LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I might stop doing extended oil change intervals

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-17, 11:49 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Liqui Moly also make very good synthetic oil. What I am running in my A8. I also like their anti friction treatment. Really works well.

Amazon Amazon
Old 10-05-17, 04:03 PM
Medstar
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 2007 LS 460 and with 159K runs smoothly and in great condition without problems except for oil consumption. previously used synthetic oil from walmart 5w20 and was adding 1 to 2 quarts after 3500m when the light comes on then changed to 5w30 and still have to top off 1quart or maybe another after 3500m. Never used any additives. I drive about 180miles on highway for about two weeks a month in California. I have always done oil change every 5K since I bought the vehicle. Does anyone have any good suggestions regarding
1.Type of oil with my driving conditions and any specific brand is better and which oil do I use to top off ?0w20
2. whether to use additives
3. frequency of oil change

Last edited by Medstar; 10-05-17 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-05-17, 07:05 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Medstar
I have 2007 LS 460 and with 159K runs smoothly and in great condition without problems except for oil consumption. previously used synthetic oil from walmart 5w20 and was adding 1 to 2 quarts after 3500m when the light comes on then changed to 5w30 and still have to top off 1quart or maybe another after 3500m. Never used any additives. I drive about 180miles on highway for about two weeks a month in California. I have always done oil change every 5K since I bought the vehicle. Does anyone have any good suggestions regarding
1.Type of oil in my conditions and any specific brand is better
Well I wouldn't call your consumption overly excessive, but you could try Pennzoil Platinum, it's supposed to be an oil that does a good job cleaning an engine. And Toyota makes an additive that will do the same thing. One problem with direct injection engines is the amount of carbon they are blasting into the rings and the rings can get stuck into their lands, causing oil consumption. Someone was telling me the amount of particulates these engines are now producing are worse than Diesel engines...and techs are finding the rings so stuck that they are replacing the rings and having a hard time even getting the old rings off the piston. So perhaps your engine could use a little cleaning, probably can't harm anything.
Old 10-05-17, 08:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

1.Type of oil with my driving conditions and any specific brand is better and which oil do I use to top off ?0w20
Your consumption is similar to many of us here at CL (dare I say, MOST). Your consumption is identical to mine. Further, changing to other viscosities of oil (or brands), will not change anything. The consumption at the rates we're experiencing is considered "normal" by Lexus. These numbers are also considered normal by most manufacturers. In fact, BMW considered a qt per 900 miles as normal and would not consider any warranty based on that kind of consumption. Just keep an eye on your oil level and continue driving and enjoying relatively trouble-free operation. "It is what it is".
Old 10-05-17, 10:39 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Have you already changed the oil? Accepting oil consumption is a thing that most people say "ok" to because they don't know how to control it. This bad boy should not be burning oil. You can easily do 10K oil changes with some guidance. Feel free to reply back and I'll get you on track to do 10,000 without having to check that dipstick.
Old 10-06-17, 09:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

This bad boy should not be burning oil.
I know it's semantics, but technically they aren't "burning oil". Blow-by, consumption, maybe. If these cars were burning oil you'd see blue smoke and THEN I'd be concerned. My BMW burned oil as evidenced by the enormous cloud of blue smoke after idling for a minute or so. That repair required new valve stems/guides/seals. Our LS's aren't requiring that kind of repair. When I changed my plugs, they were clean. Also, my compression is on point for all cylinders.

It seems to be a characteristic of newer cars/engines. Consumer reports recently did a study on this phenomenon, and found that many brand new cars consume oil right off the lot. I believe Subaru was the worst of them along with Audi and BMW as well as others. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm
Old 10-06-17, 12:05 PM
Medstar
Driver School Candidate

I am driving close to 180 m a day for about two weeks a month and have to change oil every 3 months, Could that be a reason for increased oil consumption? Should I be doing anything different.
Old 10-06-17, 12:07 PM
Medstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by danielTRLK
Have you already changed the oil? Accepting oil consumption is a thing that most people say "ok" to because they don't know how to control it. This bad boy should not be burning oil. You can easily do 10K oil changes with some guidance. Feel free to reply back and I'll get you on track to do 10,000 without having to check that dipstick.
Yes, I changed a few days ago
Old 10-06-17, 12:12 PM
Medstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Your consumption is similar to many of us here at CL (dare I say, MOST). Your consumption is identical to mine. Further, changing to other viscosities of oil (or brands), will not change anything. The consumption at the rates we're experiencing is considered "normal" by Lexus. These numbers are also considered normal by most manufacturers. In fact, BMW considered a qt per 900 miles as normal and would not consider any warranty based on that kind of consumption. Just keep an eye on your oil level and continue driving and enjoying relatively trouble-free operation. "It is what it is".
I use the same 5w30 (any brand that is on sale at walmart) to top off. If i use more that a quart to top off at one time will I cause more harm to the engine. one of my local mechanics mentioned adding an oil additive every other oil change to decrease oil consumption!, is this a good idea?
Old 10-06-17, 12:18 PM
Medstar
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Well I wouldn't call your consumption overly excessive, but you could try Pennzoil Platinum, it's supposed to be an oil that does a good job cleaning an engine. And Toyota makes an additive that will do the same thing. One problem with direct injection engines is the amount of carbon they are blasting into the rings and the rings can get stuck into their lands, causing oil consumption. Someone was telling me the amount of particulates these engines are now producing are worse than Diesel engines...and techs are finding the rings so stuck that they are replacing the rings and having a hard time even getting the old rings off the piston. So perhaps your engine could use a little cleaning, probably can't harm anything.
Is Pennzoil Platinum better than Mobile1 and I am currently using any brand that comes on sale at walmart!
Old 10-06-17, 05:02 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

I know it's semantics, but technically they aren't "burning oil". Blow-by, consumption, maybe. If these cars were burning oil you'd see blue smoke and THEN I'd be concerned. My BMW burned oil as evidenced by the enormous cloud of blue smoke after idling for a minute or so. That repair required new valve stems/guides/seals. Our LS's aren't requiring that kind of repair. When I changed my plugs, they were clean. Also, my compression is on point for all cylinders.

It seems to be a characteristic of newer cars/engines. Consumer reports recently did a study on this phenomenon, and found that many brand new cars consume oil right off the lot. I believe Subaru was the worst of them along with Audi and BMW as well as others. https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...tion/index.htm
1. This is because of break in's not being done properly.

2. If it's consuming it's burning it, it's not burning it enough to blow smoke but rather over time.

3. Audi/BMW are known for very poor ring seal. They require boutique grade oils and most owners will never do that. Hence the $1200 60,000 walnut blast service, and a bunch of other issues.
Old 10-06-17, 05:09 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

I use the same 5w30 (any brand that is on sale at walmart) to top off. If i use more that a quart to top off at one time will I cause more harm to the engine. one of my local mechanics mentioned adding an oil additive every other oil change to decrease oil consumption!, is this a good idea?
Bad idea. I would never use an additive unless I was going to mask a car I wanted to sell.

Here is where I would start out with your engine.

1. Amsoil SS 0W30. We'll drop to a 20 later on based on the UOA.
2. Purolator PBL25609 oil filter
3. 2 Cans of VP Racing Fuels System Cleaner or 4 cans of Chevron Techron Fuels System cleaner. The better is VP.
4. 1 UOA
5. Use Mobil Gas with the synegery additive.
6. Use Shell if you can't access the Mobil.
7. New engine air filter.
The following users liked this post:
Medstar (10-08-17)
Old 10-08-17, 05:24 PM
Medstar
Driver School Candidate

I will start using Amsoil with the filter with my next oil change. Should i be adding VP at that time as well. I am using Costco premium currently and should I change to shell premium??? Have already changed the engine air filter couple of months ago. When do I do the UOA ? now or at my next oil change. Thanks for your input and appreciate your help Daniel.
Old 10-09-17, 07:45 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

If it's consuming it's burning it,
I'm aware. That's why I sad, "semantics". My point was explaining that other factors besides rings and seals can cause a vehicle to consume oil. One of the major causes of oil consumption on the Bimmerfest forums, was due to poorly engineered PCV systems. HOWEVER, the major cause of oil consumption (and the enormous clouds of blue smoke after idle), was due to Viton seals in the 4.4 V8 and how they sat in the engine, wearing on one side. That's a very "summarized" version of the issues we had, but hopefully you get the picture.
Old 10-09-17, 07:53 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

I'm aware. That's why I sad, "semantics". My point was explaining that other factors besides rings and seals can cause a vehicle to consume oil. One of the major causes of oil consumption on the Bimmerfest forums, was due to poorly engineered PCV systems. HOWEVER, the major cause of oil consumption (and the enormous clouds of blue smoke after idle), was due to Viton seals in the 4.4 V8 and how they sat in the engine, wearing on one side. That's a very "summarized" version of the issues we had, but hopefully you get the picture.
This is true.

Meds, Just use one bottle of VP for now every 5K. Keep that engine air filter new every 10,000 miles.

Get a UOA on your next oil change. Whenever that may be.

Costco is good, but Shell is best. I was once told the difference is $500 a year. If the difference, I'm not sure what it may be, is not big, go with the Shell V-Power.

Also, mix 2 gallons of ethanol into every tank from now on. So if your tank is 15 gallons, fill in 13 V-Power 93, then fill in 2 E85. Always put the ethanol in last.