I might stop doing extended oil change intervals - Page 4 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion


LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I might stop doing extended oil change intervals

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-21-15, 05:12 PM   #46
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver
 
Rhambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,214
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Hopefully this isn't off subject, but I just flipped through my owner's manual and service guide and can't tell what type of oil is used? Synthetic, mineral, blend? It was pretty blatant in my Acura manual: SYNTHETIC, although there's no reference to the type of oil other than weight and "Toyota approved oil," whatever that is?

Also, does anyone know what type of oil is in there from the factory? Mineral, synthetic a blend?

I remember reading an article somewhere that stated once an engine gets thoroughly lubricated and "set" with a certain type of oil (i.e., mineral or synthetic), that you shouldn't switch due to the way the seals are set with that original oil type. Can't remember where I read that or if it's even applicable as it was a while ago I think. Any merit to that?
Rhambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 05:47 PM   #47
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,692
Thanked 144 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler View Post
Hopefully this isn't off subject, but I just flipped through my owner's manual and service guide and can't tell what type of oil is used? Synthetic, mineral, blend? It was pretty blatant in my Acura manual: SYNTHETIC, although there's no reference to the type of oil other than weight and "Toyota approved oil," whatever that is?

Also, does anyone know what type of oil is in there from the factory? Mineral, synthetic a blend?

I remember reading an article somewhere that stated once an engine gets thoroughly lubricated and "set" with a certain type of oil (i.e., mineral or synthetic), that you shouldn't switch due to the way the seals are set with that original oil type. Can't remember where I read that or if it's even applicable as it was a while ago I think. Any merit to that?
First off, lets dispel the MYTH that, you can't switch to synthetic oil if you've used dino based oils all along. You absolutely can (and should). HOWEVER......if you have a tired engine with questionable seals and gaskets, you can expect the leaks to get worse with synth. In a properly maintained and sealed engine however, synth is the way to go. I can tell you that my LS with 60k miles on it, was serviced with 5W20 dino oil at the Lexus dealer it's whole life.. When I bought it, I began using 0W20 Toyota synthetic. I now have 100k miles on it, and have done three5k mile changes , one 8k mile change and most recently, a 10k mile change. No issues. I'll add that, I also get regular oil analysis' from Blackstone Labs. Reports are consistent and excellent.

As for what is "Toyota Approved", that's easy. In North America, that will be either 0W20 or 5W20 and can be either synth or dino. It does not have to be Toyota oil, as long as it's API approved according to your manual. As for what's shipped in the factory fill, it will be dino.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 07:11 PM   #48
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver
 
Rhambler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: CA
Posts: 1,214
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Thanks.

I wonder why Toyota didn't explicitly state one. It's very clear on my Acura service manual and frankly I would prefer it that way.

Just out of curiosity, if I take my car to Lexus for oil change service, what do they use? Do I need to specify an oil type every time I go there?
Rhambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 07:31 PM   #49
Unsober1
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: colorado
Posts: 268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default




There is my dip stick at 8,000 miles. I just recently did a change. No oil was added.
Unsober1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 08:19 PM   #50
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,692
Thanked 144 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shambler View Post
Thanks.

I wonder why Toyota didn't explicitly state one. It's very clear on my Acura service manual and frankly I would prefer it that way.

Just out of curiosity, if I take my car to Lexus for oil change service, what do they use? Do I need to specify an oil type every time I go there?
They won't necessarily use TGMO, nor a synthetic. Here in Canada at a Lexus dealer, they will use TGMO but not synthetic unless you ask for it and pay more. Interestingly, at my local Toyota dealer, they not only use synthetic, but also TGMO. They charge 79 bucks, which is a great deal. I just prefer to do it myself.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-15, 08:21 PM   #51
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,692
Thanked 144 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsober1 View Post



There is my dip stick at 8,000 miles. I just recently did a change. No oil was added.
Oil brand and viscosity?
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 04:59 AM   #52
satiger
Lead Lap
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 659
Thanked 27 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfrog View Post
First off, lets dispel the MYTH that, you can't switch to synthetic oil if you've used dino based oils all along. You absolutely can (and should). HOWEVER......if you have a tired engine with questionable seals and gaskets, you can expect the leaks to get worse with synth. In a properly maintained and sealed engine however, synth is the way to go. I can tell you that my LS with 60k miles on it, was serviced with 5W20 dino oil at the Lexus dealer it's whole life.. When I bought it, I began using 0W20 Toyota synthetic. I now have 100k miles on it, and have done three5k mile changes , one 8k mile change and most recently, a 10k mile change. No issues. I'll add that, I also get regular oil analysis' from Blackstone Labs. Reports are consistent and excellent.

As for what is "Toyota Approved", that's easy. In North America, that will be either 0W20 or 5W20 and can be either synth or dino. It does not have to be Toyota oil, as long as it's API approved according to your manual. As for what's shipped in the factory fill, it will be dino.
Based on your earlier postings, you had to top off past 5k miles. If had done that and then did lab test, don't you think test results are some what 'corrupted'?.
satiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 08:48 AM   #53
roadfrog
Lexus Champion
 
roadfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,692
Thanked 144 Times in 130 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiger View Post
Based on your earlier postings, you had to top off past 5k miles. If had done that and then did lab test, don't you think test results are some what 'corrupted'?.
Not entirely sure how that works. My sample reflected the addition of oil over the course of the OCI, so the report also took that into consideration. Since the sump holds 9 qts of oil, it shouldn't skew the results too much. Any deposits (wear metals etc), will be in the oil regardless of how much oil is added I would assume, so I'm confident it's accurate. As for viscosity, fuel and coolant contamination, flash point, etc.....not sure... but again, I would assume that Blackstone would adjust the findings to reflect the top-ups. I don't know if you've ever submitted a sample to them, but if you have, you know that there's a section of the submission slip where you indicate amount of oil added over the course of the OCI.
roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 10:44 AM   #54
Unsober1
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: colorado
Posts: 268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Valvoline syn power 0-w20. I now have TGMO and will monitor oil. I felt really comfortable with pervious oil change, let's see how this one goes. If everything is looks good, I will try to push to 10k miles.

On a side note, toyota dealership oil changes are where it at. I called two shops in the Denver area, and both had same policy on oil changes, $79.00 for synthetic..... Here's the payoff...... That price is regaurdless of how much oil. I told both dealerships that I have a 9.5 qt sump. Both replied no problem. So I didn't stop there, I responded really, not that I'm complaining, but usually there is an upcharge. Both responded they make it up on other cars such as the Prius. Good for us I guess.
Unsober1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 03:13 PM   #55
Doublebase
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Doublebase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsober1 View Post
Valvoline syn power 0-w20. I now have TGMO and will monitor oil. I felt really comfortable with pervious oil change, let's see how this one goes. If everything is looks good, I will try to push to 10k miles.

On a side note, toyota dealership oil changes are where it at. I called two shops in the Denver area, and both had same policy on oil changes, $79.00 for synthetic..... Here's the payoff...... That price is regaurdless of how much oil. I told both dealerships that I have a 9.5 qt sump. Both replied no problem. So I didn't stop there, I responded really, not that I'm complaining, but usually there is an upcharge. Both responded they make it up on other cars such as the Prius. Good for us I guess.
So let me get this straight...that picture you took was after 8k miles? If so that's amazing to run an 8k mile interval without adding oil, and having it look that clean. How many miles on your car?

I'm running Carquest full synthetic, which is essentially rebadged Valvoline and I'm using a little oil...not a ton, but I've added half a quart after 3k miles and it's looking dirt. Prior to the Carquest stuff I was running Mobil 1.
Doublebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 03:18 PM   #56
Doublebase
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Doublebase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by satiger View Post
Based on your earlier postings, you had to top off past 5k miles. If had done that and then did lab test, don't you think test results are some what 'corrupted'?.
It changes the total base number of the oil, which is an indicator of how long you can/should go between changes. If you tell them how much you needed to add over the life of the oil change, all they will do is tell you your TBN looked good, but that was probably do to topping off.

So yeah it does kind of throw off the portion of the test where they advise you that you can go "X" amount of miles between changes. But roadfrog is right, it won't change metal or coolant levels. However I've read/heard that those numbers aren't overly meaningful anyway due to the shear size of the metal they are measuring.
Doublebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-15, 08:13 PM   #57
Unsober1
Pole Position
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: colorado
Posts: 268
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublebase View Post
So let me get this straight...that picture you took was after 8k miles? If so that's amazing to run an 8k mile interval without adding oil, and having it look that clean. How many miles on your car?

I'm running Carquest full synthetic, which is essentially rebadged Valvoline and I'm using a little oil...not a ton, but I've added half a quart after 3k miles and it's looking dirt. Prior to the Carquest stuff I was running Mobil 1.
I didn't quite make it to 8k, but my oil change maintance reminder came on over thanksgiving weekend. And that was set to 7500 miles. So I could be a few hundred miles short. 2011 AWD. Total vehicle miles are 75k. I bought the car off lease at 61k miles about a year ago. My first oil change was approxately 6k OCI and looked similar. The previous owner had a prepaid maintance agreement though lexus. According to lexus drivers website, the oil changes were perviously done at 5k intervals. I have only owned this car for 10 months and put 14k miles on it. So the oil didn't sit too long in the car.

This is my 3rd lexus, and I have never had to add oil to any of them. I had a 2000 RX that had 180k and it was getting to the add oil level when doing 5k OCI. I find it strange that adding oil is considered normal, even by lexus standard. We're there any revisions to the engine during the 2010 refresh ? Different engine code ?

Last edited by Unsober1; 12-22-15 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added to response
Unsober1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-15, 05:12 PM   #58
Doublebase
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Doublebase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsober1 View Post
I didn't quite make it to 8k, but my oil change maintance reminder came on over thanksgiving weekend. And that was set to 7500 miles. So I could be a few hundred miles short. 2011 AWD. Total vehicle miles are 75k. I bought the car off lease at 61k miles about a year ago. My first oil change was approxately 6k OCI and looked similar. The previous owner had a prepaid maintance agreement though lexus. According to lexus drivers website, the oil changes were perviously done at 5k intervals. I have only owned this car for 10 months and put 14k miles on it. So the oil didn't sit too long in the car.

This is my 3rd lexus, and I have never had to add oil to any of them. I had a 2000 RX that had 180k and it was getting to the add oil level when doing 5k OCI. I find it strange that adding oil is considered normal, even by lexus standard. We're there any revisions to the engine during the 2010 refresh ? Different engine code ?
I don't know? Maybe they changed the rings?

I do consider a little oil usage normal on any car, and technically I believe Lexus considers a half a quart per 1,000 miles "normal". Other manufacturers are higher, like Audi and BMW...they say 1 quart per 1,000 miles is normal. As for my car, usually I can make it to 5k miles without adding anything - right now on this oil change interval I have been adding a little more than usual, I figure it's because of the oil I'm currently using. Either that or my car is starting to have engine issues, if that's the case I'll be selling right away.
Doublebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-16, 05:11 PM   #59
Doublebase
Lexus Champion
Thread Starter
 
Doublebase's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,957
Thanked 50 Times in 42 Posts
Default

A Lexus dealer reached out to me the other day to see if I had any students that would be interested in an apprenticeship opportunity, while I had the shop Forman on the phone I asked him a couple of questions about our cars. I asked him about the valve guide wear rumor and the first thing he asked me is if I was using any oil, I told him about a quart every five thousand miles, he said I was fine. Evidently Lexus considers 1 quart of use every 600 miles normal. I asked him about the oil change interval and he said 5,000 miles...that the older LS460's spec'd for multiple viscocities should be changed every 5,000 miles and that he wouldn't go further. I told him the newer ones were 10k miles and he was well aware of that, but that those engines are spec'd for 0w20 oil only, which didn't make much sense to me. We both didn't have a lot of time to talk, but I did poke some fun at him because of the control arm failures...which he denied were a problem (while laughing).

I just changed my oil (6k miles), I found that the Carquest 0w20 didn't seem to hold up as it began consuming oil after 4k miles. I'm beginning to think 0w20 is too thin for my engine anyway.
Doublebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-16, 01:40 PM   #60
RandyV
Lead Lap
 
RandyV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Insane Diego, CA
Posts: 449
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

The Lexus spec for 0-W-20 oil is a scam to increase fuel economy some small fraction while sacrificing engine wear and oil use.

I'm thinking a 10-W-30 or Mobile 1 15-W-50 (that I run in my Porsche 928 GTS) is more appropriate for my SoCal climate but the dealer won't do it.
RandyV is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maintenance questions. rgs92 LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) 25 05-21-17 11:31 AM
Oil change intervals jsmchow RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) 56 05-06-16 07:58 AM
Facts about oil and what grade to choose RgSc Performance & Maintenance 39 04-21-16 06:09 PM
Oil change intervals ShunDoe Car Chat 41 03-10-16 10:19 AM
Oil change Interval gfaile ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) 18 11-30-15 08:04 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:32 AM.


Copyright © 2000-2017 Internet Brands, Inc. All Rights Reserved We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: