicle fuel economy. Designed to provide Bridgestone's ultimate in luxury, elegance and comfort, Turanza Serenity Plus tires blend long wear with dry, wet and wintertime traction, even in light snow.

Continental PureContact w/EcoPlus Technology (Grand Touring All-Season): The PureContact with EcoPlus Technology is Continental's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of luxury performance sedans, sporty coupes and crossover vehicles. PureContact tires are designed to balance long wear, a comfortable ride and low rolling resistance with wet grip and all-season traction, even in light snow.

Michelin Premier A/S (Grand Touring All-Season): The Premier A/S is Michelin's Grand Touring All-Season tire developed for the drivers of coupes, sedans and minivans looking for tires that deliver category-leading wet grip when new and when worn. And even when worn, Premier A/S tires are designed to stop shorter on wet roads than leading competitors' brand-new tires, as well as provide all-season traction on wintry roads, even in light snow.

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (Grand Touring All-Season): The Cinturato P7 All Season Plus is Pirelli's Grand Touring All-Season tire designed for the drivers of touring and luxury touring cars looking for tires offering predictable handling, everyday comfort and all-season traction. Developed to be environmentally friendly, Pirelli's EcoImpact icons confirm the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus' contribution to the environment with regards to energy efficiency, clean air, low noise and long wear. Designed to be driven in America's diverse weather conditions, the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus features lower weight, less rolling resistance and reduced noise while enhancing wet braking and year-round traction, even in light snow.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=188

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 11-27-15 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-27-15, 11:58 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I am completely disgusted with my choice of Continentals. Out of the first four I received, TWO were out of round. Tire Rack customer service has been outstanding. They sent me two to replace those and are covering my road force balance and mounting. HOWEVER, even after mounting the new 2 ones, I still have a shake between 70-80mph. It was not there with my old tires, so I know it is related to the new ones. I am going to swap out the front two with my spare to try to find the bad one or two. I really hope I can change to the Pirelli due to the issues I've had with these Continentals. Nightmare. I have no luck.
Old 11-27-15, 07:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I read that review from TireRack. The Premier doesn't come in our size but even if it did I would have still chosen the Pirellis for the smoother, quieter ride even at the expense of some wet traction.

Hopefully they will let you change to the Pirellis Greg, I've always heard mixed things about Continentals...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced the Bridgestones with a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus