LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I might stop doing extended oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-16, 12:57 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
The Lexus spec for 0-W-20 oil is a scam to increase fuel economy some small fraction while sacrificing engine wear and oil use.

I'm thinking a 10-W-30 or Mobile 1 15-W-50 (that I run in my Porsche 928 GTS) is more appropriate for my SoCal climate but the dealer won't do it.
I'm just planning on giving 5w30 a try because I do wonder about engine protection, shearing and I am losing a little bit of oil. I'm thinking if I lose less oil with the 5w30, I'll try to push my intervals out longer. I may wait until the weather warms up a bit (plus I just did a change using the 0w20 again because I got it for free). Come April I'll be trying Amsoil 5w30.
Old 01-29-16, 02:41 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyV
The Lexus spec for 0-W-20 oil is a scam to increase fuel economy some small fraction while sacrificing engine wear and oil use.

I'm thinking a 10-W-30 or Mobile 1 15-W-50 (that I run in my Porsche 928 GTS) is more appropriate for my SoCal climate but the dealer won't do it.
I tried Mobil 0w30 with confounding results. The oil takes 5-10min to warm up and allow the car to perform. The mpg's are favorable (35+). Further, 5w30 seems to be the better performer. The mpg's were slightly lower, but the warm-up time was insignificant.
Old 01-29-16, 02:51 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts
Default One more myth to dispel

the manual says this (2008):

http://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdriver...nual-search.do

Use Lexus approved “Toyota Genuine Motor Oil” or
equivalent to satisfy the grade and viscosity shown
below. 5w20 or 0w20 All climates.
The 0W portion of the oil viscosity rating indicates a characteristic of the
oil which allows cold startability. Oils with a lower value before the W
allow for easier starting of the engine in cold weather.
l The 20 in 0W-20 indicates the oil viscosity when the oil is at its operating
temperature. An oil with a higher viscosity may be better suited if the
vehicle is operated at high speeds, or under extreme load condition.
Old 02-24-16, 09:20 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Just an update.

I am now at 6200 miles and have just had to add a qt of oil. So, I'm thinking this might be the magic number for oil change interval. Just for kicks, I might go another 3 or 4 thousand miles and see how the consumption goes.
Old 02-27-16, 03:54 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Just an update.

I am now at 6200 miles and have just had to add a qt of oil. So, I'm thinking this might be the magic number for oil change interval. Just for kicks, I might go another 3 or 4 thousand miles and see how the consumption goes.
Well that's pretty damn good, to make it 6200 miles on that weight of oil and only lose a quart is pretty impressive.

I think my comfort number is somewhere between 6000 and 7500, depending on the brand of oil I'm using. Right now I've been using cheap Carquest synthetic, so I'm not pushing it beyond 6000 miles (I add about a quart in that duration too).
Old 02-27-16, 05:05 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

My 460 consumes a bit of oil but my 430 does not. I am now running 10k OCI's in my 430 without having to add any oil but 6-7k on the 460 and she drinks around a quart. Not sure why one vehicle does and the other does not. I guess it is the nature of the engine. Maybe DI is more prone to consumption.
Old 02-27-16, 05:18 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
My 460 consumes a bit of oil but my 430 does not. I am now running 10k OCI's in my 430 without having to add any oil but 6-7k on the 460 and she drinks around a quart. Not sure why one vehicle does and the other does not. I guess it is the nature of the engine. Maybe DI is more prone to consumption.
There's probably two factors...oil weight and direct injection. Are you using 0w20 in the 430? I imagine you're using 5w30, which is thicker and less likely to shear to the point where it will slip past the rings and burn...or be used some other way. And the direct injection I believe puts a little bit more responsibility on the piston rings, oil and PCV system.

Either way it sounds like you have two great performing engines...one goes 10k miles without usin a drop (unheard of) and the other goes 6-7k with only using a quart (unheard of in most modern engines).
Old 02-27-16, 05:47 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I am running Mobile 1 ESP in both and yes 5w-30 for the 430. LS 400 and 430's never had any consumption issues that I'm aware of. Really amazing engines. I believe DI might be the reason why the 460 tends to use a bit.
Old 02-27-16, 07:05 AM
Silverpaws
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I recently completed a 4479 mile cross country trip in my '08 LS with fresh Pennzoil Platinum 0w-20 and never needed a drop of oil. Averaged about 28.5 mpg and car now has just under 45,000 miles.
Old 03-08-16, 10:22 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm against extended intervals, doing it every 5000 gives you an earlier chance of catching a leak or anything out of the ordinary on the undercarriage/drive train.
Old 03-09-16, 04:12 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah GDI engines, by their very nature, typically runs leaner (i.e., much hotter) and under more pressure. I'm personally amazed we don't see more oil consumption issues in our engines, although I'm sure there are some.

Oil consumption is huge deal with European GDI engines, across all brands. There are in fact many lawsuits ongoing and/or resolved. Brand new Audis eating through a qt of oil every 1000 miles. BMWs, MBs, all have GDI and all experience more oil consumption problems than what I'm seeing here, at least anecdotally.

Just another drawback of GDI engines.
Old 03-09-16, 03:49 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah GDI engines, by their very nature, typically runs leaner (i.e., much hotter) and under more pressure. I'm personally amazed we don't see more oil consumption issues in our engines, although I'm sure there are some.

Oil consumption is huge deal with European GDI engines, across all brands. There are in fact many lawsuits ongoing and/or resolved. Brand new Audis eating through a qt of oil every 1000 miles. BMWs, MBs, all have GDI and all experience more oil consumption problems than what I'm seeing here, at least anecdotally.

Just another drawback of GDI engines.
Penzoil had a nice interview on Bob's the oil guy recently, they talked about direct injection and the strain it places on the timing chain (of all things). DI engines leave more carbon soot in an engine's oil and it can wreak havoc on a timing chain...the soot gets in between the rollars on the chain and causes it to stretch. I always wondered how a chain like that could stretch, evidently that's a cause.

They also said that timing chain engines - like ours - do a number on the oil because along with the valve train, it shears the oil. The LS has a very busy valve train...multiple cams, multiple valves and cam phasers...add that to the chain and our oil takes a beating.
Old 03-12-16, 09:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I messed up. I stated earlier that I added a qt at 6k miles. Wrong. It was 6k KMS (about 4k miles). Sorry guys.

Still....I'm pretty happy with that. Consumption has dropped dramatically from when I originally purchased my car.

Still trying to decide what my new OCI's will be. I'm leaning towards 10k kms (6k miles), or basically the point where I need to add oil.
Old 03-12-16, 09:43 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, comparatively speaking, our cars are pretty tame for GDI engines in regards to consumption. While I do agree that some consumption is normal, having to add a quart every 1,000 miles or less is not, even though BMW and Audi considers that "within tolerances" and acceptable. That is not normal in my opinion, and I would be infuriated if I had to add a quart every 1,000 miles, which some brand new BMW and Audi drivers had and have to endure.
Old 03-13-16, 10:11 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure if I already mentioned this or not, but Consumer Reports recently did a report on the increased oil consumption found in new cars over the last several years, likely due to the increased use of DI engines. The worst offenders were Audi, BMW and Subaru. BMW and Audi both state that a qt every 600-800 miles as "normal", while Subaru states that 1000 miles is normal. Honda also has the issue. Lexus also uses the 1000 mile mark as normal.

Here's a part of the article:
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/m...tion/index.htm

Quick Reply: I might stop doing extended oil change intervals